What role should I focus on to start?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

zraven7

11-09-2012

Starting as a ranged carry is probably the best bet. AD or AP, bot or mid, that doesn't matter as much. What matters is getting a feel for laning, learning positioning during team fights, and most importantly, last hitting creeps. I started running support and, while I still love running support, my last hitting is pretty abysmal. I'm just now branching out some, and it's harder than it would have been if I had started earlier.

Kaalika

11-09-2012

I started by playing the free champions and quickly realized that like you, I died less on ranged carries who didn't have to be right in the middle of the damage in order to dish it out.

In SR, the ad ranged carry goes bot lane with someone else. At low level you hope there's a support who knows what they're doing but it'll probably just be another person competing for minions and kills with you instead of helping to get you fed. That makes learning adc a lot harder than it should be.

However, if you like ranged, try ap carry and go mid. That way you can learn to last hit and avoid deaths without also worrying about the other person in your lane. You can start to learn about how to zone the enemy and escape from ganks. If you do well you can call for a dragon fight (even in bot games) and sometimes go help the other lanes out with ganks.

If I were to start now to learn to understand League, I'd start with a couple of champions in each role. First AP mid, then learn both ADC and Support around the same time since they're interrelated, then Top and lastly Jungle once high enough level. Top has to learn both solo top and sharing the lane with someone else who may not be support.

In bot games you can even take an adc champ to mid if nobody picked an ap mid champ and someone else picked a ranged adc also. Can be good practice.

fastplay

11-10-2012

The only role you should not do as a new player is support since going 0cc might get you rage at abit in low lvl game where they do not know all the role and the other team run a kill lane.

It what every role you want to do I start doing jungle then I did solo top, then support,and mid and just start trying to pick up the adc role. you should be able to play all role well before you do ranked game.

OhBoyItsaMegaman

11-10-2012

At low levels, mid lane will probably allow you to pick up the basics the fastest. Why? Because you're fighting one on one without a teammate who might do really smart or really dumb things. It gives you a better feedback loop. In mid, when you play smart, you won't die. And when you do something dumb, you will die. If there's someone else in lane with you, you'll be tempted to think "I died there, but wasn't it really my lanemate's fault?" and there will also be situations where you do something bad but you get saved so it doesn't sink in that that was a reckless thing to do.

The first important laning skill that you learn is how to judge when you should back off, when you should stand your ground and trade, and when you should commit and go for a kill. Sink or swim in a solo lane to learn that skill the fastest. That'll usually be mid, because junglers aren't all that common at low levels, so top is often 2v2 or 1v2.

BStein

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-10-2012

hey i may be a little late to this thread but here is my 2 cents.

you shouldnt really focus on mastering a role until you have a basic understanding of what every role does. heck you probably wont see roles being a big factor in your games until you reach level 15 or 20. your time is better spent learning the basic information on each champ so you will not be going into any match up blind and will have an idea of what to watch out for when facing them.
after you get to the point where people start calling roles you will start to see what roles different champs are good at, you may get beat pretty bad in a couple match ups but thats part of learning.
once you know what champs are good where and what most of the champs do then you may want to focus more effort on trying to master a specific role.