League of Legends - the Canadian Scene

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TofuSnapDragon

12-08-2012

more people have viewed this thread than live in canada

MaskedCrusader10

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TofuSnapDragon View Post
more people have viewed this thread than live in canada
Wow, i did not know 34.500.000 people watched this thread, I don't know what to say, it's such an honor being seen by more people than my entire country...! Feels amazing!

Or not.

pro4never

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-08-2012

There have been a few canadian teams at the top levels but I'm a bit confused what your complaint is?

There's sadly no really large games expo in Canada that spring to mind (plenty of scifi and anime but nothing really meaningful for gaming) so there's nothing for riot to latch onto if you're talking about a good sized event and there's nothing stoping canadian teams from qualifying.

Online play qualifies teams to compete at circuit events and if they don't have the time or resources to compete in those then they are not a serious team, simple as that.

It's quite impossible for an active, full time student to compete at high end professional gaming level as it involves constant training and traveling. A few events in canada won't change that.

PS: There's already quite a few small tournaments in canada, just no large broadcast/riot sponsored one... because there's no infrastructure for it.

MaskedCrusader10

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro4never View Post
There have been a few canadian teams at the top levels but I'm a bit confused what your complaint is?

There's sadly no really large games expo in Canada that spring to mind (plenty of scifi and anime but nothing really meaningful for gaming) so there's nothing for riot to latch onto if you're talking about a good sized event and there's nothing stoping canadian teams from qualifying.

Online play qualifies teams to compete at circuit events and if they don't have the time or resources to compete in those then they are not a serious team, simple as that.

It's quite impossible for an active, full time student to compete at high end professional gaming level as it involves constant training and traveling. A few events in canada won't change that.

PS: There's already quite a few small tournaments in canada, just no large broadcast/riot sponsored one... because there's no infrastructure for it.

That is a problem I did notice, the fact that there are no real giant event to latch on to, although we do have lots of little exposition (a good example would be ComicCon) that are quite popular. The fact that "there's no infrastructure for it" is just not true, we got good internet connection and giant exposition areas that can be used for such purpose without having too much trouble. The real big problem behind everything is the fact that people who would really really want to make something happen just either don't have the money to organise a major event or just don't have the knowledge of how to do it, or in my case both.

What I saw as a problem with the scene was mostly the fact that there isn't any tournament NOR event that is made FOR Canadians, either IN Canada or FOR Canada. Yes, we have the possibility to enter contest (such as song of the summoned), just not if you reside in Quebec, and yes we can enter tournaments, but nothing is Canadian based nor "geared" towards us, which I believe is a shame.

And yes, Canadian players always have the possibility of just joining an American Team (like TheOddOne/Chaox did with TSM) to compete on American soil, but the fact that there isn't any Canadian BASED tournament is what makes me and other feel left out from the Scene.

I don't want Riot to turn away from everything they are doing to satisfy our needs, I just want the recognition that we have potential to become a great Scene and that they know we want to get involved. A simple Riot post on the matter would satisfy me greatly.

SculptorOvFlesh

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-10-2012

Come on RIOT! I'll give you homemade poutine!

Benny Boy

12-10-2012

Yeah I'd appreciate some Toronto events.. I don't want to have to drive 4 hours and take an airplane to California just to see my favourite teams.

MaskedCrusader10

12-11-2012

Quote:
Come on RIOT! I'll give you homemade poutine!
It made me laugh so hard, yet i'd be glad to bring the fries :3

Quote:
Yeah I'd appreciate some Toronto events.. I don't want to have to drive 4 hours and take an airplane to California just to see my favourite teams.
I feel you my friend, I am a Toronto event or an Ottawa event would be perfect for every Canadian in the East Coast and an event in like Calgary/Vancouver would be perfect for the West Coast, which are the most populated places.

Even though I live in Quebec, I would rather drive to Ottawa than to pay more than a year's worth of work to go to California x_x

Nomissire

12-11-2012

Still no reds on this one? I'm sad for you, comrade

MaskedCrusader10

12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomissire View Post
Still no reds on this one? I'm sad for you, comrade
I won't give up, even if it takes me the whole holiday season to get a response.

Nomissire

12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedCrusader10 View Post
I won't give up, even if it takes me the whole holiday season to get a response.
Keep it up, man!