Just tried DotA2...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MikeRoch

11-16-2012

Personally, Ive always thought LoL was far more sluggish. Perhaps because Im used to clutch moments in Dota, which occur very often compared to LoL.

About the shop. It would be hard to make it as simple as LoL just because every single item is so unique. You will never see a serious build that contains two of the same items. (except for early gateway stuff)
Even so, I believe the shop is pretty organized. A section for tank items, support items, casters items, dps items, attack modifiers and so on.

Hoactzin

11-16-2012

I personally think it's interesting how certain characters are pretty amazing in certain situations. For example, Undying actually has better chances of winning a 1v3 than a 1v1.

Aircross

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoactzin View Post
I personally think it's interesting how certain characters are pretty amazing in certain situations. For example, Undying actually has better chances of winning a 1v3 than a 1v1.
DotA emphasizes counter picking and counter playing.

Tri-lanes are a viable lane composition if you want to repress a hero from farming while protecting your own carry from farming.

When it first came out, it was a little too powerful, so Undying became one of the better counters against it.

No need to gut a new strategy the players created, just create ways to counter it.

Captain Jack32

11-16-2012

So, how's that "shop is better in LoL" argument working out for you now?

http://riot-web-static.s3.amazonaws....em_Shop_EN.jpg

WandVsFace

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jack32 View Post

That ui is so ugly..

Pheonixblaze

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jack32 View Post

Just another thing they copied from Dota.
Next thing will probably be the ability to see what your allies have leveled up/how many points in them. Next thing will be a bottle or a quelling blade, or a stout shield...oh wait. I mean, next comes a better client? maybe?

Eleven13

11-16-2012

I gotta be honest, I'm preferring Dota 2 a lot over LoL. I put about 200 hours into it so far and it just has so much more depth and so many more options.

And it doesn't really matter what the shop looks like....theres a search bar at the top so you can just begin to type what you want and it'll come up. Looking through menus is just a waste of time.

aCrAzYmAnWAlking

11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonixblaze View Post
Just another thing they copied from Dota.
Next thing will probably be the ability to see what your allies have leveled up/how many points in them. Next thing will be a bottle or a quelling blade, or a stout shield...oh wait. I mean, next comes a better client? maybe?
Wow, you are actually right about 3/5 things you mentioned. They copied the new shop system (Search, list/grid view etc.), they made an item (Crystalis flask or sth like that) which has 3 charges and refills in fountain, when activated it restores 100 hp and 50 mana over 10 seconds (it takes longer to restore and it restores less hp/mana, but the idea is the same). The new doran's shield and 1 or 2 more items have damage block (it's flat block amount of damage though, not %). Of course LoL players believe that Riot took the best things of Dota and put them in LoL... They have the right to steal heroes since DotA was just a map, not a game, DOTA 2 did the same thing (although they have the same developer, DotA belongs to Blizzard, not Valve, so it's the same thing :/), but this shop UI thing is outrageous. The worst thing is that even though they surely took the idea from DOTA 2, Valve has no way to prove it, so Riot has got their asses covered...

BigMeatLover

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyltin View Post
Right and wrong:
- the system comes from WC3 and was forced onto Dota. There was no choice.
It doesn't balance the items and game better, but limits the item builds, what leads to easier balancing.
The system has its advantages, too.

You can't make any caster that is not meant to cast a carry.
Windrunner. She can't really be a carry, cause she uses int. Butterfly is useless on her and she needs to build mobility + high int. Her late game build also always needs one CC item (Guinsoo's normally).
There is no way you can experiment with the items and the her too much, cause nearly 50% of the items are bad for her.

AP carries in Dota? They don't exist.
Int means AA + support or tank + support late game. Some are also pure supports late game. They deal magical dmg early and can kill, but that doesn't mean they are carries in any way.
AP carries do exist, some spells scale with INT (Arcane Orb of Obsidian Destroyer an INT carry, Arcane Bolt from Skywrathmage INT carry/support and Glaives of Wisdom of Silencer INT carry/support)

and also INT semi carries are basically AP carries (Leshrac, Death Prophet, Storm Spirit, Necrolyte, Windrunner, Queen of Pain, Invoker etc)

BigMeatLover

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by aCrAzYmAnWAlking View Post
Wow, you are actually right about 3/5 things you mentioned. They copied the new shop system (Search, list/grid view etc.), they made an item (Crystalis flask or sth like that) which has 3 charges and refills in fountain, when activated it restores 100 hp and 50 mana over 10 seconds (it takes longer to restore and it restores less hp/mana, but the idea is the same). The new doran's shield and 1 or 2 more items have damage block (it's flat block amount of damage though, not %). Of course LoL players believe that Riot took the best things of Dota and put them in LoL... They have the right to steal heroes since DotA was just a map, not a game, DOTA 2 did the same thing (although they have the same developer, DotA belongs to Blizzard, not Valve, so it's the same thing :/), but this shop UI thing is outrageous. The worst thing is that even though they surely took the idea from DOTA 2, Valve has no way to prove it, so Riot has got their asses covered...
Weird

I find the Dota 2 Item Shop UI better after playing LoL first

I dunno its vastly different from LoL's since the itemization of Dota is alot different and also different shops

its easier to fast buy in Dota too and you can customize your own item builds