Match making needs fixing

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Absurd Kale

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-11-2012

Please tell me I'm not the only person who wants this fixed. Because one high Elo level player with a bunch of noobs VS a bunch of well rounded team mates does NOT make this even. And frankly this is the ONE aspect of the game that completely turns me off. The whole point of match making is being teamed up with people both on your skill level and the enemy's team's skill level are all fairly even. Currently this isn't the case, When one team can have one insanely good guy with a bunch of level 1-10 players who have no idea what they're doing vs a bunch of level 30's (not even including if they're smurfs even) it completely ruins ruins the experience. When you have one team that has a decent knowledge of the game and good team comps vs ONE guy who knows team comps in blind pick his team mates who are all new go ridiculous team picks because they don't know any better. That doesn't teach these noobs anything other than this game is too hard and unforgivable. and just pisses off the high elo player. Lets stop basing it after TOTAL elo and go towards AVERAGE elo of players. You know. Like ACTUAL match making? please? so we have more balanced teams than this BS going on right now? I KNOW I'm not the only person who is thinking this. THe number one problem I hear is match making. "match making needs to be fixed," "match making is so broken." "math making is ridiculous." PLEASE before pumping out champions out of your ass fix what I would say is the most important issue in the game. Please?

LeppyR64

11-12-2012

I'm level 30. My friend just started playing and is level 1. We queue together. How do you suggest Riot make us a match? Assume that there are no other level 1/30 duos.

Absurd Kale

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2012

Average Elo. They don't match make you on level it's by Elo, even in normal, but it goes by total elo not average elo If they took the average elo between groups of players and evened it out it would have less of a skill gap than the current match making which uses total elo. Currently they would look at a team who's total elo is lets say 2000 and they are evenly dispersed by chance, so each player is 400 elo. Now the match making service would want to make it match as close to 2000 elo as possible so one guy with 1200 elo gets matched with 200 elo level people. Overall the average 400 elo team is going ot be more experienced and work as a team better than the one really good guy and a bunch of new players. A total elo does not mean even skill level. If they took the average elo of match making parties or something there would be less of a skill gap, and that would wouldn't really take into account levels so people with new players as friends wouldn't be affected quite as much. No match making system is perfect and there will always be skill gaps, but I think there is a MUCH better way to match OVERALL skill between individual players rather than the team as a whole. Considering the team is only as good as its parts honestly.

Mindllapse

11-12-2012

Team A:

1x Level 30
4x Level 1

Average = Level 6.8

Team B:

2x Level 6
3x Level 7

Average = level 6.6

so you're saying that these two teams are even because they are both the same average? Pro logic bro.

Even when you don't look at average level and instead look at average ELO, the result is the same. You can have 1 super pro with 4 complete noobs on one team, be the same average as 5 complete noobs on the other team.

Team A:

1x 2000 ELO
4x 1200 ELO

average ELO = 1360

Team B:

5x 1360 ELO

average ELO = 1360

Team A will always win because the one 2000 ELO player will absolutely stomp everybody. And there is little to no definitive difference between a 1200 player and a 1360 player.

You want MEDIAN not average. Matchmaking should first find a median ELO. Let's say that matchmaking chooses 1500 as a median based on everybody that is queueing up and who is available to be matched.

1500 will be the median ELO meaning that on both teams, the 3rd player will be 1500. The 1st and 2nd player will be above 1500, but as close to 1500 as possible. The 4th and 5th player will be below 1500, but as close to 1500 as possible.

Example:

Team A:

p1. 1603 ELO
p2. 1563 ELO
p3. 1504 ELO
p4. 1476 ELO
p5. 1411 ELO

Team B:

p1: 1613 ELO
p2: 1542 ELO
p3. 1498 ELO
p4. 1483 ELO
p5. 1469 ELO

Both teams have a median ELO of 1500, and the ELO's above and below the median are as close to the median as possible. This is an even match.

How will matchmaking create these even teams? First there should be ELO brackets (e.g. 0-500, 500-900, 900-1100, 1100-1300, 1300-1500, etc)

Let's say that currently there are 50 people queued up for the 1300-1500 bracket. The matchmaking system will search for the median ELO within this pool of 50 players. It will then use this median number to be set as the median for 5 different teams (the median being the 3rd player in each team), and then disperse the other players amongst them based on whether their ELO is above or below the median.

Absurd Kale

11-12-2012

That's more along the lines of what I was thinking actually. Elo brackets would make match making MUCH better. Considering most match making services use brackets.

Causing Panic

11-12-2012

match making has been screwing me over lately. No joke last 20+ games the other team had all 1800+ elo players with 1500+ wins and my team had around 1400 elo for my team and me who isnt ranked and under 200 games TOTAL -.-

The Mason Crosby

11-12-2012

Just to clear this up for the (mathematically challenged) OP, two teams that have the same or similar average ELOs will have the same or similar total ELOs as well. average = total/5

Absurd Kale

11-12-2012

What I was thinking was more along the lines of what Mindllapse said. Median ranges within brackets.

SoranoRange

11-12-2012

matchmaking so broken these days i always get stuck with noobs who suck really bad and always throws the game riot needs to fix this up and the only comeback these noobs have is to report you and they gang you leading to account being banned

???

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindllapse View Post
Team A:

1x Level 30
4x Level 1

Average = Level 6.8

Team B:

2x Level 6
3x Level 7

Average = level 6.6

so you're saying that these two teams are even because they are both the same average? Pro logic bro.

Even when you don't look at average level and instead look at average ELO, the result is the same. You can have 1 super pro with 4 complete noobs on one team, be the same average as 5 complete noobs on the other team.

Team A:

1x 2000 ELO
4x 1200 ELO

average ELO = 1360

Team B:

5x 1360 ELO

average ELO = 1360

Team A will always win because the one 2000 ELO player will absolutely stomp everybody. And there is little to no definitive difference between a 1200 player and a 1360 player.

You want MEDIAN not average. Matchmaking should first find a median ELO. Let's say that matchmaking chooses 1500 as a median based on everybody that is queueing up and who is available to be matched.

1500 will be the median ELO meaning that on both teams, the 3rd player will be 1500. The 1st and 2nd player will be above 1500, but as close to 1500 as possible. The 4th and 5th player will be below 1500, but as close to 1500 as possible.

Example:

Team A:

p1. 1603 ELO
p2. 1563 ELO
p3. 1504 ELO
p4. 1476 ELO
p5. 1411 ELO

Team B:

p1: 1613 ELO
p2: 1542 ELO
p3. 1498 ELO
p4. 1483 ELO
p5. 1469 ELO

Both teams have a median ELO of 1500, and the ELO's above and below the median are as close to the median as possible. This is an even match.

How will matchmaking create these even teams? First there should be ELO brackets (e.g. 0-500, 500-900, 900-1100, 1100-1300, 1300-1500, etc)

Let's say that currently there are 50 people queued up for the 1300-1500 bracket. The matchmaking system will search for the median ELO within this pool of 50 players. It will then use this median number to be set as the median for 5 different teams (the median being the 3rd player in each team), and then disperse the other players amongst them based on whether their ELO is above or below the median.
Woah, great idea.