Potentially broken comeback mechanics

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HaIfhearted

11-12-2012

First of all, I'm not 100% sure about this, since I haven't tested it myself.
However, the implications of this, if true, are serious enough that I feel the need to share the information.

-------

Anyways, for those of you who don't know about them yet, Dominion has a comeback mechanic in the form of modified respawn timers.
On top of the "wave-respawn" mechanics, there are also "comeback-respawn" mechanics that are supposed to increase or decrease the time it takes to respawn by +2/-2 seconds, depending on whether you are ahead or behind in Nexus health.
The team that's ahead takes 2 seconds longer to respawn after death, and the team that is behind takes 2 seconds less to respawn after death.

If you've ever seen someone at the start of the game waiting to start capturing their mid point until someone on the enemy team starts capping, this is why.

The comeback timers are supposed to turn on only after a team gains a decent advantage and turn off/switch when the teams are even or they get ahead.

However, I have heard that the comeback mechanics are broken, in that they:
1) turn on the moment a team gets a point advantage (even if its just 1 point)
and
2) never turn off or switch if that team pulls ahead.

If this is true, then the "comeback" mechanics have the potential to turn into "snowball" mechanics that only benefit the team that initially received them, and these modified timers could easily change the outcome of a game.

Nome or Die

Game Designer

11-12-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

If anyone else has ran into this, let me know.

urmamasllama

11-12-2012

worth looking into i know that they don't really scale and just go straight to +2 -2 at a one point difference but if they don't switch thats an even more major bug\

1. to anyone who wants to test it here is my reccomended test pattern. you get one person per side one caps their mid then the other caps theirs.

2. each player goes and suicides in to the laser and reports their death timer.

3. then the side that had the timer advantage caps the top point and holds it till the other team gets the advantage

4. each side suicides in the lasers again and reports their death timers

5. repeat step two and three and four a few times to get a good sample

Xarkanadushak

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

he's right about the first point the comeback timers come into effect immediately, however i always keep an eye on them and it does switch depending on who's ahead, but the respawns also happen in rounds (if you've noticed even if people die a couple seconds appart they respawn at almost the same time)) and it doesn't switch mid round

urmamasllama

11-12-2012

i really want to test having the wave respawn system removed on the pbe

Vsin

11-12-2012

I've known about the 1 point difference one for a while now. Not sure about the spawn timers never flipping though.

MrSmileyy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNome View Post
If anyone else has ran into this, let me know.
the 1 point has been an issue since release, and talked about since then (I know you weren't here then) its really a problem when games are actually close, teams even in skill, but one wins because they were 5 points behind and thus respawned faster

Sauron

11-12-2012

The 1 point difference is such a well known issue that it was in the first edition of my Dominion guide I posted at the beginning of this year. There's still a section on it in the first post of the current guide.

The wave respawn timers never turning off would explain why I'm getting 25 second respawn timers and they're getting 21 at the end of the game, and we're the ones down 100 points. I've never looked at it closely, but I do know something is seriously effed with the comeback mechanics.

But, everyone hates the wave respawn functionality in the first place so we wouldn't exactly be sad if they were simply removed.

WaterD103

11-12-2012

They are not broken Brackhart ANNOUNCED that change. I think im gonna go look for that post.

DiscworldDeath

11-13-2012

It's really simple to test in a custom game.

Let one team cap a pt a bit later, so they'll have less points to begin with, then let them get the lead, have everyone die, and compare the death timers. 5 mins tops, have a replay, voila.

At work, I might look into it when I get home, but I get home really late today. Get crackin' folks.