Item Preview – Dust Sweeping

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crowcide

11-09-2012

Xypherous can you comment more on ionic spark and the few champions it's core for? Most of those get both witts end and ionic spark. What is going to happen to them?

I think shen even won a game in the S2 Championships by being able to solo a carry with these items which resulted in a game winning push...

0hemgeez

11-09-2012

xyph can you please PLEASE explain to me how and why FON was removed? How can you even remotely say you feel:

Quote:
Force of Nature’s odd stat combination made it particularly difficult to make it feel like a quality purchase. One of its attributes was probably redundant or unnecessary on your character.
THATS RIDICULOUS! That's one of my core items for just about most of my tanks when stacking high health against a magic damage team. Whats not to love about movement speed, health regen and about 75 MR? That's my favorite item when playing malphite against a magic damage team...

Teleclast

11-09-2012

So wait Sona gets her base HP nerfed even harder so she basically needs HoG, and then it gets removed?

YoshiStampedeBlu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2012

Wtf...? Ionic spark on teemo, volibear, shen, naut, mundo, irelia, jax, Jayce with his ranged w, shaco, udyr, and warick is great. Why remove it? I was just starting to find its purpose.

FoN confusing? We all agree Movement speed is great on any champion. K. Magic resist is...magic resist. K. The hp regen is best used on champions who build alot of hp. K. So you build FoN when you need magic resist and have hp. K. So what was so confusing about this?

Krassith

11-09-2012

BRING BACK lNNERVATING LOCKET!!

Vencu

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
Indeed - I thought about this pretty hard - and came out the other side with - what is the alternative? What is the set item that you must get every game?

A stack of wards that continuously consume gold every minute of the game.

You see the problem of pigeonholing supports is an odd one - mostly because supports are pigeonholed into getting zero items at the moment - due to the high price of consumables.
i'll hold off judgement on it until i see the upgrade path, as it stands i still see no reason not to buy sightstone for laning phase, then once you get out of laning, you need the stack of additional wards for more coverage (granted your team should help support ward but how often does that REALLY happen)

SuPRenOoB

11-09-2012

Quote:

Ionic Spark – Removed

Ionic Spark is a bit of a confusing item right now. Ionic Spark only fully synergizes with one or two champions (Shen, Gangplank), but it’s good to have an effective wave clearing option for characters that lack an innate ability to quickly deal with waves of minions. For a proc-build, Ionic Spark is awkward because it grants a very inconsistent proc that does some damage but is inferior to Wit’s End in a lot of cases.

Alternative: Statikk Shiv, Tiamat, Wit’s End

Tiamat has been vastly upgraded as a passive wave clearing item, while Wit’s End has always been the traditionally stronger option for Attack Speed / On-hit builds.

[/LIST]
I always wanted to like this item. I think a few tweaks would have made it better. Maybe a reduced cost (slightly) and perhaps something like 25 magic damage each hit with an every other hit doing chain lighting up to 4 additional targets for 50 additional dmg.

The reason it was a bad item because like you said it was to inconsistent. It was hard to time the 4 hits to get it to proc. The general idea of the item is a good one. Just make it a bit more consistent instead of deleting it.

Fiestero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2012

Quote:
Indeed - I thought about this pretty hard - and came out the other side with - what is the alternative? What is the set item that you must get every game?

A stack of wards that continuously consume gold every minute of the game.

You see the problem of pigeonholing supports is an odd one - mostly because supports are pigeonholed into getting zero items at the moment - due to the high price of consumables.
Have u considered teams with more than 1 Sightstone??

Maybe the restriction should be for team! No more than 2 wards placed from Sightstone ...at al! (or maybe the global number may be 4..)

Zectre

11-09-2012

Quote:
Force of Nature - Removed

Force of Nature has been the go-to high MR item for tanks who want to counter magic damage. The item, however, is kind of confusing. Is it a movement speed option for fighters and tanks? Or is it meant to be a regeneration item in sieges? Force of Nature’s odd stat combination made it particularly difficult to make it feel like a quality purchase. One of its attributes was probably redundant or unnecessary on your character.

I can't agree with this. It's like saying that it's confusing for Lich Bane having to have movement speed. Is it confusing for melee AP characters like Mordekaiser to have additional move speed on top of the item's burst?

Tanky characters needed Force of Nature if they yeilded high HP counts, and the movement speed helped them get around and stay on targets that would otherwise waddle away without harm. While your points for adding more MR/MS% items holds water, it doesn't necessarily mean that you should outright remove it.

FoN was a particularly fun item, and the only item that actually paired well with high HP champions, even if they don't bum rush a Warmogs. It allowed for tanks to stay in the fight longer, and to get back in it when necessary. The HoT that scaled with the champion's health was the main reason anyone picked up FoN.

If this effect isn't held on to by the Spirit Visage, at the very least put it on a pure-HP oriented item, such as Warmogs, or something else.

Xypherous

Systems Designer

11-09-2012
9 of 56 Riot Posts

Quote:
Are you saying a new item will drain gold? Oh lordy lordy.
No - just that the current set item for supports is basically wards that they have to purchase every single time they go back to lane. While the optimal number of wards on a map is roughly around 5 depending on which objectives are up - the current optimal number of wards you should buy on a given trip back is as many as you can and afford anything else.

This item basically non-linearizes the cost of wards for supports. There is a gold efficiency curve for wards to gold spent.

Quote:
i'll hold off judgement on it until i see the upgrade path, as it stands i still see no reason not to buy sightstone for laning phase, then once you get out of laning, you need the stack of additional wards for more coverage (granted your team should help support ward but how often does that REALLY happen)
Yes, that's the theme of the upgrade.

However, we do want "overwarding" to actually have a significant cost - which comes in the form of inventory slot premiums like you're talking about here.