[Solo Q Secrets #003] The Skills Of Strangers (Or... Not)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ryzeonline

11-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyxl View Post
2 days back, it was Saturday 1:00 GMT+1 ( I Play on the US servers, so likely somewhere around 16:00 for Americans). I should have quit playing, but I didn't.
Very good call, paying attention to your mood/environment

Quote:
but by joining my level 30 friend, I got into a match with mostly level 30's that have experience of over 500 matches. I also rarely play draft pick.
Yes, this is common and happened to me over and over, because all my friends are high ELO.

It was painful, but there was one upside. I learned how to play with high-level players very fast.

Quote:
I ended up picking Lulu as a bottom support. I like Lulu, I'm also very good with Lulu.
Good for you, this is highly recommended.

At the same time, you're right, its key to have other counterpicks and role-fillers available.

It sounds to me like you're very intelligent, definitely above your level, and have a great understanding of a lot of things.

I'm the same way

What I've learned for me though, is that intelligence, being above level, and understanding gameplay isn't enough.

Understanding how to work with League's *basically broken* match-making system is key.

So I've written about this in part 4:
Solo Q Secrets #004 - ELOs Like Money - Use It Wisely.

Quote:
(took 5 speed boots and ran around warding pretty much everything)
I do this when I have a bad ADC, since "wards win games" and vision for 4 of your teammates is amazing.

Fantastic.

Good for you

Your call on not warding baron or dragon late game, when you couldn't even make it there safely is one I would've made as well. In situations like those, try to ward those unsafely and you'll get caught out and feed. Period.

Quote:
but I was completely pulled into negative thinking by this particular player. I somehow couldn't even muster any willpower anymore to play my best.
I have my own personal policy of muting anyone who treats me with a negative attitude, because I do NOT see them transforming suddenly into a positive human being mid game, so I just cut off the negativity and focus on my game. Stop the bleeding fast

I've literally turned games around this way, especially when I can convince OTHERS on my team to mute the 'hater'.

Perhaps this will work for you?

Quote:
I didn't realize, up till this moment, even though people can be angry, even though people can get mad, that such demoralizing speeches can have such an effect on you in a game. I made mistakes, I won't contest it, but I've never seen myself play like that before. Thankfully my team seemed to agree on the toxic behavior, because they mostly asked to report the Kog'Maw, who obviously didn't get why, but my day/night was ruined. I slept horribly, I woke up horribly and I almost didn't dare entering a match.

I wonder, was I that stranger that the OP mentions?
Only you know if you were that stranger or not, all I can do is give my own personal tips and experimental ideas on how to handle them if they arrive in your experience

Anyway, I loooove playing ADC (maybe because I love support), and if you wanted to run a game with someone a little more... co-operative, I'd be happy to play a normal, or normal draft with you.

Thanks for writing, Oyxl!

vortical42

11-12-2012

^
OP makes some great points there. In the jungle, look for someone tanky with lots of built-in sustain. In 1v2 situations, try to find somone who likes to farm under the tower with lots of harass and sustain. Yorik (as mentioned), Nassus, and Cho'Gath all excell in that kind of situation. You may not be able to hold the tower forever, but if you can survive long enough you will eventually build up a significant gold and level advantage.

ryzeonline

11-12-2012

Thanks so much, Vortical, and what you've added are excellent examples of what I'm talking about.

Make ranked easier on yourself, learn lane-winners and champs who excel at certain roles. Invest your RP/IP and practice in them, and have an easier time of things.

Though... this may mean you don't play the "really cool champs"

Cheap0

11-17-2012

In my experience, being the team leader is often dependent on personally doing well. Try leading the team when you're losing, and you'll usually be ignored. Lead when you're doing really well, and your team will follow. As far as carrying games is concerned, I think being a team leader is an extension of personally doing well. You have to "prove yourself" before people listen to you and follow you.

Also, being the strongest player on your team doesn't necessarily mean that you're the highest in score. A support can easily become the team leader if they're making things happen and really communicating and doing a good job. This is the way that a support can carry.

Also, if you're generally raging and being mean, your ability to be a team leader is severely diminished. Losing your temper with your allies doesn't do any good in the long run, and a kind word can go a long way.

ryzeonline

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapo5020 View Post
In my experience, being the team leader is often dependent on personally doing well. Try leading the team when you're losing, and you'll usually be ignored. Lead when you're doing really well, and your team will follow. As far as carrying games is concerned, I think being a team leader is an extension of personally doing well. You have to "prove yourself" before people listen to you and follow you.
You make a fantastic point here, Cheapo. Well said on all counts. I totally and utterly agree.

In fact, I have a long post in my archives called "Power, Attention, And Respect On Your Team" which I may dig up and re-post.

To extend this:

What "leader must prove himself to 5 strangers in a short time" -- basically means is that as soon as you are doing well on your team, you have the *opportunity* to lead the other 4 and create a co operative, focused victory.

Sadly, most players who do well are too concerned with K/D/A, snowballing, and "FULL BUILD hue hue" to actually capitalize on their in-game leadership opportunity, and instead of uplifting the remaining 4 team members, they instead Make Fun Of Them for NOT being as good as themselves.

I'll add some food for thought:

The vast majority CEOs and managers are NOT good programmers, but they LEAD good programmers. Or they're not good marketers, but they LEAD good marketers.

That's because good, wise, leaders are here on earth to do what they're good at -- Inspire, guide, focus.

They're not here to have insane precision game play. They're not even here to prove themselves. They're talented at leading, and if people let them, they will. Just like a talented singer doesn't go around forcing his songs on people, but if people give him a chance... he'll turn it on.

Most pro teams have a coach/team manager, which I feel is a role sorely missing/underrated in league's open-to-the-public solo q "e-sports" training ground. When's the last time you saw "LF brilliant coach" in the Clan Forums?

Again -- this is just some food for thought, and my own personal opinion, but I'm really glad you brought it up, Cheapo. Thanks for making this thread even better.

Nhan Fiction

01-12-2013

Awesome advice.

ryzeonline

03-03-2013

Thank you sir