Question on Jungling

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chopinator

11-13-2012

OK, I understand the basics of jungling (thanks to all the guides).
When \ Where do you put your first wards?
Do you buy wards with 475 gold to start or do you wait?
How long do you wait till you head into enemies jungle?
Is there a level you should wait to gank and or counter jungle?
I realize that smite is a must have, should you also take ignite or do you want to stick with flash\teleport\ghost\or others?

Thanks.

lilAznRider

11-13-2012

You dont buy wards when you jungle

Fs Son0fSilas

11-13-2012

^ not true

however with a wriggles lantern you get a "free ward" and don't have to buy them as often.

Hellioning

11-13-2012

Most of those are dependant on which jungler you're using. Some have really early ganks, while others need to wait a bit. Rule of thumb, if you can see the enemy jungler (he's ganking, for example) now would be a good time to counter jungle.

Fs Son0fSilas

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopinator View Post
OK, I understand the basics of jungling (thanks to all the guides).
When \ Where do you put your first wards?
Do you buy wards with 475 gold to start or do you wait?
How long do you wait till you head into enemies jungle?
Is there a level you should wait to gank and or counter jungle?
I realize that smite is a must have, should you also take ignite or do you want to stick with flash\teleport\ghost\or others?

Thanks.
most people will say start cloth armor x5 hp pots, however some pros have been known to buy an early ward against an extremely aggressive team, or if they themselves want to do some aggressive counter-jungling.

As far as "when" do you counter jungle it's situational to the enemy team, your team, and their locations on the map. If for instance they have just ganked, and were forced to b. Or if they are ganking bot and you have a chance to take blue, or if they are dead. Don't forget, with proper wards, you can counter gank.

Generally you will see ganks at (jungler) level 2/4/6

Level 2 has them with a single buff and is usually within the first minute of the laning phase. Can be hard for them/you to recover from. Level 4 they should have both buffs and be ready to gank if they have any form of CC. Some junglers are not able to gank this early (one of the reasons why jungle WW is rarely seen now). Level 6, at this point they may or may not have given their blue to their mid. They will gank VERY HARD from now on, as long as their ult is off CD.

Chopinator

11-13-2012

So you rely on your team to ward for you ?

The fact that I want to practice jungling and am a Level 10 means that no one wards in PVP or Coop vs AI. Should I practice placing them myself or will that hurt my build order ?

Is it a good idea when running top mid or bot that I put up wards just to get in the habit?

Again I ask if I am t, m or b what time should I be putting them up? (2 min, 5, 8, 10 ? )

Chopinator

11-13-2012

So since most junglers follow the same 1-8 pattern early and most people dont ward early wouldnt counter jungling them while they take the red buff be a good time to try for an early kill as long as you know where the other 4 are?

Ladayen

11-13-2012

How often you buy wards depends on your playstyle. Dont buy them off the start.. well maybe 1. I tend to buy boots and wriggles lantern(they just changed this so I'm going to have to reevaluate). Once I have those 2 I will almost always have 5 wards. Use them and then go back to base for more. This makes me a very defensive player and allows my team to see incoming ganks. However this also means I'm not that useful in ganking either, and my early game is pretty much non existent.

I'm sitting at a 50/50 win/loss ratio right now and if I want to improve on that I know I'm going to have to get more aggressive though.

Ecclesian

11-13-2012

Though players with a different style will disagree with me, I don't counter jungle at all but try to gank as often as I can to keep the other team scared and unable to get minion kills.

Never buy a ward with your starting gold. Building into a lantern is a great idea as it helps you kill minions faster and can ward for your team. Warding for your teams also helps you to gank the gankers before they gank and I also like to ward then enemy jungle to steal their blue or red with my smite then run away as fast as I can to bait them or just to troll on them.

I always fun ghost because it allows you to pass through minions and has a lower cooldown than flash. Ghost is better for ganking I feel as it allow you to get more hits in. Flash is good for counter junglers as you can flash through walls.

In my opinion, ganking a lane has more impact on the game than counter jungling, as counter jungling forces their jungle to gank more for lack of creep farm. Furthermore, Helping your team get a kill will also potentially get you and another team mate an assists which means more money for all of you as well as potentially doing some heavy damage to the enemy turret. Also, after a successful gank, right as the lane phase is ending, you can all run to mid for potentially more kills, assists, and maybe even a turret kill.

Fs Son0fSilas

11-13-2012

^ junglers with strong CC can viably take Ghost. Junglers with strong CC and initiations don't need ghost OR flash and you will sometimes see them take Ignite+Smite instead (Noct, Leesin, Hec, and Jax all come to mind).

To better explain "ganking the gankers" having a ward at say dragon will give bot fair warning that a gank is coming. If that jungler has lower than average health he is weak to a counter gank. The same could be said of catching an enemy support attempting to ward further up river.

The problem with constant ganking is you can leave yourself open to counter jungling. Knowing which junglers have very strong counter jungling will help you keep them in check. Be mindful when you don't see the enemy ganking. He could be stealing one of your buffs.

As far as lane pressure goes, if you are ganking a lot, that can lead to the enemy begging for ganks. Which gives you an opportunity to get ahead. The enemy may not be prepaired to gank, which means you may have a chance to turn it around on them should they attempt one.

It all comes down to team comp. Bonus fact: teams like to blame junglers for losses