Guide to top lane countering?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rocket Black Man

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

Consider whether the champions that you have access to have any core mechanics/innate advantages over your lane opponent (i.e. more sustain, better/safer harass, easier farming, better scaling, etc.) and weigh that against your opponent's top lane choice. Also key to consider are what your jungler is (what would assist his ganks, what does he bring to the plate vs. yourself) and what the enemy jungler is (what kind of ganks can you expect, etc.). In addition, looking at the enemy team as a whole can allow you to choose a champion that may slightly disadvantage yourself in lane vs. your top opponent but counters two or more enemy players. What's most critical about top lane is being very map aware (don't rely purely on mia calls), expecting ganks from odd routes (through lane, flashes over walls, etc.), and to be very, very self-sufficient. If you're doing it right, you can tie up the enemy jungler and/or mid in your top lane, allowing the rest of your team to push/setup plays while you hold the fort. Essentially top lane is your own island and you are Sir Winston Churchill, here to repel the Nazi menace from Europe.

Tyhan

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce McHuge View Post
Counterpicking is overhyped.

Pick a champion that matches you and practice them exclusively, then outplay your counter picks.

A lot of people just pick champions that they think are counter picks to their lane opponents and think they'll free win. Guess what, you still have to have a lot of practice. Someone who knows their champion intimately can still outplay your counter pick.
Counterpicking in top lane isn't overhyped, it's actually a very big deal. Now the problem is that regardless of who counters who the person that understands the matchup better is able to dictate the flow and often put it into their advantage. If you practice and learn all the matchups you can pretty much always win through counterpicks.

Klaxius

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyhan View Post
Counterpicking in top lane isn't overhyped, it's actually a very big deal. Now the problem is that regardless of who counters who the person that understands the matchup better is able to dictate the flow and often put it into their advantage. If you practice and learn all the matchups you can pretty much always win through counterpicks.
This guy is right...mostly.

You need to understand basics before counter-picking becomes an advantage. In my elo bracket (I am bad btw) counter-picking is a minor advantage because nobody actually knows what they are doing. Above 1600, people will start capitalizing on the counterpick advantage.

For someone who is in a low elo, fundamentals are much more important than worrying about counterpicking. However, one should learn these fundamentals on 'safer' champions.
In higher elo, people should already have fundamentals, thus counterpicking gives a huge advantage.

The Murderinator

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLInferno View Post
I should say, Im not looking for "Jayce>Irelia" or something like that, I'm looking for more like "early game aggresion>Vlad"
It'll take some experience to know what to do against certain champion types. My hard and fast rule is, when I can afford to, do what they don't want me to. If they're playing passively and just trying to farm, do your best to get harass in. If they're playing aggressively, play passively - avoid damage and farm as well as you can. If they push the lane and leave, push it back and follow them, or push it and go back.

For example, I play a lot of ren top, and I usually play him really passive pre-6: a lot of the time, the enemy top will get too aggressive and try to dive me, which I can usually shrug off for a kill or at least an even trade.

If they're holding back, I dash in and do my combo and leave. I don't feel pressure to force a hard kill because forcing them to go back over and over if you have the advantage means the game in terms of cs and exp.

SoLInferno

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

toletole

11-12-2012

Ban teemo and you should be fine

SoLInferno

11-12-2012

One big problem I have. The other day I got put against a garen that was REALLY good. I was playing Jax and he clearly knew exactly how to take me down. Not only that, but he could easily solo tower dive me at level 3 and on and get a guaranteed kill every time because I had no idea what to do other than stun him and try to jump away. But he got me every time. What could I possibly do in that situation? My jungler never came up to help me and I was stuck at my tower for the entire laning phase and couldnt even farm under tower because he could take me down to half health with 1 Q-E combo and get out with almost no dmg from tower. I kept trying to build defense against him but nothing seemed to work. That's my biggest problem, I can usually stalemate my lane if I'm down early game, but in that situation i was just floundering because I had no idea how to stop him and my team wasn't helping until it was already too late.

Klaxius

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLInferno View Post
One big problem I have. The other day I got put against a garen that was REALLY good. I was playing Jax and he clearly knew exactly how to take me down. Not only that, but he could easily solo tower dive me at level 3 and on and get a guaranteed kill every time because I had no idea what to do other than stun him and try to jump away. But he got me every time. What could I possibly do in that situation? My jungler never came up to help me and I was stuck at my tower for the entire laning phase and couldnt even farm under tower because he could take me down to half health with 1 Q-E combo and get out with almost no dmg from tower. I kept trying to build defense against him but nothing seemed to work. That's my biggest problem, I can usually stalemate my lane if I'm down early game, but in that situation i was just floundering because I had no idea how to stop him and my team wasn't helping until it was already too late.
The three things you must know about fighting Garen go as follows:

1) You have to keep his passive down at all costs. This means that once every 7 seconds or so, you have to hit him.
2) Garen is really, really good against people that are forced to melee 100% of the time (i.e. Jax). This means if you have no way to hit him from range you are going to have a hard time. The best that you can hope for is farm what you can while minimizing damage taken. Garen naturally pushes very hard, so try and make most of your farming under the tower as Jax.
3) Garen scales VERY VERY VERY POORLY. Use this to your advantage. If you can stay competitive with Garen as Jax, you will absolutely pub-stomp him past mid-game. So farm, farm, farm and let your tower drop if necessary. Build some armor and farm, farm, farm.

Kades

Associate QA Analyst - Gameplay

11-12-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipttt View Post
Google Lolcounter.
It's actually just lolcounter.com.

It's a great site for researching what it sounds like you're trying to research.

SteveTheCrusader

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce McHuge View Post
Counterpicking is overhyped.

Pick a champion that matches you and practice them exclusively, then outplay your counter picks.

A lot of people just pick champions that they think are counter picks to their lane opponents and think they'll free win. Guess what, you still have to have a lot of practice. Someone who knows their champion intimately can still outplay your counter pick.
Unless you pick Vlad against Malphite l0l