Item Preview Its Tuesday

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ikimono

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

I feel like this item was designed specifically for Nocturne.

Ikimono

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus567 View Post
Gives me hope that Warwick might be viable S3. That is, until Teemo gets a Hurricane....
He's viable right now. Just niche.

Woozl

11-14-2012

How do you sleep at night knowing you have the power to bring such wonders to the world?

Theorycrafter

11-14-2012

Question - why reduced lifesteal on cleave? I think this might be very helpful to autoattack melee carries get back into the meta (finally), I don't think it's that much prone to abuse.

Frankly speaking, Hurricane feels stronger utility-wise, while weaker stats-wise.
I'm curious how you'll go around making both feel satisfying choices for ranged and melee's respectively.

Backup4now

11-14-2012

Why is this item limited to melee champions? Is riot scared of buffing ranged ADC further? By 'trap' item, he obviously means "item like Infinity Edge that you just can't go without'. Making a Tiamat that you only need one of ruins some tiamat-reliant builds, and then you go on ahead and don't let ranged champions get tiamats, so now they can't have that particular situational (Or in my case, required) item.

Rivini

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
Shaco's clone is weird. I'd have to dig around his internals a bit.
That doesn't sound right. =\

Kise

11-14-2012

How will this work with Elise's spider form and spiderlings? I can only dream that there'd be 6 waves of tiamat splashes going off.

DeadH4nd

11-14-2012

Quote:
A game that is not fun is not fulfilling it's purpose so maximising fun should be your number one priority. I guarantee that absolutely no-one would care if you had fun items along side your competitive items.
Would people care if I had trap items alongside competitive items? The answer to this is almost always 'yes, why are trap items even in the game?' If the current Tiamat was removed, more people would have less bad games due to the non-existence of a troll with Tiamat, thus increasing net overall fun - mostly because the portion of serious games dwarfs in magnitudes the amount of non-serious games.

"You can make the utilitarian argument for 'fun' in a lot of ways - but non-serious items, at their core, always come with a negative fun cost for existing strictly by the nature of their non-viability. If not for the person using it, then for your teammates that suffer when you choose to build a joke item."
-Xypherous

I'm sorry but are you kidding me? This is ridiculous! Punish the PLAYER not the item. Tiamat is excellently fun and interesting item. If Tiamat truly had issues, why did they not get addressed sooner? For an item that has existed so long it seems odd to me that Riot would allow such a "flawed" item to exist. If players are trolling with an item then punish them. I have seen numerous situations where people buy 6 normal boots, the fact is ANY item can be a troll item and this Tiamet rebuild sucks because its not good on ADC Kayle anymore and I am pissed because of that. Also stacking Tiamats is truly FUN. Let people do it, competitive players know to steer clear of this risky niche item. Instead make it clear enough for people building it to know that it may not be the best choice on Vayne or Kogmaw.

VoodooSaviorNBK

11-14-2012

Looks awesome.

SirLancelotz

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
Hello again Summoners. Continuing from my initial discussion [url2="http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=31152189"]here[/url2] of upcoming itemization changes for the preseason, Id like to talk about a current item to which were making changes, as well as its new and exciting upgrade.

Its Tuesday. You know whats coming.

For a very long time, Tiamat has been sitting in this quasi-state of Is this a good item? Is this a terrible item? No longer. Weve cleaned up Tiamat to be far more streamlined in the new item set, giving it a larger cleave range (at the cost of reduced damage near the edge) and greater synergy with other items by removing the restriction of dealing damage based on the damage of the original attack.

So whats different?

1. It has a Unique Passive. Tiamats no longer stack to form odd cases where you deal more damage to a secondary target than the primary target.
2. Tiamat no longer cares about the damage you deal with your main attack; thus, Tiamat procs dont need you to itemize heavy critical strike in order to take advantage of dealing crazy damage. You will always deal a set amount of splash damage based on your Attack Damage.
3. It has a short-cooldown active that allows you to perform a stronger version of the passive Cleave at any time.
4. It is Melee Only, meaning it is no longer a trap item on ranged characters. The active and passive components will literally turn off and be unusable for ranged characters, with the same effect kicking in for dual form characters such as Jayce or Nidalee when theyre in ranged form.
5. It has a much larger cleave radius, at the expense of damage falloff.
6. It no longer has mana regeneration.
7. It has an upgrade.

Lets examine how this might affect your use of Tiamat:

1. It lets you clear minion waves more quickly

Having a larger passive cleave and an active cleave allows melee fighters or carries who pick up Tiamat to farm waves more efficiently, granting decent wave-clear ability to characters who lack it. Characters like Poppy, for example, can now clear a wave with Tiamat in a relatively short amount of time through a combination of passive and active procs.

2. It makes your burst combo more flexible

Having the active Crescent ability means an additional AoE physical spell that you can weave in to your burst combos. A Riven, for example, might take the time to use the Crescent active in between her dashes while a Fiora would want to use Crescent as soon as she descends upon a target with Lunge.

3. It can be used effectively by a wider variety of characters and be useful in more situations

Being built out of high Health Regeneration and Attack Damage gives Tiamat a very smooth build up path for the early game. With the ability to itemize both heavy regeneration and attack damage early in the game you can gain a very strong staying presence in lane.

The Upgrade

Introducing Ravenous Hydra, a life steal upgrade for Tiamat. While it doesnt enhance any of the damaging aspects of Tiamat, Ravenous Hydra allows you to drain from surrounding enemies via your life steal statistic. This can grant melee fighters incredible staying power when outnumbered or assaulting the front lines. While Hydra wont decimate teams on its own without a huge amount of Attack Damage, the combination of the active ability and life steal will allow experienced players to gain a burst of healing by using Crescent to attack and drain multiple enemy champions.

But wait! Im a Ranged Carry type of player. What do I get in order to do AoE damage?

Stay Tuned.

-Xypherous

• [url2="http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=31152189"]Preseason Itemization Preview[/url2]
  • [url2="http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2777657"]Item Preview Tons of Mana, just one Tear[/url2]
  • [url2="http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2780671"]Item Preview Dust Sweeping[/url2]
On the EU west server you mentioned that tiamet is being removed because its a "trap item" that punishes players who get stuck playing with a guy using it. I don't think this is fair. Firstly, players learn through experience and having lvl 10 + players become "trapped" because they don't anticipate the use of this item has never happened. Secondly, by removing this item because you want to prevent "troll builds" and furthermore "troll players" you're punishing the entire community when you should be punishing the player. This item has validity. Granted it is a niche item, but it has value. I believe you're making a mistake. I think instead of removing it, you should keep it and add the new items, just make them non compatable. Please keep the game fun for casual creative/fun builds with the serious competative ones.