Item Preview Dust Sweeping

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crowcide

11-09-2012

for that matter why have atma's, guinsoo, snow ball items, malady, manamune, nashors, odyn's, soul shroud, or thorn mail. All of these items are newb traps except in niche rare circumstances...

Morello

Lead Designer

11-09-2012
14 of 56 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Housekeepin View Post
I don't understand the point in removing Ionic Spark. If someone wants to spend their gold on it, why not? The only justification from the devs is its worthless. Who cares? Let people play how they want to. It allowed for interesting builds, ie. Wits End + Ionic Spark on Irelia.
Because it's what we refer to as a "noob trap" - an item that seems powerful and looks attractive, but actually gimps your build in almost any situation.

Under your justification, we should just release 100 new items with a random smattering of stats. Meanwhile, someone who hasn't done the math is buying these items and doesn't understand why he can't get the job done.

Zerglinator

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
We should be happy for this. MBR was a trap item - it is never, in any circumstances, the buy, as any character or against any opponent. If you were building this item, you've been weaker each game as a result. Same with Ionic spark (except maybe for Shen or Kayle).
Quote:
Because it's what we refer to as a "noob trap" - an item that seems powerful and looks attractive, but actually gimps your build in almost any situation.

Under your justification, we should just release 100 new items with a random smattering of stats. Meanwhile, someone who hasn't done the math is buying these items and doesn't understand why he can't get the job done.
What about Riot's own LiQuiD StRiPeS with his patented Tricurve Vayne? Ionic Spark was CORE to that! As well as Madred's!

Why not remove Recurve Bow and have Wit's End build from 2 Daggers?

IS11d6327cb35cafc124891

11-09-2012

Quote:

why not buffing instead of removing ?

is the new statikk on hit item gonna be the old madred but better?

Crowcide

11-09-2012

Quote:
I'd like to see that math that show's ionic isn't gold efficient on: shen, kayle, w,w irelia, mundo, voli - to a lesser degree skarner and on hit teemo.

Granted this is a small population. But it is extremely efficient on these champs. The problem is witt's is even more efficient. But lately there has a been a rise of witts+ionic vs witts+TF on these champs.

IS19adfb83ca3237f8f8fa6

11-09-2012

So Wickd is a noob.

FlySkyHigh777

11-09-2012

Quote:

I'm a little sad that I've been effectively called a noob for enjoying Ionic Spark as an item. I built it all the time on Volibear and I enjoyed to great degrees how effective it (apparently not really) was. I still think it's a cool item idea and I hope Statikk Shiv has a similar niche fit so I can double lightning smack people with Voli

Fox P McCloud

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2012

Quote:
We should be happy for this. MBR was a trap item - it is never, in any circumstances, the buy, as any character or against any opponent. If you were building this item, you've been weaker each game as a result. Same with Ionic spark (except maybe for Shen or Kayle).
How is Blade of the Ruined King any different? The only ranged damage dealers who will get it are ADCs---as I covered in an early post, though, it would only be a viable alternative to BT if it was a constant 4% of current health--since it has diminishing returns, the damage and sustain is considerably lower than going straight BT---this doesn't even factor in AD scaling abilities.

For ranged that aren't ADCs, you have Jayce (who benefits more from BT due to his marvelous AD scaling and need for sustainability), Urgot (would benefit more from BT,but usually doesn't build in this direction anyway), and Teemo....it really only makes since on him, like MBR, once again.

If it was max health instead of current, then it would make sense, since it would give a bit less sustain and DPS than BT, but make up for it with the active---but it's not, sadly =(

Cameryn Kyre

11-09-2012

Quote:
You couldn't be more wrong.

Shaco with Ionic Spark and Wits End was amazing. The on-hit items still scale with attack speed, and thus synergize nicely. Further, the amplification from Shaco's Backstab and the fact that his clone will also benefit from the procs made this item very good. It allowed his split pushing and jungle invading so much better. Wriggles, Zerkers, Ionic Spark was so good for bringing burst to a gank (charging the ionic on a jungle camp) and also having the health to allow you to commit to any gank target, be they a burst mage or Irelia and get the kill (with your lane helping of course).

You couldn't rush it before Wriggles, and if you didn't do well you couldn't get it early (but hey, if Shaco didn't do well early he's pretty much lost or become a split push bot and wants spark anyway if not switching to support/tank items like Randuins). So it was not OP on him and still left Shaco with choices to make.

It was a really fun build and extremely effective. And MBR also was a great 3rd item if you were snowballing, or 6th regardless.

Granted, MBR is extremely niche and mostly useless. I'm okay with you taking MBR out...

But Ionic Spark is amazing, and by hitting box tanking and removing this item you're actually hurting Shaco a lot...

And this isn't just my opinion, every pro shaco I learned from either swore by Ionic Spark or aknowledged it's worth and bought it in certain match ups.

Please put it back in, now.

Also, semi global CV active on Soul Shroud or new support item if you're not already planning to do this. CV for the lane phase is too weak unless passive farm lanes come back (which is against your philosophy) and only (more) useful late game when vision control becomes a full out war in which the team with the slightest of leads tends to win most games... We NEED CV but cannot afford going to bot lane without Exhaust unless the ADC is going Heal/Cleanse/Barrier... which is only going to make you extremely passive and focus on barrier/heal baits and counter engage just so you could bring CV along for late game.

NoGoodInGoodbye

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostradamusss View Post
why not buffing instead of removing ?

is the new statikk on hit item gonna be the old madred but better?
BotRK is the old Madred's but better, WAY better. Lifesteal, cheaper cost, decent build path AND amazing active? Roit pls :3