Duo top lanes, do they ever work?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RYP Jericho

07-29-2013

I'm speaking strictly of people who are level 30+, I understand at lower levels it's very uncommon to see a jungler and thus a duo top is their meta. I've been up against 4 or 5 duo tops in the last two weeks (playing top in each case). By freezing the wave in front of my turret I've been able to keep up fairly close to the combined cs of my opponents, making our team outscale them because our jungler and I combine for much more gold than the two opposing tops. The logic seems to be that they'll bully the solo top laner out of lane and take down an early turret, but that has yet to work.

I always assumed that I was doing ok because i was shen (fairly solid at 1v2s) and was running teleport, but in my last game I was playing rumble for the first time ever. I managed to not only outfarm my opponents, I was winning in kills as well (though I did have a very good jungler who was around for when they came in hyper aggressive).

My question is, what is the benefit to running a duo top lane? You starve your gold income and if you can't take the top tower early your team falls behind the entire game. I can't see why this strategy has been making a comeback.

Blitztrooper

07-29-2013

I think against Teemo or someone like that?

To just shut them down hard.

Moon Rabbit

07-29-2013

It does

But you have to end the game before lategame comes

CLG Uzi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-29-2013

It only works if the solo top lane is garbage. Especially if you have a global it's like auto win. I mean they might get a top turret MAYBE and you have dragon, bot turret, mid turret, their blue and red? Worth.

ZultanTheAmazing

07-30-2013

Some of my best top lane games happened when no one called jungle in champ select, and we had two people up top. It works only if you can take that turret or force the enemy to base. Bonus points if the jungler has to gank super early and ends up not doing much because you thought ahead and also got a ward or two to place near the entrances to the river/jungle. But I've had people act very snobby and not want to duo lane, as if having a jungler is %100 the rule of the game. So you also have to put up with that from time to time.

Jordan T7

07-30-2013

not in low cotton elo, never

Blessed Raven

07-30-2013

I dont get to test it enough to know but I would think it has potential. As long as you pick two ranged characters and deny them hard the entire lane.

Strilter

07-30-2013

If you understand that by being top your giving up exp and you keep your jungle warded so that when the counter jungle comes... because it will that you catch and execute the enemy jangle

mostly though its all about pressure

Vieryn

07-30-2013

I've found that 2v1 top lanes are actually pretty easy to counter as the solo top. It's relaxing. You don't worry about over extending and getting caught by their jungle, your jungle can run around and harass lane and no one anywhere ever has to worry about a gank from the enemy jungle. Wards are of course still necessary, but the threat is minimal. Early game, when this can be useful if they can get to your turret, it's still a negligible threat if you stick by your turret and your jungle doesn't completely abandon you.

ineptclutch

07-30-2013

Playing a solo top lane against 2 people is one of the easiest lanes in the game. Most of them don't even ward. So I farm under my turret and when my jungle decides to come up top it's a free double kill.