Guide to top lane countering?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SoLInferno

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

I'm really trying to learn top lane counter picks, but just when I think I understand it, I miss one little bit of info that completely throws off my thought of who would win the lane.

So I'm looking for a guide or simple way to learn what champs to pick in what situation.

Tipttt

11-12-2012

Google Lolcounter.

CommunistNiglet

11-12-2012

teemo

Klaxius

11-12-2012

Before you learn to counter top, I suggest that you spend a lot of time trying to learn the lane dynamics with a very safe top laner (i.e. Irelia). Top lane is a very strange animal and mistakes are very costly.

C0unt3rparts

11-12-2012

I find Kennen to be good vs most melee top laners.

BRUCE McHUGE

11-12-2012

Counterpicking is overhyped.

Pick a champion that matches you and practice them exclusively, then outplay your counter picks.

A lot of people just pick champions that they think are counter picks to their lane opponents and think they'll free win. Guess what, you still have to have a lot of practice. Someone who knows their champion intimately can still outplay your counter pick.

ASalesman

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

Guides are good to shove you in the right direction, but you should really learn the lane for yourself so you can make your own decisions and become a better player.

SoLInferno

11-12-2012

I should say, Im not looking for "Jayce>Irelia" or something like that, I'm looking for more like "early game aggresion>Vlad"

I have expirience in top lane, it's just that some champs always give me trouble no matter how good I am with my champs. So I'm doing something wrong against those champs, but I can't seem to figure out what it is.

Vice Sensei

11-12-2012

Champion Select(dot)net for all your counter pick needs

Klaxius

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLInferno View Post
I should say, Im not looking for "Jayce>Irelia" or something like that, I'm looking for more like "early game aggresion>Vlad"

I have expirience in top lane, it's just that some champs always give me trouble no matter how good I am with my champs. So I'm doing something wrong against those champs, but I can't seem to figure out what it is.
I once again refer you to my original post in this thread. To learn these kind of things you need to pick 1 and only 1 "safe" champion and play a **** load of games on top. I did this with cho'gath playing like 100 straight games. Over the course of these games, you play against roughly 15 different enemy champions. What this teaches you is two-fold:

1) General top lane dynamics. When it is beneficial to freeze? How to freeze? How to push? When to push? When to go all in? When to play passive? How to defend against ganks? How to stay viable vs. jungler camping? When/How to roam? How to break a freeze? When/How to take towers? When to leave towers up?
2) Dynamics vs certain champions. Which champions does your champion beat straight up? Which champions do you have almost 0% chance of beating straight up? How do you create an advantage? How do you push an advantage? Who do you have to beat early? Who can you stall on and beat later? What summoner spells do you take on/vs. certain champions? How do you prevent certain champions from roaming?