Dragon Trainer Lulu and Bioforge Darius

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sinafae

11-14-2012

As an animator myself I definitely appreciate the adorable, polished animations that all LoL characters get - that kind of quality level for animations is very rare in videogames! I'd say pretty much only Blizzard and Riot have reached this kind of quality in their character animations, and some asian MMOs, almost every other game's character animations range from "allright, average user will accept" to "laughably bad".

As a support player, I was SO looking forward to this skin. However, this is too expensive, even with the added animations (but I do think that legendary skins are too expensive too - you can buy 2 games on steam for their prices -.-).

There are much less support players than other types, and as a result support characters get less skins than the popular carries, so when FINALLY a skin comes out for one of my fav characters, it upsets me that it's priced higher than skins for the much more popular champions

Haibei

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunderscore13 View Post
Hey Summoners! First off, let me introduce myself: I'm an animator here at Riot and one of my projects was to animate the dragon version of Pix for the Dragon Trainer Lulu skin. I wanted to take a few moments to explain some of our thought process behind making this skin happen.

Originally, this skin was going to be treated similarly to Lulu's other skins with the dragon version of Pix being a very simple character with only few utilitarian animations. However, as we further explored this version of Lulu, the team felt like we were missing an opportunity to breathe life into the character of Pix, which up until this point had a limited animation set. So, in our continuing mission to delight players and raise the quality of our skins, we took the time to really develop Pix into the charming and whimsical being that he was always meant to be. This included adding an entire new animation set to Pix, including attacks, emotes, run variants, and more. I tried to make this version of Pix a fitting companion for Lulu by appropriating some of the silly elements of Lulu's personality that make her so endearing.

This is the first time we’ve taken a secondary pet character in the game and really given it the full treatment. On top of that, the skin received an adorable new model and what are arguably some of the coolest particles in the game. Not only does this skin open up doors for similar treatment on future Lulu skins, but also provides insight into ways we could bring even more personality to other secondary "pet" characters in our game.

After all was said and done, we felt the value it brought to the characters of Lulu and Pix as a whole was above and beyond what players would expect from this skin. On behalf of the skins team, I hope you all enjoy the skin and all the hard work and love we put into it.
Hello theunderscore13. I would just like to thank you and the team for putting in so much hard work into Dragon Trainer Lulu. It truly shows through all of Pix's new facial expressions and I think you've definitely succeeded in giving Pix personality. But I'm afraid that I have to agree with the majority of the other summoners, and I just don't think this skin merits it's price tag. This is not meant to be taken offensively, in fact you should take it as a compliment. You've succeeded in making a champion's in game companion more appealing than the champion herself. Lulu just seems bland in comparison standing next to your wonderfully animated Pix and I believe that's where most of the summoner's frustrations are stemming from.

It's because of this I urge you NOT to lower the price of Dragon Trainer Lulu. Doing so would be a horrible injustice to all of the hard work you and the team have put in. Rather, I challenge you to bring Lulu up to par and actually raise the price. Add some custom animations and spice up the Lulu portion of the skin a bit, and you will forever be known as the Rioter who made a Legendary skin for one of the league's newest and most loved champions completely and totally by accident. Whether you choose to acknowledge my challenge or not, I'm still extremely grateful to you and Riot in general for all of the wonderful content that you continuously release.

NeilPatrickTaric

11-14-2012

I would gladly buy this skin for 1350 if her ult maybe turned the target into a giant dragon for it's duration. it would make her seem much more worth it.. and people may even gladly pay a legendary price for that. as of now, theres nothing really that spectacular about this skin to warrant a higher price than 975. You guys did a wonderful job at the animations for pix, but you said it yourself that he was always suppose to feel much more... lively. so why not go back and fix the original pix instead of charging people extra cash for what was originally intended for the character?

DaJear Boltok

11-14-2012

What a bunch of cheapskates.
are only 1350, I do not know why you cry so much.
Nobody is forcing them to buy it XD!!!!!!
Anyways..qqqqqq

NeilPatrickTaric

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keelorel View Post
What a bunch of cheapskates.
are only 1350, I do not know why you cry so much.
Nobody is forcing them to buy it XD!!!!!!
Anyways..qqqqqq
seriously? so, since this is completely overpriced, we're cheapskates?
why don't you go buy a ferrari, ya cheapskate!
we're allowed to be upset that they're charging so much for something so mediocre.
it shows us the direction they're taking with pricing skins in the future.
" we fixed lulu's fae friend and made him out to be what we originally intended when creating the champion, now give us an extra 5 dollars for doing YOU the courtesy of doing so"

pinimbi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

Riot Really Should Rework Old Skins, like Tristanas legendary skin and Brolaf Legendary skin, not saying their bad, but those skins are not THAT good like the new ones :C

Darklightning

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

Everyone is flaming Riot, and I am in full agreement that I like the skin but don't want to pay 1350 for it. I think the biggest problem here is most of us don't like the fact that price point is just a hair higher than we value it and that frustrates us. Many of us want it, just not at the 1350, so we are yelling and complaining about the injustice of the higher price point hoping Riot will budge so we won't have to fork out more money.

Solution: Wait. Riot has skin sales. They didn't make this a limited availability skin. I checked. That was my only concern. I can wait until Riot brings the price of the skin down for those of us who refuse to spend that much money on a skin.

Riot is out to make money. They're a company. Yes, they want all your money, and I mean all of it. You want all of your money too and probably other people's money (otherwise the lottery wouldn't be so popular). We're all greedy. That's the beauty of capitalism. Eventually their greed for more money will result in a decrease in cost to their endless commodity (the Lulu skin) and they will lower the price to pull in more buyers (like us who want it but not at that price).

If Riot reads this, good work on the Pix make over. Keep up the quality improvements. I want to thank the animator who spent so much time bringing Pix to life. Someday, I want to work for you guys, even if it means getting flamed by the fans of my work!

So now that you've all been scolded by one of your peers whacha gonna do? Flame him? Bring it on!

I will see you in the League of Legends... eventually with the new Lulu skin, hopefully... if they bring the price down... <sigh>

Kreshno

11-14-2012

If only a full Legendary skin was 1350 that will be great or the price of Surprise Partay Fid Legendary would be great.

Yasuchika

11-14-2012

50% price increase on anything with no apparent added value is ridiculous, rather than this skin being improved quality it just gives them an excuse to make 975RP skins of lower quality like this Bioforge Darius.

Skins are already expensive for what you get, but some people don't seem to care about the value of money.

Captain Prinny

11-14-2012

This Lulu skin contributes nothing new or groundbreaking enough to be worth 1350 RP. It just doesn't. No thanks, Riot. Would be fine at the standard price point. But I've seen how you guys "test the waters" with new price points in the past and the community has looked blindly at it before. Just no.