What is elo?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IsshuukanFriends

11-10-2012

I dont know what elo is and would like to find out, by this I mean what does it stand for.
I also would like to know if elo is affected more by losses than by wins or the other way around.
For example if I am in a super losing slump and I lose a lot of ranked games can I still bring my elo back up? I dont want to be stuck in what people call "elo hell".
Lol and Thanks

Rav Abaddon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-10-2012

Elo is a rating system used by League of Legends to determine your skill level.

Before the game begins it predicts which team is going to win; the team it predicted to win will gain less Elo but lose more (Not a lot, though, less than five I believe) and vice versa. But most of the time the Elo you would lose/gain is the same unless one team is duoing with someone clearly out of their skill bracket (900 duoing with 2100 will gain 50% Elo and lose 200% Elo, respectively).

If you want to look it up, Elo is the rating system used by chess tournaments.

Nidilen

11-10-2012

Just to add to ScorchXBanister

The Elo Rating system was named that way because of a person named Arpad Elo. When you start playing ranked games your going to start at a 1200 elo rating. Your elo rises and falls due to the amount of games you win or lose.

Lets say your first ranked game, you win. This will lead to an increase in elo. The first few games you play will have larger changes in Elo because of the formula that is implemented.

The formula can be found here and it also can answer some of your questions
Link: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Elo_rating_system

Also Scorch said it well when it determines your skill level. Though there defiantly will be games that you lose because of your teamates, if you are a really good player, you should be able to get out of "Elo Hell".

Also yes, it is possible to get out of elo hell XD

Happy Summoning!

~Nidilen

IsshuukanFriends

11-10-2012

Thanks all

k13p70ki113r

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-28-2013

Is there a updated ranking system by chance?

Matthias9119

11-28-2013

Yes, they have a new system called MMR (MatchMaking Rating). However, currently the values are hidden, so you can't see your exact numerical rating. If you play in Ranked, each division contains players around the same MMR range.

Eliminer

06-17-2014

Yeah I hear that everywhere and I was curious what it was. Thanks for telling me what "ELO Hell" means! (:

IamTitan21

06-17-2014

Elo is how the ranking system works in ranked. If you win games you elo goes up and so on. This is not to be confused with MMR (matchmaking rank) which is the ranking system in normal games.

Cat Eyed Liar

06-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamTitan21 View Post
Elo is how the ranking system works in ranked. If you win games you elo goes up and so on. This is not to be confused with MMR (matchmaking rank) which is the ranking system in normal games.
Actually, all games use hidden MMR. ELO hasn't been used (0 - 2400 scale) since Ranked switched over to the League system. ELO has just stuck around as a synonym for MMR, much like how ADC is still used to refer to the more specific role of "marksman" (vs. ADCs who aren't necessarily ranged). ELO hell as a phrase stuck around for the same reason, though you have to admit, "MMR hell" doesn't have as nice a ring to it.

AG Infected

08-06-2014

so then why dont they just say rank instead of a dumb word like elo?