What role should I focus on to start?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chopinator

11-09-2012

I am new to the game and was wondering what role (Soloing Lane, Support, Jungling, ect) I should focus on to start. From reading on here there is a ton of stuff to try and learn (If anyone has a good link on ward descriptions and what they do I would appreciate it if they could post it here) so I think I want to focus on one role and master that before moving on to try and learn other things. I don't necessarily need it to be easy, I pick up things fairly quickly.

I just recently stopped playing W101 (MMO) and I use to play Red Alert\SC Series (RTS) so this game is a new experience for me.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Nidilen

11-09-2012

Hey Chopinator

What would you want to do? Go tank all the damage and protect your carries, or carry yourself as a caster?

Personally I love being the AP carry, just landing those spells are so awesome!

Give a bit of a description as to what personality you like in a character and I will help you further! XD

~Nidilen

Chopinator

11-09-2012

I dont really have one, In the few games I have played it seems I do better (more assist and less deaths) with ranged carry then I do with melee attacks.

Chopinator

11-09-2012

But then again I have done well with zombie summoner and fiddlesticks too. Guess a lot of it had to do with teammates as well.

AJStarhiker

11-09-2012

Personally, I'd avoid jungle until you have runes/masteries to support the role. There are a few champions that can handle it early, but it can be rough until you can get the early survival/damage to survive jungling.

Then, there's the issue of having teammates who don't know to leash (deal and/or take some damage for you) or the importance of warding.

Nidilen

11-09-2012

Well then I have a few recommendations for you!

Personally I would start out with Ranged carry as, it is easier to get a grasp to last hitting (which is an important concept!). Also Ranged carrys are able to stay behind your tanks dealing massive amounts of damage, which defiantly can be fun!

This Class/Area:
- Is more late game damage
- Focus's on positioning
- A bit on the harder side
- Can make or break a victory!

Good champions to practice with would start out with the cheaper champions like ashe or sivir!

If you have any more questions just respond or add me in game!

~Nidilen

Nidilen

11-09-2012

Also agreed with AJStarhiker

Jungle is one of the more complex and harder things to start off with! XD

Chopinator

11-09-2012

So what role would a ranged carry do during a 5 on 5 ?
It seems like most matches (most have been 3v3 vs AI) I am running back and forth between top and bottom helping teammate and trying to lock down the altars in the middle. This has been the case whether I am using range carry or melee or hybrids.

Another thing I struggle with is buying items. I usually just buy the most expensive item I can get when I get back to start point for what ever I need the most at that time (health, armor, attack boost, ect) Is there a order or operations I should follow? I seem to be more successful with speed items and it allows better movement.

Sorry for all the topic jumping, I appreciate the help.

Ten Inch Rooster

11-09-2012

Wait until at least 15 to start to learn to jungle and even then there are only certain champions that will make it work (Udyr is probably going to be the easiest). One thing you will have to realize regardless of what position you play is that if you have a jungler on your team during early levels, chances are the enemy team will not and if your lane where its 1v2 (most almost always top lane) is not VERY defensive and staying at their tower you're going to lose that lane VERY fast. They will be so aggressive top lane that when the jungler ganks, your laning team member is probably very hurt and will be able to do little to assist your jungler. Always anticipate top to be fed later in the game at early summoner levels.

Nidilen

11-09-2012

Well an ADC during the begining part of the game should kill as many as those pesky minions as possible. Then with that gold that you obtain you become very strong by buying items like Infinity Edge or Blood thirster.

Then in a 5v5 situation you will find yourself in the back of the fight attacking the closest target to you, hopefully it can be the other Ranged carry, but you will have to defend yourself aswell!

Hopefully you will have teammates defending you, as you are going to be one of the main sources of damage!

So I will create a little story:

Varus (ranged adc) = Me

In a fight I would want to stay behind all my tanky people, and attack the closest target. Lets use a enemy brusier like the zombie champion (most likely sion) and Fiddle sticks the enemy ap carry.

My team is managing to attack the enemy fairly well, but they let someone tanky slide through. Though the main target is fiddle sticks, sion slides through the defenses and starts attacking you. None of the teamates come to help, because they are fixated on fiddle sticks. The situation you are put in is to start attacking the sion because he is closest, even though you would want to kill fiddle sticks if you had the chance!

So what I am trying to say is, Ranged Carries are super fun when they start to shine, but the early game is a bit slow!

If you are looking for more early/mid game damage you could always choose to play AP casters!

If you have any more questions about any other position (or more about Ranged Carries) I will do my best to answer them in more depth!

Happy Summoning!

~Nidilen