Item Preview Dust Sweeping

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KnightOfOrder

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2012

Greeting Xyph, i know im not talking about the items specifically talked about in this topic, but i want to know what are your plans with the Gunblade?

ThaddeusMike

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
Just going to leave this here.. sneakily.. :3

Sightstone (650 Gold)
+125 Health
Unique Passive - Refresh (Ward) : Starts with 4 charges and refills each time you stop by your shop.
Unique Active - Ghost Ward: Consumes a charge to place an invisible ward that reveals the surrounding area for 3 minutes. You may have a maximum of 2 wards from this item at once.

Upgrades to...

*is dragged away by internal Riot teams*
You are such a troll. Baiting supports with the HoG removal and then posting this. You had me there.

Nice job. Not Zileas's style, but I think he would approve.

ploki122

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopeson View Post
Wouldn't this item make buying and even more so losing, an oracles even more painful for the purchaser. At least before when you invested your 400 gold you could regain that financial advantage by clearing enemy wards which cost them money. This would mean that being aggressive with an oracles is an even larger risk than it was before since enemy supports can refresh their wards for free. Oracles is still essential though to ensure any kind of map control.
You gain money from wards, 16 wards and you've repaid your oracle (unless it gets tweaked to be transformed into extract, in which case it might be less). Also wards aren't free, they're .25 recall per ward... if you force her support into recalling every 3 minutes from being out of wards, you just won bot lane (either their carry is zoned or dead, but he has the choice)...

VoodooSnake

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2012

You suggest Tiamat and remove heart of gold.
I don't want to live on this world anymore.

2 Swainz

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
On MBR - If you were getting it hoping to counter tanky bruisers - you were doing it wrong. Almost every item combination involving PD / BT / IE would let you deal more damage to high health bruisers.

Why is that? Mostly because Carries aren't expected to have a linear damage curve whereas MBR is a linear effect. Secondly, the primary statistic for determining whether you were tanky or not was resistances not health. The difference between a carry's health and a tanky bruiser's health ranges less than 50% porportionally a lot of the time - thus attacking % health doesn't really help out all that much.

Ionic Spark

Ionic Spark was a niche item made odd by the fact that much better options exist and it seems to fill an odd triple-niche: Survivability, On-hit, Wave clear. Who is this item supposed to be good on? It requires a very specific sub-set of characters (Tanky characters with zero wave clear that scales off attack speed) in order to be good - at which point it really starts to conflict with Wit's End for the same case.

Ionic Spark turns out to be a trap for most characters if you ever picked it up. It requires you to be ahead to be effective as the effect is highly conditional (every 4 hits.) It requires you to pick it up early as there's no scaling effect on the item (fixed magic damage). It requires you to be a specific sub-set of characters in order to be good in the first place.

A niche item with a huge set of conditionals, both champion-specific *and* context specific is an item that will never sit in a good place for very long as the thing that'll make it viable is most likely an abuse case that'll have to be nerfed in the future which makes all the other problems worse.
@Xypherous Calling it a niche item and saying that the passive is for wave clearing is about as far off as you can get. Ionic Spark synergizes incredibly well with Olaf, Irelia, Sion (their lifesteal/health regen steroids work amazingly well with the attack speed). It also works well with Teemo, Xin Zhao, Volibear, and other tanky bruisers. It's not only built for wave clearing, in fact most of the champions that build it don't even need it for wave clearing. It just gives some supplemental damage so its just not straight up attack speed. The magic damage dealt is very useful so these AD bruisers aren't so easily countered. The only thing wrong with it is a bug that was reported many times but never fixed - it procs the passive ever 8 hits instead of 4 at very high attack speeds.

ploki122

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaddeusMike View Post
Was it broken? It saw high level uses on two very popular high level champions (Shen and Irelia) Is the removal meant as an indirect nerf (thinking Akali/Jax and Gunblade)? If it wasn't broken and isn't meant as a creative nerf to two popular strong champions, then I don't actually think your logic tracks, but you don't actually say that its OP, just that it might be.
If I understood this one right (I think there was a post about it elsewhere, might be one of Morello's) it was more about how the item looked at lot better than it actually was (just look at all the QQ about it being the summum of all items, and you'll see he's right). So basically, there will still be wave-clearing items (new tiamat, sunfire, machete/wriggles and maybe even more), but none that are actually noob-baits

NoGoodInGoodbye

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaddeusMike View Post
Was it broken? It saw high level uses on two very popular high level champions (Shen and Irelia) Is the removal meant as an indirect nerf (thinking Akali/Jax and Gunblade)? If it wasn't broken and isn't meant as a creative nerf to two popular strong champions, then I don't actually think your logic tracks, but you don't actually say that its OP, just that it might be.
Only reason it was picked up on shen was because he has no lane clearing skill and it allows him to split push a LOT better and he just so happens to scale with AS and HP. Idk why you'd need it on Irelia though...

Whitetorch

11-09-2012

Couldn't you have the Ionic Spark's scale of of bonus health, say ~1 or 2% of bonus health so it would be a viable item on Shen or any other tanky character who lack wave clearing potential?

imhuge

11-09-2012

Keep Ionic Spark on Proving Grounds please

NoGoodInGoodbye

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooSnake View Post
You suggest Tiamat and remove heart of gold.
I don't want to live on this world anymore.
Because Tiamat will be getting reworked into a decent item...
Also the ward item helps the support account for the loss of hp by removing HoG without g/10 tanky jungles getting too snowbally by not needing damage and scaling on mass assists and g/10 items.