Just tried DotA2...

12345678 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Razbunare

11-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leodegrace View Post
There is a big thing i forgot to mention in my last post of why i don't play Dota as much though. I generally play magic-using heroes and therefore in league im used to them doing consistent damage throughout the game, whereas in Dota the spells do not scale aside from ultimates using Aghanim's Scepter, and therefore mages' damage goes kaput and they're stuck as a utility role unless they're someone like Lina, OD, or Lion, who are just designed with absurd damage in mind.

I don't like not having damage.

the big thing to remember is that all heros are auto attackers you're not ment to keep spamming abilities like in LoL that way spells have more of an impact and you have to be more careful using them early game by late game it shouldnt be a problem. Really in that respect LoL and DotA took a different turn when it came to hero/champ abilites.

Mindllapse

11-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razbunare View Post
the big thing to remember is that all heros are auto attackers you're not ment to keep spamming abilities like in LoL that way spells have more of an impact and you have to be more careful using them early game by late game it shouldnt be a problem. Really in that respect LoL and DotA took a different turn when it came to hero/champ abilites.
yes the whole stat system in Dota2 is what confuses many LoL players that first try out Dota

the idea that heroes are divided into Strength, Agility, and Intelligence

you have to get used to the idea that the items you buy for yourself give you your primary stat, and that no matter what role your hero is, that 1 str = +1 damage, 1 agi = +1 damage, 1 intelligence = +1 damage

I love this stat system because it kind of autobalances the different roles.

Strength gives health to everyone, but also damage for Str heroes
Agility gives attack speed and armor to everyone, but also damage for Agi heroes
Intelligence gives mana to everyone, but also damage for Int heroes

This naturally makes Str heroes into tanks, but also bruisers
Agi heroes into assassins, but also ADC's
Int heroes into supports, but also AP carries

Razbunare

11-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindllapse View Post
yes the whole stat system in Dota2 is what confuses many LoL players that first try out Dota

the idea that heroes are divided into Strength, Agility, and Intelligence

you have to get used to the idea that the items you buy for yourself give you your primary stat, and that no matter what role your hero is, that 1 str = +1 damage, 1 agi = +1 damage, 1 intelligence = +1 damage

I love this stat system because it kind of autobalances the different roles.

Strength gives health to everyone, but also damage for Str heroes
Agility gives attack speed and armor to everyone, but also damage for Agi heroes
Intelligence gives mana to everyone, but also damage for Int heroes

This naturally makes Str heroes into tanks, but also bruisers
Agi heroes into assassins, but also ADC's
Int heroes into supports, but also AP carries
yeah i always liked it and there are always items to counter heros agi heros that use a lot of attacks are countered with blademail personally i like both games they are the same game really but played slightly different.

Mindllapse

11-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razbunare View Post
yeah i always liked it and there are always items to counter heros agi heros that use a lot of attacks are countered with blademail personally i like both games they are the same game really but played slightly different.
I agree. They are both pretty complex in different ways. Dota2 will never have a champion like Lee Sin, and LoL will never have a champion like Meepo.

Dischu

11-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindllapse View Post
I agree. They are both pretty complex in different ways. Dota2 will never have a champion like Lee Sin, and LoL will never have a champion like Meepo.
I would have used Invoker in spot of Meepo, to each his own.

aCrAzYmAnWAlking

11-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakz NA View Post
I love Dota 2, but that sluggish feel is a bit too much for me. I actually like their shop. The game is absolutely awesome, except for dat sluggish engine.

Ugh. They need to fix that.
The sluggish feeling actually doesn't have to do with the engine being ****ty or something like that. They kept the turn rates from WCIII DotA and some AA animations are too ****ing slow, or some heroes would be super OP. But the tutorial they are setting up is going to have 4-5 rounds where you farm with different heroes, so you will get used to it. Also, some people say that due to AA animations and turn rates being slow, the game is slow as well. Sure, games last for 50-60 minutes most of the time, but the action is a lot faster than in LoL, where you have to farm 15 minutes and only junglers gank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDru View Post
It took me about 20 games to fully grasp how the shop menu worked... and the fact that there was three completely different shops was just confusing as hell. Didn't know where to go to buy what half the time.
Items who have a red square on their bottom right side, require the secret shop. The side lanes' shops, are there so you can buy some of the items you need during your laning phase, which can be also purchased from the fountain shop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanblod View Post
Their shop menu gives me a total headache, I don't understand why they have to make it so... Listy? I dunno, just makes it seem less organized.
You can always try out the recommended build for each hero, which is working most of the time. But I willl guide you The items are split in Basic items and Upgrades. Some people think that Basics are items you should purchase early game, but this is wrong.
Basics are items which can be bought instantly if you have the gold and they don't build out of other items. The only basic item that doesn't follow that rule is the Flying Courier, which requires to have an Animal courier, but it is placed in the Basics section because it requires the Animal Courier to be activated, not in your inventory and anyone can buy the Flying Courier, even if he wasn't the one who bought the Animal one. Basics are split into: Consumables, Attributes, Armanents and Arcane.

Consumables are pretty straight forward. Items in the Attributes section give you an attribute boost only (the three attributes are Strength, Agility and Intelligence).

Armanents give you stats like armor and damage.

Arcane are mostly Utility items whose effect doesn't stack, or simply stats we haven't mentioned yet. For example they give you Attack Speed, Movement Speed, Spell Resistance (Magic Resist but it doesn't stack) and some actives.

Upgrades are items which are built by 1-4 items and a recipe. Some of them are built from Basic items and a recipe, while others are built from other Upgraded Items and a recipe.

Items in the Support section aren't picked up by supports only, don't get fooled. The section is named like that because these items can support you and/or your team. This is the reason that supports also pick them, it is known that the team with the most auras win fights and, eventually, the game. But a lot of carries and initiators must buy them mid-game in order to help themselves (although those with AoE actives/auras also help their team).

Casters aren't items who are only useful to Intelligence heroes, although they are mostly bought by them, hence their name. For example, Necronomicon is great on Beastmaster, Refresher orb for double Ravage with Leviathan is super cool, Aghanim's Scepter offers upgrades to heroes with any basic Attribute.

Weapons are probably the most straight forward category. All of them give you offensive stats (all of them give you damage, while some of them also give you attack speed). All of them have an offensive or defensive passive or active (except Divine Rapier, which only drops on death, but that's to be expectet from an item that gives you 300 damage), which is named offensive or defensive based on how you use it (except Evasion which is clearly defensive).Some of the passives are Critical Strike chance, Critical Damage, Cleave damage.

Before moving on, I would like to clear something out.If you aren't interested on how critical strike works, then move on to the next paragraph since this is a wall of text!

Critical chance doesn't stack like LoL's. In LoL, if you stack PD's you can crit 100% of the time. In Dota, if you have a Crystalys and a Deadalus (2 or more Crystalys/Deadalus wouldn't stack at all), you don't have a 45% chance to crit. You have a 25% chance on each attack to crit for 270% damage, since Deadalus' chance is higher than Crystalys, and if it fails, you have a 20% chance to crit for 175% damage. You also have a 5% chance to trigger both crits (since 25-20=5), where the latest acquired (bought) item's crit will trigger. Let's do the maths to explain how it works. If you have 100% accuracy (it's actually based on luck), then for every 100 attacks you wouldn't crit 45 times. You would crit 25 times for 270% crit damage. IF you didn't crit, let's say, at all, you would have critted 20 times for 170% crit damage (once again, if you have 100% accuracy, since it is based on luck and you could have crit 0 times although you have both items). Above both of the previous chances is that 5% percent chance to trigger the latest acquired item's crit. So, in the first example (again with 100% accuracy) you would crit 25 times for 270% dmg if you attacked someone 100 times, plus 5 times for either 270% or 175% dmg based on which item you bought first (which is a total of 30 crits), while if you failed to crit with Deadalus and Crystalys worked, you would crit 20 times for 175% dmg, plus 5 times for either 175% or 270%, which is a total of 25 crits.

Items in the armor category don't only give you armor. They can give you armor, health, strength (which increases your hitpoints and hp regeneration), magic resistance, or multiple attributes, with strength being one of them.

Finally artifacts, have got UAM's (Unique Attack Modifiers) which don't stack. The only item without an UAM is "Sange and Yasha", but it gives an MS percentage, not flat MS, which doesn't stack (flat MS also doesn't stack, but everyone knows that).

A Super Saiyan 3

11-11-2012

The engine isn't sluggish, You're just experiencing turn speeds.

I forget if its bat-rider or someone else but they can apply like 80% turn speed reduction meaning you can literally walk circles around an enemy xD

aCrAzYmAnWAlking

11-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnimaetus View Post
The engine isn't sluggish, You're just experiencing turn speeds.

I forget if its bat-rider or someone else but they can apply like 80% turn speed reduction meaning you can literally walk circles around an enemy xD
Yeah, Batrider's sticky napalm applies a turn speed reduction.

If someone needs tips about dota 2, just tell me here, or add me in Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/zeusthunderbolt and AMA in chat (note that if you want to play with me, I'm not the best player around, but I'm also not bad and I can definitely teach someone how to play. Plus I don't rage

Jaykoboy

11-11-2012

I like DotA, but only on WTF mode.

Because Skeleton King wasn't OP enough already.

(Also, the shop isn't as bad as you'd think, because theirs has a search feature. It only works if you know the name of the item you're looking for, but if you do, it's just like *type type type buy*.)

KittenBurglar

11-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykoboy View Post
I like DotA, but only on WTF mode.

Because Skeleton King wasn't OP enough already.
But Skeleton King is a very mediocre hero.

12345678 ... 9