Discussion on Garen!!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Summoning Izzy

11-09-2012

Hi i'm not a high level or anything, in fact i'm fairly new to LoL.

I want to discuss Garen and what others think of him. I'm very curious to see what people's perspectives are on the topic and hopefully be able to help me decide if i should continue playing as Garen or "update" to Darius.

My main concern is i feel i am building Garen well and perhaps my build can influence people's opinions to agree with me. As it is i am currently level 16, have an AD rune page for Garen (tier 2, incomplete), and have my masteries focused mostly on the offense role.

My build mostly consists of:

1-Boots of swiftness
2-Warmogs
3-Force of Nature
4-Thornmail
5-Sunfire Cape
6-(never really get to this point, but i would want to go for infinity edge)

I have been pitted against Darius and sorry to say but no Darius has quite overcome me just yet, just waiting for that moment so i can finally say, "i guess i'm getting Darius now."

please if you can try out this form of Garen because past perspectives are a bit outdated and i have not seen anything on 2012 Garen so i've come on here to see what i can get. Thanks guys and Gals for your responses!!!

mambawarrior0

11-09-2012

Garen and Darius are far different.
The only things really similar to them are that their ults are executes, and they have spins (although they are way different, one being instant and the other doing insane damage, but over a period of time.) and next-attack moves.
Neither is really "better" or worse. If you play well as Garen, there is no real reason to switch to a champion you don't like.

Comments on your build:
Boots of swiftness are generally a bad choice. They are quite expensive boots, and the wording is convoluted. It sounds like you get 3x the speed as normal boots, but how it really works is this:
Speed increase=Enhanced movement*20 units+30.
This means that boots 1 give 50, boots 2 give 70, and boots 3 give 90. When you consider that champions have AT LEAST 300 speed without boots, this is not much of an increase.
Also, there is a soft cap on movement speed, which reduces it's effectiveness after a point, and since Garen is naturally fairly fast, he will hit it whenever he Q's anyway.
Finally, your build should be situational, rather than the same every time. Thornmail is worthless if their AD carry is 0/6, FoN is awful if they are almost purely physical damage, etc.

Summoning Izzy

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambawarrior0 View Post
Garen and Darius are far different.
The only things really similar to them are that their ults are executes, and they have spins (although they are way different, one being instant and the other doing insane damage, but over a period of time.) and next-attack moves.
Neither is really "better" or worse. If you play well as Garen, there is no real reason to switch to a champion you don't like.

Comments on your build:
Boots of swiftness are generally a bad choice. They are quite expensive boots, and the wording is convoluted. It sounds like you get 3x the speed as normal boots, but how it really works is this:
Speed increase=Enhanced movement*20 units+30.
This means that boots 1 give 50, boots 2 give 70, and boots 3 give 90. When you consider that champions have AT LEAST 300 speed without boots, this is not much of an increase.
Also, there is a soft cap on movement speed, which reduces it's effectiveness after a point, and since Garen is naturally fairly fast, he will hit it whenever he Q's anyway.
Finally, your build should be situational, rather than the same every time. Thornmail is worthless if their AD carry is 0/6, FoN is awful if they are almost purely physical damage, etc.
Thanks, that's all i wanted to hear. That Darius is not an upgraded Garen.

TwistWrist

11-09-2012

Personally, I think Garen should get early damage. Can build tanky later on. Maybe a few Doran's to a Brutalizer or even an Infinity Edge if you are completely crushing your lane.

Summoning Izzy

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistWrist View Post
Personally, I think Garen should get early damage. Can build tanky later on. Maybe a few Doran's to a Brutalizer or even an Infinity Edge if you are completely crushing your lane.
yea i think i should start off with the AD instead of the tanky side to him early on, thanks for your opinion! i'm hoping i can learn how to build Garen well, under any circumstances.

bootbill

11-09-2012

i usually get this when i play Garen
1. Boots of speed
2. Sunfire cape
3. Frozen Mallet
4. Warmmogs
5. Atmas
6. Guardian Angel

obviously i throw in armors like thornmail, or force of nature. depending on other team.
but i mainly use garen if everyone else insta-locked and we are minus a tank and im forced 2 lol

TwistWrist

11-09-2012

That's a bad build.

You might be able to last hit someone with your ultimate but you won't actually bring much to your team really.

Building Garen that tanky isn't good at all since he isn't a tank. His kit isn't useful if you built too much defense.

Hidden Dragon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2012

It looks like you are building Garen far too tanky and with too little damage to be of any use in late-game. Garen is not a true tank. He is tanky-dps. If you don't have damage you will simply be ignored in fights until your opponents kill off the rest of your team then they'll finish you off.

You need to strike a careful balance with Garen in building damage and building tanky. My recommended build is this:

1) Boots
2) Brutalizer
3) Upgrade to Mercury's Threads (no exceptions, CC shuts Garen down hard)
4) HoG / Avarice Blade
5) BF Sword
6) Warden's Mail
7) Finish Infinity Edge
8) Finish Randuin's Omen
9) Finish Ghostblade
10) Maw of Malmortius and Last Whisper

Don't waste gold on Warmogg's or Thornmail. You will have plenty of health from Randuin's Omen. Thornmail is completely outclassed by Randuin's which will help both you and your team.

Ghostblade gives you effectively 2 gap closers with your Q.

Infinity Edge is your primary damage source. Your E can crit, so this makes it a powerful AoE.

Get Maw of Malmortius or Last Whisper in either order depending on if they are stacking armor or have lots of AP damage.

Soraka Goes Mid

11-10-2012

What I usually get is something like this:

Boots
Avarice Blade
1) Mercury Treads
BF Sword
2) Warmog's Armor (despite what others have said, this works well because Garen can farm minions really easily)
3) Infinity Edge (this item is SO POWERFUL with Garen's Judgment)
4) Atma's Impaler / Maw of Malmortius (depending on whether they're more heavily AD or AP based)
5) Youmuu's Ghostblade
6) Last Whisper

Of course this is also highly dependent on the enemy team. For example, if they're building no armor at all, replace the Last Whisper with some sort of resistance item. If they're really shutting you down, you can get that resistance item earlier in the game. If you just want to be extra annoying in team fights, you can get a Sunfire Cape. And so on.

If you're completely destroying the enemy team, you can even get Infinity Edge before Warmog's.

Also, I can see the new Black Cleaver in season 3 being extremely good on Garen.

IS134793e5f3c35e84c7d25

11-10-2012

he can be built tanky as you build him. he benefits from force of nature and sunfire cape. sunfire ads to his aoe farming which is nice. But on the tanky garen build you will need frozen mallet to stick to people, in which case now you are just a sejuani. But still alot more useful to your team than getting warmogs.

The ad ratios on his spin are great, and playing him glass cannon ad is fun too, but probably not as viable. since you would get bursted down easy. You'd farm alot better which is always nice.

you don't need attack speed on garen, most his damage in his abilities. just ad, hp and tankiness. maybe some items to help you stick to people like frozen mallet.

The choice of exactly how much ad you want or how tanky is a matter of your play style preference.