New player - too much grind

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

H3XD

11-09-2012

There is way too much grind in this game for a new player. I want to play with friends to learn the game but I am forced into games with all 30s and constantly harassed.

Why are new players put at such a disadvantage with champs/runes/mastery when there is already such a steep learning curve

OhBoyItsaMegaman

11-09-2012

Do you feel that shortening the number of games it takes to get to level 30 would improve your play experience? All it would mean is that a lot more people make it to level 30 without having a lot of experience and without having a lot of rune pages or unlocked champs.

The stat advantage of being level 30 is not as great as you think. If people are easily beating you and you think it's mainly because they have runes and masteries that you don't, you are probably wrong. (Except Flash. It is pretty ridiculous that you don't get Flash for so long, and it does give higher level players a substantial advantage. Other than that, not so much.)

TwistWrist

11-09-2012

The rune and mastery difference is barely any actual advantage.

You are losing because you lack experience and knowledge. Not levels.

Nidilen

11-09-2012

Hey VOoDOoQ

Quite frankly, this game is set up like this to give players that are not new a time to get better at the game. Fortunately for you, you have friends that are willing to help teach you how to play the game. But the problem being is that when you go to their games, your playing people with an advantage.

Now, there is really not a solution for that, but the purpose of this set up is so you play with people your level. Yes it requires grinding, but with it you learn new techniques and better ways to play champions. The one risk you got to make if you play with your friends is that you wont have the same advantage as the other team (though there is a balance mechanic within the game).

One suggestion is just to get through those games, and play with them when you feel like you are at the same level as far as Masteries and Runes go.

But also remember that its not all about the runes and masteries!

Happy Summoning!

~Nidilen

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

11-09-2012

Runes and masteries don't actually make as big of a deal as you think. Yes they're noticeable early game, but that's most of it. The biggest hurdle imo is not having Flash until 12.

Reducing the time to get to 30 would make it more likely that you faced more experienced players, that's about it. You're losing 90% (number out of thin air, but it's really really high up there) as a result of player skill, not runes and masteries.

Don't take this as an insult or strike against you; nobody started out as a 'pro.' Look at it and realize how much there is to learn and experience with the game instead.

mambawarrior0

11-09-2012

O.o what's with his match history?
I look you up to see if you really are getting matched with lvl 30's, because that seemed weird for a new player, and only 2 games show up, both 11 month old dominion matches, yet he's lvl 16.

IS134793e5f3c35e84c7d25

11-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambawarrior0 View Post
O.o what's with his match history?
I look you up to see if you really are getting matched with lvl 30's, because that seemed weird for a new player, and only 2 games show up, both 11 month old dominion matches, yet he's lvl 16.
You just slapped the original poster in the face and called him a lier, and he is a victim of harassment already, he said. This surely would not give him any faith in this community if you mamba warrior act like this. Secondly his match history and what he says on the forums are not to be intertwined, for there is far too many factors involved. He could of just known friends who put the idea of him facing 30's in his head, so he came to ask but worded it wrong.

FaceRoll13

11-10-2012

Don't Runes and Masteries give you and advantage to get First-blood?

Don't small advantages in the beginning of the game allow you to build bigger and bigger ones throughout?

If they weren't a distinct advantage, high level players wouldn't have pages and pages of different Runes/Masteries for different characters, would they?

IS134793e5f3c35e84c7d25

11-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceRoll13 View Post
Don't Runes and Masteries give you and advantage to get First-blood?

Don't small advantages in the beginning of the game allow you to build bigger and bigger ones throughout?

If they weren't a distinct advantage, high level players wouldn't have pages and pages of different Runes/Masteries for different characters, would they?
You are correct. Don't let people down play it. I had one guy berate me for using mana regen seals rather than armor seals on varus, he trolled whole game and asked if I was wearng runes. I told him, and he called me noob all game, and said I would lose many games in the future and past, just cause my runes were not his expectations.

One slight advantage early usually leads to massive snow balling later. Rune could indeed be enough to be that thing that gets you the slight edge early. as you escape with 10 hp after getting first blood. Now you are higher leveled and have more gold, and are likely to be getting more kills.

Fs Son0fSilas

11-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damein Sandow View Post
You just slapped the original poster in the face and called him a lier, and he is a victim of harassment already, he said. This surely would not give him any faith in this community if you mamba warrior act like this. Secondly his match history and what he says on the forums are not to be intertwined, for there is far too many factors involved. He could of just known friends who put the idea of him facing 30's in his head, so he came to ask but worded it wrong.
It was more of a statement then an accusation <,<

OP, as far as my 2 cents goes, It does in fact come down to skill. Runes give the advantage to unskilled players, while a stronger player focuses more on lane advantage and not 10 more AP or 15 more armor.

You shouldn't use runes and masteries as a crutch, you use them as the wet stone you sharpen your blade with. Even a master swordsman can kill more men with a dull blade, then a novice with a sharp one.