@Lyte, I'd enjoy the game more if your standards for behavior were relaxed a bit.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TrolImanship

Senior Member

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxie View Post
because insulting people is never called for.
Never?
Team refuses to leash for the jungler and then rages at him for not ganking soon enough?
Jungler gets 1 vs 1'd in his own jungle while his solo top farms for 10 seconds ignoring ping spams half a screen away?
0/3 lvl 3 solo top rages at you to gank the lvl 8 enemy Darius or he'll report you?
Alistar feels like headbutting your buff over the wall at lvl 1?
Support is walking around stunning creeps and healing himself (while he's full hp) while you get poked to death under your tower then asks in all chat to report you for picking Twitch?

Yeah, guess I deserve a ban for insulting these guys. Not called for at all. I feel so ashamed.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

2pudge1cup

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrolImanship View Post
>9 other players
>Mundo is afk
>complaining about surrendering in a 4 vs 5 not justified

LET'S BAN HIM!
as much as i hate the > i lol'ed


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Futurecat

Senior Member

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxie View Post
Again, it's not about sensitivity. I would have reported you if you had called a teammate that, because insulting people is never called for. If someone is trolling you, mute them, take a breath, realize it's a game, finish it out, report them for trolling and move on. You gain nothing but additional frustration and, as you've seen, quite a few reports for getting angry at them.

Don't get me wrong, I know it's frustrating; I have the luxury of being able to vent in voicechat to the friends I play with. But the fact is that if you were reported enough for getting baited by trolls to wind up in the tribunal, there is a behavior problem.
I disagree. This issue is absolutely about sensitivity. If you are oversensitive to the point of abusrdity, perhaps responding with a "stfu you moron" when you are getting flamed and harassed constitutes a behavioral problem.

What if I did that at work? If a co-worker was standing outside my office yelling things like "oh my god this guy" "wow i hate having to work with people like this", and i said "shut the **** up you moron", would I get in trouble for that? Nope. At least not in the tech industry The other dude would, though.

Apply the same logic to any number of situations. It's about the sensitivity of that environment.

So then the question becomes: how sensitive do we want this online video game to be? I'd argue: not this extreme. Tone it down.

Judging by this thread I am not alone after all


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

tribunalconsp

Member

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxie View Post
Again, it's not about sensitivity. I would have reported you if you had called a teammate that, because insulting people is never called for. If someone is trolling you, mute them, take a breath, realize it's a game, finish it out, report them for trolling and move on. You gain nothing but additional frustration and, as you've seen, quite a few reports for getting angry at them.

Don't get me wrong, I know it's frustrating; I have the luxury of being able to vent in voicechat to the friends I play with. But the fact is that if you were reported enough for getting baited by trolls to wind up in the tribunal, there is a behavior problem.
What do you when you drive a car and some guy cuts you off? Are you happy about it?

What if you cut him off inadvertently and he calls you a ****wad? How do you deal with that, do you call the police, or do you flip him the bird and tell him that he's a ****ing ******?

This games ethical code is ridiculous. It's like a page out of popular media, where nobody is expected to use profanity, nobody is allowed to point out mistakes, nobody is allowed to even make dirty jokes, because SOME ******* could get offended.


If you honestly expect me to believe your behavior is that saintly when you're alone with your friends in real life, I'd have to call bull**** on you, or seriously consider your sanity.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Futurecat

Senior Member

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pudge1cup View Post
as much as i hate the > i lol'ed
The sad part is this *actually happened*. I got a warning for that case, with a majority "punish" vote. W - T - F. This system has gone off the deep end, and it needs to be dialed back.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ChainedOne

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribunalconsp View Post
It's a generational gap. Kids these days can't take any criticism in any form. Crack a joke, or banter and it's "trolling".

People who were born in the 80's, or earlier know what I'm talking about, although it's kind of ironic how my generation invented school shootings....

Point is that people are letting trivial things disturb them so much emotionally that they can't deal with anything anymore.


It's one thing to go out of your way to harass somebody and put them down, it's another entirely to say something ridiculous, or tease somebody and get reported for it. When I first played this game, people would trash talk each other all game.. and we'd say "gg" at the end, because we were having fun while doing it.

Now, you use the slightest expletive and you get reported, regardless of context.. and inevitably banned. The atmosphere went from being tense to a bed of nails and glass, where the slightest mistake, bad pun etc. will lead to a mass report and ban.

It's all done for the sake of saving Riot money as well. Kind of disgusting, but we live in these frugal times. Having fun for free has its price, at least in this game it sure as hell does.

Excusing your lack of evidence of making this a case of "newer generation problems" (since we have no statistics on Tribunal Age compared to Punishment style), I get the feeling that people are expanding this issue to something it is not.

Like I said before, there is NO reason to get mad at this game. If someone is "getting in your face" then ignore them. You don't need to clash with them and ruin the game for the other 3 people on your team.

Yes, everyone loses their cool sometimes. I have lost my cool at this game. I admit I MIGHT have cursed at my teammates when I first started playing over a year and a half ago, but this game has actually taught me ways to deal with my frustration. I might yell out loud in my room about something happening in game, but I will never curse or yell at a teammate. There is no reason to. It doesn't help you or them do any better.

It takes so much effort to actually insult someone through LoL. This isn't Xbox Live where you can just yell, you actually have to think of something insulting to type, type it out, then hit enter. That is plenty of time to stop yourself (I know, because I have stopped myself before).

TL: DR No reason to insult a teammate. Ever.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mxie

Senior Member

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrolImanship View Post
Never?
Team refuses to leash for the jungler and then rages at him for not ganking soon enough?
Jungler gets 1 vs 1'd in his own jungle while his solo top farms for 10 seconds ignoring ping spams half a screen away?
0/3 lvl 3 solo top rages at you to gank the lvl 8 enemy Darius or he'll report you?
Alistar feels like headbutting your buff over the wall at lvl 1?
Support is walking around stunning creeps and healing himself (while he's full hp) while you get poked to death under your tower then asks in all chat to report you for picking Twitch?

Yeah, guess I deserve a ban for insulting these guys. Not called for at all. I feel so ashamed.
I'd hang my head in shame at him, but I wouldn't insult him. Apparently I'm one of very few people who would do that. And someone threatening you with a report if you don't do something is, amusingly enough, a reportable offense. And never worry about someone saying "report X for picking Y," because even in the offchance that the tribunal would punish that, Riot has specifically said that champion picks aren't punishable; as long as you actually try with your weird pick, and there is evidence of this, you will have an easy appeal to Riot.

And being angry at people and insulting them are two very different things. Like I said, I get mad at people all the time, but that doesn't mean it's okay to insult them.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Futurecat

Senior Member

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainedOne View Post
TL: DR No reason to insult a teammate. Ever.
I agree with this.

Do you think people who do insult a teammate deserve to be banned, in all cases?

(Underlying point: there is a difference between "behavior we disagree with" and "behavior we want to see punished and/or forcibly removed from the environment")


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mxie

Senior Member

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribunalconsp View Post
What do you when you drive a car and some guy cuts you off? Are you happy about it?

What if you cut him off inadvertently and he calls you a ****wad? How do you deal with that, do you call the police, or do you flip him the bird and tell him that he's a ****ing ******?

This games ethical code is ridiculous. It's like a page out of popular media, where nobody is expected to use profanity, nobody is allowed to point out mistakes, nobody is allowed to even make dirty jokes, because SOME ******* could get offended.

If you honestly expect me to believe your behavior is that saintly when you're alone with your friends in real life, I'd have to call bull**** on you, or seriously consider your sanity.
I do neither. I shout with my window still up (and believe me, I do this a lot). If I cut him off and he insults me, I'll probably be angry for a bit, but I don't get baited. But I guess not getting baited is a trait that I share with very few people.

And I've said before that I do get mad, quite easily, actually. But I don't take it out on others.

Edit: realized I missed a bit of your post. Speaking for myself, I don't report people for being offensive (well, for a given value of "offensive"), but I will report someone that is rude or makes the experience unpleasant. I play games to have fun; if someone is insulting their teammates, I know I wouldn't want to be the person getting insulted, so I report them. I actually very rarely report people that insult me, as long as it's only once, or if I make a stupid play and deserve to be called out.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Futurecat

Senior Member

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxie View Post
I do neither. I shout with my window still up (and believe me, I do this a lot). If I cut him off and he insults me, I'll probably be angry for a bit, but I don't get baited. But I guess not getting baited is a trait that I share with very few people.

And I've said before that I do get mad, quite easily, actually. But I don't take it out on others.
No one is saying there aren't people who never get baited, never insult, never lose their tempers. I'm glad there are such people.

Do you think League of Legends is a game that only these kinds of people should be allowed to play?