Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The MIA Factbook [Reposted]

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ApOKelypse

10-06-2010

Often I have seen players confused about the meaning of mia, and how it works. This thread is to clear this up. Before you say I must be in the low player range, no, because I am level 28 and usually teamed up with the same level unless matchmaking is broken (oh wait).

Well, anyway, at least someone will hopefully benefit from this thread.

Off the bat: What is MIA?
MIA, or miss, is said when a player in a particular lane is missing, or missing in action.

What is it used for?
It is used to notify teammates of a possible gank, so that you're being proactive, instead of reactive.

How do you use it?
Just say "mia", along with the names of the players you believe to be missing (forgot to say that, thanks Sheenah) when you believe an enemy player is missing from your lane. Even if he may be just hiding in a brush, it's better to be safe than sorry, so that the squishy veigar on your team doesn't get killed.

What are scenarios where this would be useful?
MIA is useful in 3v3 more than 5v5 (due to how lanes are so close in proximity to each other in 3v3), but it is still good to say it in 5v5. There are some things which you can't tell that quickly (if someone teleports with the summoner spell or a TF's destiny), but in these cases, you can look for a rapid orange wire wrapping around an enemy unit, or destiny on
your buff/debuff bar, respectively.

There is also a different perspective to whether it is more useful in 3v3 or 5v5: Since in 3v3, matches are relatively quicker (most of the time), another option would be to put wards around the place. This thread's underlying meaning is actually to make people call mias more often, now that they see the usefulness of it. Judging by the downvotes, people must think this goes without saying, but in my experience, the majority of my games have had at least one or two people not calling mia

It is mostly the player's responsibility to get themselves to safety, as they need to judge whether they should leave, but I would advise you not to follow your lane opponents, as some people have suggested, in the case that you may become the recipient of a gank by walking right into a trap.

Hope this helps.

RedOnesGoFasta

10-06-2010

Just to add to this:

MIAM - Missing in action middle
MIAB - Missing in action bottom
MIAT - Missing in action top

ThePolishOne

10-06-2010

If you have the time, its good to say which champ is MIA. Saying Master Yi is MIA can alert a player as to what the danger is. Saying Twitch (who is a stealth champ) is also a big deal, so try to add which champ if possible.

ApOKelypse

10-07-2010

bump so as to let more new players read it.

Zephr0us

10-12-2010

do you have to say MIA when you just killed a champ? I just got raged at for not calling mia when the enemy ganked someone immediately after respawning.

Flying Onion

10-13-2010

To clear some stuff up:

Quote:
MIA is useful in 3v3 more than 5v5 (due to how lanes are so close in proximity to each other in 3v3), but it is still good to say it in 5v5.

This is not true. In Twisted Treeline it is much easier to keep track of all enemy champions, so MIAs are not as expected. It's still smart to call MIA and warn your teammates, of course, but don't rage on your teammates if they don't call MIA. On Summoner's Rift, tracking and calling MIA on your lane opponent is your responsibility.

Quote:
do you have to say MIA when you just killed a champ? I just got raged at for not calling mia when the enemy ganked someone immediately after respawning.

Eventually you'll get a feel for how long it takes a dead opponent to respawn and return to your lane, and if they seem late, call MIA. Your teammates should understand that a respawning champion doesn't necessarily return to the same lane and should play accordingly.

Quote:
Just to add to this:

MIAM - Missing in action middle
MIAB - Missing in action bottom
MIAT - Missing in action top

I've never seen this personally, and it seems like it would just cause confusion. Just name who is missing. (e.g. "Panth miss&quot

Other tips:

--For slow typists (like me), it's often quicker and clearer to ping three times in line in the direction you think your opponent is moving, especially when you see them sneaking off to go gank mid. Believe me, your teammate will back up real quick.

--In addition to MIA, you can call b ("Shen is b&quot when you see them recalling, particularly if you think the opponent will go gank after healing.

--When you spot the opponent again, type "re" for return. Not totally necessary, but it can help.

Gaimcap

10-13-2010

I would like to second pinging 3 times in a line if you think you know or see where they're going. Mia's often go un-noticed in the middle of laning, but 3 ping noises and a flashing green dot moving along your minimap is definitely going to catch your attention.

My calls ussually go something like "mia bot" *ping* *ping* *ping* "care mid" "inc [champ name]". varying upon how active i have to be in my lane.

inc is short for Incoming.