Statikk Discusses Preseason Jungle Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ahmodan

11-09-2012

I don't understand why people are saying no more leashing...just alternate the champ that gets closest to the mobs, somewhat like when multiple people tank baron. Not hard, doesn't take much more time.

BadgerDrool

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statikk View Post
No the leashing that currently happens on Live will no longer exist, but we've found that teammates still stick around as long as they can to apply as much damage as possible before leaving for their lanes -- still helps the jungler out a ton.

This actually sounds preferable in some ways.

One of the really strong things about a great leash is that it gives a ton of free damage time where the jungler takes no damage. Blue could be taken with a good leash, bot helping, and smite with 0 damage from blue golem. This is a great fix for this problematic trick. Assistance will help you reduce damage instead of avoid and someone is going to pay a health tax.

Being far easier to employ is a big one. No more trying to time who hits first. Can just start attacking when needed. Don't have weird leash cases where a reset just ruins you. (If you need the leash to clear Blue and it resets without someone coming back to repull. Had this happen to me once on Naut + Regrowth) Not to mention it'll be easier to assist a jungler on a melee champion.

Hmm there's a question worth asking.

How does the new "attack closest" AI work if multiple melee champions are trying to clear something? Is there a bit of wiggle room to keep say Blue from suddenly swapping targets?

I do find it interesting to wonder about a tank holding a camp to soak damage for a jungler. I'd half expect someone to try it.

Quote:
Sejuani's an interesting case because like many of the tank junglers her early clear is very painful. At the same time, she scales surprisingly well with items and so she's proven to be powerful if she can navigate through her early game troubles. Will make tweaks where they are needed.
Good to hear. I bet the item changes are the biggest thing for her. GP5 stuff is actually really painful to get. Is Wicked Hatchet going to be good on her? Wriggles, Madreds, and such are not fantastic. Any of these new items AP or beefiness oriented?

SoraNoChinchira

11-09-2012

Quote:
To be completely honest with you, I don't think Volibear is a good jungler both on Live and in the new one currently in iteration. He feels currently much better suited for Top Lane.

Unlike other champions where I feel there are small tweaks we can make to ensure they are viable in the new jungle, Volibear feels fairly off and would need some significant changes (both buffs and nerfs) to switch him more into a jungle role.
In the same instance of what you said about making champion jungle viability, there were rumors going around that they were going to make Leona's passive work on jungle monsters for herself to make her more viable in the jungle. I actually jungle with her frequently - do you know if this is still going to be implemented? I was curious to his as I didn't see any hints of that.

Dagamarold

11-09-2012

I'm really sad with these changes,

I think it will ruin the game, you can't have both of both worlds, either you have a GANKING jungler or a jungler that only gank on lvl 6 like Warwick on old jungle, you can't mix them and hope it's okay.

Right now I think we have too many good junglers, of course I would like to see more champions being added to this, but changing the pacing in the jungle or changing the way minions work (removing leashing) this is way too far to change...

Also I only main Jungle and by reading this thread I really hope it doesn't ruin the game for junglers...

CracatoaX

11-09-2012

Is skarners jungle still just as good?

ViolentlyCar

11-09-2012

With Hunter's Machete dealing flat bonus true damage, does that mean that the Madred's procs are changing to be more consistent?

Gløry

11-09-2012

Quote:
Sejuani's an interesting case because like many of the tank junglers her early clear is very painful. At the same time, she scales surprisingly well with items and so she's proven to be powerful if she can navigate through her early game troubles. Will make tweaks where they are needed.
Translation: she's boned. Sorry to open this up negatively, but if you guys were going to make tweaks as needed to Sejuani, she probably would have received..idunno, anything in the past year? Some champs just get to have all of the nice things like shields, damage reduction from creeps, built-in sustain, no mana or negligible mana costs, free attack speed, attackspeed slows, attack animation resets, AND awesome or decent ganks... and other champs just get a bunch of crummy AP ratios tacked onto moves with no ancillary effects when it comes to the jungle.

Quote:
Definitely keeping my eye on several cases like Nautilus. Because his utility and ganks are top of the line, his clears should certainly still be somewhat painful compared to junglers who don't bring those strengths.
This is the quote that bugs me. Because some champions just bridge this gap. Some champ will sweet spot it and be ridiculously good. A level 6 Skarner gank is arguably just as effective as a level 6 Nautilus gank, and I certainly don't think Skarner is going to have near as much trouble as Naut (conjecture, granted). And pre-6 gankwise, Skarner can close that gap with surprising speed without having to his a skill shot. Of course with the jungle changes maybe ganking early like that will cost Skarner more than he's willing to pay. I don't know. Just throwing out an example.

Because certain low damage aoe junglers that already struggle with the CURRENT jungle early (Nautilus, Sejuani) will seemingly have no hope with the new jungle. And the same thing happened last time around--Jungle was changed to favor aoe-types, Riot said a bunch of stuff about "keeping an eye" on single targeters like Trundle and Fiddle, but in reality, they just dropped out of viability for a year. Nautilus is already struggling with his nerfs and Sejuani has a multitude of her own problems, so I'm pretty curious to hear how they can stay relevant. Sell me on this, please.

Veracious Embers

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2012

no more leashing, stop asking

ArrivedCornet

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamDesire View Post
Does that mean leashing won't work now?
Read Statikk's posts before asking questions. He answered that already.

HolyChalice

11-09-2012

Quote:
To be completely honest with you, I don't think Volibear is a good jungler both on Live and in the new one currently in iteration. He feels currently much better suited for Top Lane.

Unlike other champions where I feel there are small tweaks we can make to ensure they are viable in the new jungle, Volibear feels fairly off and would need some significant changes (both buffs and nerfs) to switch him more into a jungle role.
Volibear is a bear though

Bears belong in jungles

You get what I'm sayin'