Statikk Discusses Preseason Jungle Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Masblue

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostStalker86 View Post
It sounds like you guys have already made up your minds, you are trading 3 lane's being played too passively for just having the jungle being played more passively.

I'll tell you what you're opening though. I'm calling this right now, so hear me out.

Junglers are going to take teleport and smite. And they're just going to teleport in for a gank when needed. Shen will also benefit from this basically having 2 teleports. Pantheon is going to benefit via the same way. Twisted fate will be even even better at mid since he can gank any lane he wants to. Creating more action in the lanes by making the jungle more passive will result in these and very similar flow of playstyles.

I think, at the high level, you're really restricting gameplay. But for those of us who are not there yet, you've opened up the game dramatically.

This is not the case, if anything this opens up a much more varied gameplay. Rather than just warding your own lane now it pays to ward both your jungle and the enemy jungle as well to be able to gank the enemy jungler who will be much more vulnerable with the increased strength of jungle camps. By extension duo top becomes viable again since for the enemy team to make use or your unused jungle they have to risk ganks that they have much less chance to escape from if timed correctly.

Rather than junglers just being the overbearing presence every lane has to watch out for now they are essentially their own lane and have the same risk of being ganked as anyone else from the way the changes have been described.

Sherrif

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statikk View Post
Actually just hopped on the internal server to do a jungle run with him.

To say the least, it's pretty impressive. His passive and Q debuff provide him with fairly good resilience in the jungle and the single target changes have definitely benefited his clear speed.

Couple this with what I know about late game Trundle with items (hint: it's pretty scary if he ults the right targets...), I think he has a better place in this new jungle.
Are these just numbers changes? Or are we talking camp repositioning, brush repositioning, different monsters, or is this all going to be number theories?

DeathKidFTW

11-09-2012

So, from my understanding, the first few levels in the jungle will be built around getting through your initial clear then considering the risk and rewards of a potential gank. These changes though are making me think that about 70% of the time the jungler is either going to go back to buy or just continue farming, and that ganks won't come around until levels 5 or 6. I'm sure that early ganks will be possible, but only on certain champs who are able to come out of the new jungle with higher health.

Youkai Zone

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2012

I guess top lane has to leash now.

IS1c5c21a2063c122d01032

11-09-2012

Statik have you guys ever considered making an item for tank junglers similar to catalyst but which also builds into a non-expensive item?

catalyst feels awesome for them but it doesn't have a very good item to build into

Get Tactical

11-09-2012

It's not broken , but you've just got to fix it eh? good luck shareholders

Zama174

11-09-2012

Quote:
[aws3]news/November_2012/2012_11_09_Jungle_Changes/kassadin_post.jpg[/aws3][*]Jungle monsters now attack the nearest target rather than attempting to chase their original attacker to make their behavior more consistent
Wait? Does this mean that we will no longer have leashes? Because, that forces the mid lane carry to stay for a longer time to put damage on the the starting buff and lose out on XP and gold.

Also, what about my super mans D:

MephyRunsAllDay

11-09-2012

I just hope you guys are testing invasions too. More specifically, Shyvana, Udyr, Mundo and alike against Fiddle or other vulnerable junglers just made them useless

Gløry

11-09-2012

Quote:
Sejuani's an interesting case because like many of the tank junglers her early clear is very painful. At the same time, she scales surprisingly well with items and so she's proven to be powerful if she can navigate through her early game troubles. Will make tweaks where they are needed.
Translation: she's boned. Sorry to open this up negatively, but if you guys were going to make tweaks as needed to Sejuani, she probably would have received..idunno, anything in the past year? Some champs just get to have all of the nice things like shields, damage reduction from creeps, built-in sustain, no mana or negligible mana costs, free attack speed, attackspeed slows, attack animation resets, AND awesome or decent ganks... and other champs just get a bunch of crummy AP ratios tacked onto moves with no ancillary effects when it comes to the jungle.

Quote:
Definitely keeping my eye on several cases like Nautilus. Because his utility and ganks are top of the line, his clears should certainly still be somewhat painful compared to junglers who don't bring those strengths.
This is the quote that bugs me. Because some champions just bridge this gap. Some champ will sweet spot it and be ridiculously good. A level 6 Skarner gank is arguably just as effective as a level 6 Nautilus gank, and I certainly don't think Skarner is going to have near as much trouble as Naut (conjecture, granted). And pre-6 gankwise, Skarner can close that gap with surprising speed without having to his a skill shot. Of course with the jungle changes maybe ganking early like that will cost Skarner more than he's willing to pay. I don't know. Just throwing out an example.

Because certain low damage aoe junglers that already struggle with the CURRENT jungle early (Nautilus, Sejuani) will seemingly have no hope with the new jungle. And the same thing happened last time around--Jungle was changed to favor aoe-types, Riot said a bunch of stuff about "keeping an eye" on single targeters like Trundle and Fiddle, but in reality, they just dropped out of viability for a year. Nautilus is already struggling with his nerfs and Sejuani has a multitude of her own problems, so I'm pretty curious to hear how they can stay relevant. Sell me on this, please.

Superbone1

11-09-2012

Quote:
[aws3]news/November_2012/2012_11_09_Jungle_Changes/kassadin_post.jpg[/aws3]

• Jungle monsters now attack the nearest target rather than attempting to chase their original attacker to make their behavior more consistent
This is honestly pretty scary as a jungler. People can no longer leash your buffs. Yes, this is good for champs like Trundle and Warwick (and I love playing them, too, so yay!) but I also love playing champs like Nautilus and Sejuani who really need to leash in order to be able to clear without dying (Sejuani is even worse now >_>). This also means less early game ganking (bye bye Lee Sin) because the jungler is tanking for longer.

Will we get a smite cooldown reduction? Because without a ton of damage from the lanes, a bunch of junglers will have trouble getting through the jungle to red.