Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The Swain issue aside - The mechanics however

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Flow n Crash

10-06-2010

People please, this thread really isn't about Swain. I don't understand how people fail to see that.
This is about the policy Riot has about "easy and simple" and the arguement they used for changing the way Torment works. They roughly said Torment would be too hard to understand if it kept it's old mechanic but there are many other mechanics in this game that are as hard or even harder to grasp.

I'm trying to point out that unless you are adding mechanics using string theory you won't really scare people off because they need to think for more than half a second, rather make spells and abilities more fun and interesting. That's not going to happen if they keep up what they did to Torment.

Saffire

10-06-2010

The way I'm reading Zileas, the problem was not that Torment was hard to understand overall, it's that it was hard to understand in a way that could fit into a tooltip. If you went onto the forums and saw a couple examples of how it worked, you'd be like "Ok, I got this". But if you were just trying to understand on the first playthrough, you had to read an awkward tooltip and try to work through what its trying to say. When the designers who wrote the spell have trouble reading the tooltip, there's a problem.

In the end, even with the different mechanic, the power and gameplay of the spell is virtually identical to what it would have been. If you can take a complex mechanic and turn it into an equivalent but easier to describe mechanic...why wouldn't you?

Flow n Crash

10-06-2010

Quote:
Saffire:
The way I'm reading Zileas, the problem was not that Torment was hard to understand overall, it's that it was hard to understand in a way that could fit into a tooltip. If you went onto the forums and saw a couple examples of how it worked, you'd be like "Ok, I got this". But if you were just trying to understand on the first playthrough, you had to read an awkward tooltip and try to work through what its trying to say. When the designers who wrote the spell have trouble reading the tooltip, there's a problem.

In the end, even with the different mechanic, the power and gameplay of the spell is virtually identical to what it would have been. If you can take a complex mechanic and turn it into an equivalent but easier to describe mechanic...why wouldn't you?

Honestly though, I don't find it hard wording a proper tooltip which I more or less did in my first post.

And again, I'm not speaking solely about this single spell. I'm afraid they'll drop future good ideas like they're blazing hot just because they seem hard to grasp.

Talix of the 35

11-03-2010

needs a bump for truth!

Dzung

Recruiter

11-03-2010

if riot would just outsource the champion making process to china we could get champs for only 450 ip each!