Why is it acceptable to treat banned people like trash?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Princess Jutsy

Member

11-12-2012

If everyone held themselves up to the same standards they hold everyone else to, the world would probably be a better place.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

General Quackers

Senior Member

11-12-2012

Because this is the NA forum which means all the American players are here. Just look at how the US views their inmates and ex-cons; it's disgusting and that attitude of "you did wrong so I can treat you wrong" keeps getting passed down generation after generation. To Americans, prison isn't a system meant to rehabilitate criminals so that they can be a productive part of society. To Americans, prison is where you send people when you want to spit on them for the rest of their lives and treat them as sub-humans.

I hope this attitude will die out in the next 20 years as the evangelical conservative republican party literally dies off and can no longer shove their intolerance and prejudice down society's throat.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Super Explosion

Senior Member

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Duck View Post
I hope this attitude will die out in the next 20 years as the evangelical conservative republican party literally dies off and can no longer shove their intolerance and prejudice down society's throat.
If only you knew how intolerant the 'liberal' 'moral paladins' are of prisoners like rapists and child abusers.

Political party really isn't the place to look for improved reform methodology.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

General Quackers

Senior Member

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Explosion View Post
If only you knew how intolerant the 'liberal' 'moral paladins' are of prisoners like rapists and child abusers.

Political party really isn't the place to look for improved reform methodology.
I'm talking more about prisoners like drug dealers and drug users. Any crime where you attack somebody's humanity is another issue entirely; but petty crimes like dealing drugs or using drugs or robberies (armed or not) and even assault cases shouldn't mean a lifetime of shame.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Siky

Senior Member

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Duck View Post
I'm talking more about prisoners like drug dealers and drug users. Any crime where you attack somebody's humanity is another issue entirely; but petty crimes like dealing drugs or using drugs or robberies (armed or not) and even assault cases shouldn't mean a lifetime of shame.
What's the difference between attacking someone and enabling others to do so in an alternative fashion?

Are you not responsible any more once you sell the product and pretend that they made the choice so it no longer affects you? If the Drugs you sell can hurt the user or cause them to go into a state that can harm others, should you not be held responsible for their actions as well since you are their gateway? Holding someone at gun point while taking something that doesn't belong to you isn't shameful?

What kind of ludicris arguments are you trying to make? People make a choice regardless of their situation and if their choices impact the lives others negatively, they must assume all associated consequences. This isn't a difficult concept.

If you do something to someone that you don't want done to you, then it's wrong. Simple. If you do it anyways without thinking about it, should the consequences not involve shame? If you spit in my face, you're basically telling people you are fine with getting spat back. If not, you are wrong in doing what you do regardless of the circumstance.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Galersich

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Junior Member

11-12-2012

I think the title of this thread is somewhat misleading; because anyone that reflects on it rationally will quickly realize that it is not acceptable. Asking why it is acceptable when it should be somewhat obvious that it is not acceptable behavior seems to be a bit misleading.

Perhaps a better question to ask would be: how can we enact widespread change in our fellow players to prevent further mistreatment of banned players? When banned players come to the forums professing remorse and/or apologizing, I don't believe anyone expects this to somehow exonerate them for their past negative behavior. Yes, it sometimes is just a poorly-disguised attempt to rouse sympathy to overturn a ban.

But it is important to remember that banned players are still, if they so choose (and are able) members of this community. Rather than decry their past behavior we should provide them with tips and information on how to behave in a more positive fashion. I am not talking about just sticking to the summoner's code, either: we should encourage exemplary behavior.

Instead of standing by and complaining about the state of the community, why not do something to improve it? We can make this a better game for everyone involved if we make the effort.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wrosgar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-12-2012

I think it's fair that if someone does not treat others with courtesy and respect, it's fair not to give them the same luxury. I'm not talking retaliation, but I'm also not going to be nice to someone who is being a obvious jerk.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

General Quackers

Senior Member

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siky View Post
What's the difference between attacking someone and enabling others to do so in an alternative fashion?

Are you not responsible any more once you sell the product and pretend that they made the choice so it no longer affects you? If the Drugs you sell can hurt the user or cause them to go into a state that can harm others, should you not be held responsible for their actions as well since you are their gateway? Holding someone at gun point while taking something that doesn't belong to you isn't shameful?

What kind of ludicris arguments are you trying to make? People make a choice regardless of their situation and if their choices impact the lives others negatively, they must assume all associated consequences. This isn't a difficult concept.

If you do something to someone that you don't want done to you, then it's wrong. Simple. If you do it anyways without thinking about it, should the consequences not involve shame? If you spit in my face, you're basically telling people you are fine with getting spat back. If not, you are wrong in doing what you do regardless of the circumstance.
Drugs don't hurt users, the users hurt themselves. There are more substance abuse problems concerning alcohol and prescription pain killers than pot or cocaine. I'm not saying crimes should go without consequence. I'm saying the American prison system isn't constructive for prisoners. The point of a prison isn't to leave someone with label that will ultimately make the rest of their life more difficult; a label that prevents them from legitimate opportunities to the point where returning to crime is an only option. Prisons are supposed to rehabilitate criminals and turn them into contributing and productive members of society. The US has failed in this regard.

I don't see why individual discipline should be ignored for the sake of blaming the dealer. That's silly.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Super Explosion

Senior Member

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Duck View Post
I'm talking more about prisoners like drug dealers and drug users. Any crime where you attack somebody's humanity is another issue entirely; but petty crimes like dealing drugs or using drugs or robberies (armed or not) and even assault cases shouldn't mean a lifetime of shame.
That's a double-standard which would lead you personally to do the very thing you claim to find disgusting.

No one crime or inmate is more or less deserving of reform than another.

All inmates are appropriately separated from society to prevent damage to others, while granted a reform program targeted usually to help them understand why that behavior (whatever it may be) is harmful to themselves and others, and then how they can live in a mutually beneficial (or non-harmful) way with others.

To put it in perspective for you, a drug dealer willfully getting your kid (or anyone) near-permanently addicted to crack isn't something to be taken lightly.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dreggon

Senior Member

11-12-2012

If they don't post their reform card, and don't mention having not received it, they're probably hiding something.