stack up Archangel staff?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SixSixSex

07-23-2011

So, last night I was in a 5 vs 5 with my karthus. Fought another Karthus at mid lane.. He was a bit unskilled i must say... after we won the match, I took my time to look at everyones status and builds...

I commented at other Karthus build... since my build was pretty much standard CDR boots, frozen heart, rod of ages/archangel staff , deathcap,banshee, and shurelya at end game... he Had 3 archangel staff, mag pen boots and 1 banshee at end game...
I said in chat it was a weird build, but my teamates said its the best build for AP...

Now, I have a question... with 3 Archangel, would i have 3k mp increase and 9% of it converted into AP? cuase i had the impression the 2 adds on archangel were unique, so stacking them wouldnt make difference... can someone plz clarify it to me?

Cradum

07-23-2011

It is unique, it'll only take the effect of one archangel's and convert it into AP. But, i think where they are thinking illogically is that it'll keep stacking mana and therefore % number into AP will be larger.

It's true, since archangel does have a 1000 mana increase cap, but it's a waste of money to buy three of them. If he was so desperate to get archangels, or benefit from the increased mana, it'd be best to buy 1 archangels, and substitute the other archangels that he got with Tear of Goddess. It would essentially be the same thing, but cheaper.

Ducktaped

07-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cradum View Post
It is unique, it'll only take the effect of one archangel's and convert it into AP. But, i think where they are thinking illogically is that it'll keep stacking mana and therefore % number into AP will be larger.

It's true, since archangel does have a 1000 mana increase cap, but it's a waste of money to buy three of them. If he was so desperate to get archangels, or benefit from the increased mana, it'd be best to buy 1 archangels, and substitute the other archangels that he got with Tear of Goddess. It would essentially be the same thing, but cheaper.
No, the conversion to AP is not unique, only the mana per spell component is. Do your research before spreading information.

Febo Apolo

07-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cradum View Post

2 mistakes here...
3%mana toap NOT unique
the +1000 mana are not for the item, thats for the champ itself (you keep the mana even after selling the item

PhailRaptor

Adjudicator

07-23-2011

For pure total AP, a Deathcap and 5 Archangel's gives the maximum possible. The reason you see it on Karthas and no one else is that Karthus does not need to survive a teamfight to be effective in it, thanks to his passive. He can be focused down in less than 3 seconds when built as a glass cannon, but then he can do whatever he wants uninterrupted for the next 8(?) seconds.

While not conducive to one's K/D/A ratio, it is an effective strategy for obliterating the opposition.

Mystgan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSixSex View Post
So, last night I was in a 5 vs 5 with my karthus. Fought another Karthus at mid lane.. He was a bit unskilled i must say... after we won the match, I took my time to look at everyones status and builds...

I commented at other Karthus build... since my build was pretty much standard CDR boots, frozen heart, rod of ages/archangel staff , deathcap,banshee, and shurelya at end game... he Had 3 archangel staff, mag pen boots and 1 banshee at end game...
I said in chat it was a weird build, but my teamates said its the best build for AP...

Now, I have a question... with 3 Archangel, would i have 3k mp increase and 9% of it converted into AP? cuase i had the impression the 2 adds on archangel were unique, so stacking them wouldnt make difference... can someone plz clarify it to me?
Why would you ever get cdr boots on karthus? Karhtus doesnt need cdr coz his Q has only 1s cd, his E is a toggle and his W and R really dont need the cdr for that.

Eerrman

07-25-2011

.6 seconds is a lower cd than 1 second, ofc,

Thats 1.6x the deathbombs.

Not shabby on ult or wall either.

zingaz

11-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febo Apolo View Post
2 mistakes here...
3%mana toap NOT unique
the +1000 mana are not for the item, thats for the champ itself (you keep the mana even after selling the item

ok i dont now much about this item but if its true u keep the mana even if u sell it would be a little broken can someone clarify this for me then u could just get the tear and get the mana over and over can someone explain this to me plz

67chrome

11-22-2012

The 3% max mana converted to bonus AP isn't unique on AAS for whatever reason (similar to Warmog's health/regen bonuses not being unique, or Bloodthirster's bonus life steal/AD not being unique, or Rod of Ages bonus stats per minute not being unique). So, stacking a lot of those 3% bonuses gives you loads of AP.

The Tear of the Goddess potential 1000 bonus mana (and whatever bonus rejuvneation) is unique on AAS though, so you'll only get the ~500 mana for each stave after the first rather than ~1500 mana.

5 Archangel Staves and a Deathcap gives you the highest possible AP in the game, but it's not the greatest idea. Investing in something like a Void Staff somewhere in there would likely cause you to output more damage, and added survivability from health and magic resistance will end up causing you to be more effective overall. That said, Karthus is probably the best champion to do glass-cannon AP on, as his passive still allows him plenty of time to deal damage.

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit50 View Post
ok i dont now much about this item but if its true u keep the mana even if u sell it would be a little broken can someone clarify this for me then u could just get the tear and get the mana over and over can someone explain this to me plz
First, major necro; you could have posted your own thread asking how AAS works.

Second, in its current iteration, the bonus 1k mana does not stack but the 3% Mana to AP ratio does. The extra 1k mana is attached to the item, so if you sell it then it's gone.

Third and last, Riot's reworking items like crazy, so what I've just told you is probably only going to be true for less than a month.