Noob for choice of summoner skills?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bugog

01-17-2013

I've gotten called a noob because I choose to run with flash and ghost instead of flash and ignite. Legitimate complaint or people being elitist?

Normal champions for me are alistar, poppy, morgana, zilean, karma, and nami (I mix in a lot of others, but these are my most comfortable).

I like taking ghost because it seems like a much better late game summoner skill than ignite, with the ability to either chase down runners or escape team fights gone bad late in the game. Ignite seems more useful early, but kind of falls off late.

MorikTheMad

01-17-2013

It depends a lot on your champion & role.

If you are playing a champ in the support role, I think exhaust is much better than ghost. It gives you a lot more lane presence--your ADC getting ganked? exhaust someone and maybe he can get away.

Your jungler is ganking your lane? Exhausting someone can be the difference between them escaping and dying.

Your ADC has been taking some harass, and suddenly the enemy engages. Exhaust may help your adc get a kill or get away. It will also discourage the enemy from engaging on you until you are lower.

For playing morgana somewhere other than support, I'd take ignite over ghost--getting an early lead by using ignite to secure kills is very nice. You can snowball up.
Your support should have a Shurelya's by lategame anyway, to help disengage or catch a runner.
And, if you can get ignite onto a key target, they get much reduced lifesteal, spellvamp, and healing from the support. This can be very useful in team fights.

With Poppy, I'd actually take ghost/ignite or flash/ignite. Ghost is reasonable on poppy over flash because she wants to stick on a target, kill it, and then GTFO. I'd still keep ignite though--great for securing kills.

Bugog

01-17-2013

I guess that's a different way to looking at it, and I'll have to reconsider which skills I take. The issue I have with exhaust is that is has bad synergy with many of the characters I play because you have to be right on top of them to use it, so it really only fits well with alistar and poppy.

I guess I should probably start taking ignite again though.

Bad Mannered Bro

01-17-2013

I very rarely run Ghost with anything. Flash is always a must and my other spell varies. Generally I use Exhaust on support to snuff out enemy ADC or secure a gank as mentioned before. On AP champs, I generally take Ignite and have a a mastery point in it to improve it. I find it's much easier to secure kills with Ignite than other spells. Of course when I jungle, I take Smite.

I used to run Ghost with Ashe for extra mobility, but then I learned to kite and my Q was more than enough to ensure I didn't get caught. To be honest, I can't think of any champ I'd take Ghost on off the top of my head. I'm sure there are some I might consider, but I'm drawing a blank right now.

Aerostalgic

01-17-2013

Some of the champs you say you normally play are recommended to play with a ghost and a flash/exhaust.

Just be tolerant of idiots that say Flash and Ignite is the only summoner spells worth getting.

Anyway, i'd totally call you noob if you were to bring Revive + Teleport.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-17-2013

Flash and ghost are both movement spells, so taking both is rather pointless as that deprives you of a different type of spell.

Which one you pick is dependant on how it synergizes with your champion's kit. Someone like Udyr, who lacks a gap closer, or Morgana, who relies on positioning during her ultimate, will benefit from flashing in to gain an advantage while intiating. Neither of these champions can jump walls by themselves, either, so it also provides an escape mechanism.

Someone like Olaf or Master Yi, who's ults render them immune to disables, can make good use of ghost for initating or escaping. Tryndamere is another champion who benefits from it while ulting - he can escape farther and faster with ghost then with flash, and can already hop walls with his spin. Singed is another champion I like to use ghost with, since he tries to get people to chase him. He can also use it for intiating with his ult and his throw.

Grimm Dreogan

01-17-2013

People will always call you a newb if you don't religiously follow the meta to the "T". I have never been a fan of Ignite, I personally like Heal and Flash. People hate it when you Flash to your tower and Heal over Ignite. It has also helped me secure quite a few kills and survive with that little extra oomph it provides.

Clarity is also your friend if you play a mana intensive champion, or just suck st mana management like I do on some of my more aggressive champions. Exhaust is also a good choice for catching opponentsbored fleeing from them.

Two movement spells just leaves out a lot of utility and benefits one of the other spells could offer you. But if Flash and Ghost has worked well for you, who am I to tell you it's the wrong choice?

Directw

01-17-2013

The only champion I use flash + ghost is Ash. She has no escape skill so I think it is important for her to take these two spell with her.

I usually take flash +ignite (or exhaust if I play support or tank). Sometime I take ghost when I am the jungler. Ghost just makes ganks a lot of easier.

doomed2death

01-17-2013

The only champion I see on your list where that would be effective is Poppy tbh.

Alistar, Nami, and Zilean benefit from Exhaust as supports. Being able to chase or flee is not nearly as important as being able to slow and reduce damage for your carries.

Morganna would typically benefit from Ignite more...

Good Flash + Ghost champs are:
Singed (for massive mobility)
Teemo for teh lulz :P (No but really you can go with like no deaths)
Rammus
Mobile tanky champs (if Alistar were a solo champ...)

X4N4T05

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerostalgic View Post
Some of the champs you say you normally play are recommended to play with a ghost and a flash/exhaust.

Just be tolerant of idiots that say Flash and Ignite is the only summoner spells worth getting.

Anyway, i'd totally call you noob if you were to bring Revive + Teleport.
Revive teleport Shaco. The ultimate troll.