General info and tips...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Helixthief

11-08-2012

Im finally level 20...I have only played the crystal scar.

Im wondering if there is a guide to the most basic info for the game.

Here are some examples of what I mean?

How is damage, armor calculated..what about spell vamp/lifesteal?

How do you know if something deald physical or magic damage?

How does adding ability power scale damage from abilities?

What do the terms pusher, jungler etc. mean?

What are the basic roles and strategy for different maps?

And a collections of basic tips, faqs and other such things more exp players know.

Im really new to RTS, I never really played any before besides casually, and would like to get better at LoL, but I feel like there is a lot I dont know.

Superßoy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helixthief View Post
Im finally level 20...I have only played the crystal scar.

Im wondering if there is a guide to the most basic info for the game.

Here are some examples of what I mean?

And a collections of basic tips, faqs and other such things more exp players know.

Im really new to RTS, I never really played any before besides casually, and would like to get better at LoL, but I feel like there is a lot I dont know.
For the most basic info try here
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/learn/new_user_guide
Its the basic of the basic really

1.) Damage is calculated by many different factors like how much damage your bility or attacks do an then its gets a bit difficult to understand from here. Damage from auto attacks or abilities get stronger depending if you buy damage or ability power(More info on #4). Then Your damage is lowered depending on how much Armor or Magic Resist the enemy has but having armor or magic penetration reduces the amount loss from amor or magic resist.

2.) Auto attacks deal Physical Damage and for spells alot of them either Deal Magic Physical or True Damage.

Physical Damage is Lowered by Armor
Magic Damage is Lowered by Magic Resist
True Damage can not be lowered at all

To see what damage your spell does it should say in the description

For example: "Irelia, the Will of the Blades" Does all Three damage types

Her Q
"Irelia dashes forward to strike her target, dealing 20/50/80/110/140 (+1) physical damage."

Her W
"Irelia's basic attacks deal 15/30/45/60/75 true damage and doubles health restored for 6 seconds."

Her E
"Irelia pierces her target, dealing 80/130/180/230/280 (+0.5) magic damage and slowing the target by 60% for 1/1.25/1.5/1.75/2 second(s)."

3.) Spells Scale with many different things but the two most common ones are Attack Damage(Red) and Ability Power(Green). Each spell scales differently then others depending on how much of the Ap or Ad you have.

To see what the scaling is look up the champion and check out there spells.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/champions

4.) There are many different Roles here are a list of some
Pusher- A champion that works best at pushing a lane and getting towers down.
Jungler- A Champion who is usually best in the jungle. which means instead of playing in lane they level up by killing creeps in jungles and ambushing the enemy team in the lanes.
Support-A champion who helps other champions survive by either healing or shielding them or also by disrupting the enemy team.
Assassin- These Champions are the best at killing champions or taking a lot of there hp with a combo of there spells.
Mage- Really a Champion who uses spells more than auto attacking
Carry- A champion who usually does the damage for there team. The carry is usually easy to kill also making Tanks and supports there life lines.
Tanks- A champion who usually Takes the damage. The one who goes in first and out last in team fights. A champion who has the most health and defense but the lowest damage in exchange.
Fighter or what i call Bruiser- A Champion who can take damage and dish out there own damage as well.

5.) As a player who knows how to play and has experience heres my advice.
-Dont buy any runes!(yes wait till you get to Level 30 and buy Tier 3 runes)
-Play different Champions get to know what role you like the best
-Find your best role but still play other roles it will help you understand the game.
-When playing a game figure out what items work best for your champion. Using recommended items is a good start.
-If someone on the enemy team is killing you easily then Buy Armor or Magic Resist depending on the damage they use(you can find this out by looking at the Death Recap when you die.)
-Use wards they help tell you were enemies are and when its safe to go in or stay back.
-And the last most important Rule Work with your teammates. Never argue even if there calling you out it never works out in the end. if you try and put away your differences you can still when the game! Also if you lose dont let that get you down learn from it so next time something similar happens you can overcome that challenge.

Hopefully this helps and hopefully i wrote it to were it makes sense haha. If you need to know anything else or for me to go into detail on anything let me know and il do my best to help.

Nidilen

11-08-2012

Hey Helixthief

So I can answer most of these questions!

Damage is calculated based on both armor and armor penetration. Armour is currently calculated Damage multiplier = 100 / (100 + Armor)

Example: If your armor is at 100 and someone's original damage is 200 physical damage the damage reduction would be 50% and the damage that you would get hit for would be 100 (No armor penetration applied)
100/(100+100(the amount of armor))= 50% (.5)
.5x200(the damage coming at you) = 100

This works the exact same for magic damage!

Armor penetration is a little bit different!

There are two types or armor pen
- Percent based
- Flat based

For this season the flat base comes before the % based.

So lets say that you have 100 attack damage with 10 flat armor pen and 10% armor pen. You auto attack an opponent with 100 armor. Your opponent would end up with 81 armor after reduction and take 55 damage from auto attacks.

Math down here:
Final Armor of Opponent = (Orignal opponent's armour - Flat armor pen) * (1/(% armor pen))
81 = (100 - 10)*(1/.1)
81 = (90)*(.9)

Spell penetration works the same for Magic Resist!

Lifesteal is now based on the damage done after armor penetration is applied. So lets use the example above.

If after application you deal 55 damage, and you have 25% life steal, you would just take the damage applied and times it by the life steal value and thats how much you heal!

55*(.25) = 13.75 damage healed.

Spell vamp is easiest to predict but has two forms, Area of Effect and Single Target Spells

Single Target:
Its Damage (100) times the spell vamp (25%)

100*(.25)= 25 healed

Area of Effect:
Damage (100) times the spell vamp (25%) * (aoe coefficient .33333)
100*(.25)*(.333333)
25*(.3333)= 8.333 healed

How do you know if something dealt physical or magic damage?

It generally has the it in the description. But for the most part you can assume that most casters do Magic! Some AD champions are special, just read descriptions!

Also websites like http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wik...f_Legends_Wiki are helpful.

Each champion has specific scaling, for example I will use Orianna (My fav champion)
Her Q ability (Command Attack) Scales with 50% ability power, thus if I have 100 ability power, the ability will do 50 extra damage along with the base amount.

Once again I recommend looking at http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wik...f_Legends_Wiki or the main website.

Meta is known as the current play style in a game.

MIA is referred to as Missing in Action, generally this statement is to let the team know that your lane is missing.

Pushing is referred to as getting the minions to the enemy tower as fast as possible or to the nexus.

Jungler is a position in the current Meta where a player is killing things like wolves, golems, wraiths and both buffs. And when possible the person ganks for other lanes. This player is usually there to assist other lanes when in need.

Gank This is a term referred to as going into an allies lane in hopes of getting a kill.

For more terminology go to http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wik...ds_terminology

Superoy does a great job explaining each of the roles.

If you have any more questions just respond to this thread my thread http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2778882 or add me in game, as I am always looking for a friend as well!

~Nidilen

Helixthief

11-09-2012

Thanks guys both of your responses were helpful.

Should I start playing the standard map (3 lanes and jungles etc) or is the crystal scar a good way to learn? Basically will my learning in Crystal Scar translate well?

Helixthief

11-09-2012

One thing Im confused by.

If you have 100 armor and someone is going to deal 125 damage to you would you just take 25 damage?

On my champs stats is says something like 100 Armor reduce incoming physical attacks by 41%. in which case you would take much more than 25 Damage.

OhBoyItsaMegaman

11-09-2012

Quote:

If you have 100 armor and someone is going to deal 125 damage to you would you just take 25 damage?

On my champs stats is says something like 100 Armor reduce incoming physical attacks by 41%. in which case you would take much more than 25 Damage.
If you have 100 armor and someone is going to deal 125 damage to you, you'll take 62. It gets cut in half. Multiply the damage by 100 / (100 + armor).

Another way of thinking about it is this: every point of armor makes you 1% harder to kill. If you have 1500 HP and 0 armor, 1500 physical damage kills you. If you have 1500 HP and 1 armor, 1515 physical damage kills you. 1500 HP, 2 armor, 1530 damage kills you. And so on. At 1500 HP, every point of armor is like having 15 extra hit points. If you had 100 armor, it would be like an extra 1500 hit points (for a total of 3000). If you had 300 armor, it would be like an extra 4500 hit points (for a total of 6000).

You can double check this math with the formula above. At 300 armor, the percentage is 100 / (100 + 300). That's 1/4, or 25%. Someone dealing physical damage will have to deal you 6000 just for 1500 to get through.

Nidilen

11-09-2012

Quote:

Hello again!

If someone had 100 armor and you did 125 damage (without armor pen) the person would take 62.5 damage because

damage multiplier = 100/(100+armor)
0.5 = 100/(100+100)
0.5 * 125 = 62.5 damage

To figure out the amount damage you take is just taking the damage multiplier and subtracting it from one

1-0.5 = 50% damage blocked

In a situation where someone would block 41% of the damage, and if your auto attack was 125 you would find the damage multiplier

1-0.41=0.59
59% is the damage multiplier, so then take then take the original damage and times it by the damage multiplier.

0.59*125=73 damage

So if someone had 41% reduction on physical damage and was attacked by 125 Original damage, the amount of actual damage they would take would be 73 Damage!

Also I think that trying out summoners rift would be a fun idea, if you would like to add me, I would be happy to play a game with you!

Happy Summoning!
~Nidilen

ScorchXBanister

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-10-2012

Quote:
Thanks guys both of your responses were helpful.

Should I start playing the standard map (3 lanes and jungles etc) or is the crystal scar a good way to learn? Basically will my learning in Crystal Scar translate well?
I believe you should play Summoner's Rift, but your Crystal Scar learning won't translate well completely. Summoner's Rift is more dependent on last hitting and avoiding death, whereas Crystal Scar is more objective based and you aren't punished so severely for being dead. You'll really feel the negative effects of being dead and not getting CS because you've never played a mode where you don't gain a ridiculous amount of gold. However, Crystal Scar does put some emphasis on map awareness and teamwork, which will translate very well into Summoner's Rift, where that isn't really figured out leveling up but is desperately needed in competitive play.

As for the rest of your questions... Nidilen was pretty damn meticulous (I would have just started putting up Wiki links) but I want to add a few things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidilen View Post
If after application you deal 55 damage, and you have 25% life steal, you would just take the damage applied and times it by the life steal value and thats how much you heal!

55*(.25) = 13.75 damage healed.
If your autoattacks hit multiple targets, you gain X% of the damage dealt as HPs, where X is your life steal. Abilities that say "also applies on hit effects" will apply from life steal and not spell vampirism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidilen View Post
Spell vamp is easiest to predict but has two forms, Area of Effect and Single Target Spells

Single Target:
Its Damage (100) times the spell vamp (25%)

100*(.25)= 25 healed

Area of Effect:
Damage (100) times the spell vamp (25%) * (aoe coefficient .33333)
100*(.25)*(.333333)
25*(.3333)= 8.333 healed
[U]
Abilities that deal damage over time (DoTs) also heal for reduced effectiveness (33%), like Malzahar's Malefic Visions. This is much different from life steal in that AoE autoattacks do not have reduced healing. Also, abilities or effects that come from items and on hit abilities (Teemo's Toxic Shot, Cho'Gath's Vorpal Spikes) do not gain you any health at all.

Quote:
I'm really new to RTS, I never really played any before besides casually, and would like to get better at LoL, but I feel like there is a lot I dont know.
Damage is color coded when you inflict or receive damage. Physical damage is orange, magical damage is purple, true damage is white.
Ability power increases the effects of any ability that scales from AP. You can tell what it scales from by what color the additive/multiplier is, which is also color coded. AP scaling abilities have (+???) in green. HP Scaling is red, AD scaling is orange, and abilities that scale from mana are blue.

On Twisted Treeline, two champions lane both top and bot while the third player jungles. The jungling player is key; they provide vision on the map since no wards can be bought and a gank would be lethal to the laner, but they also prevent enemies from taking the altars and/or defeating either lane. Both junglers may clash from time to time depending on how the game is going. Around lv.11 a team can go take on the boss, and the other team might try to stop them. There's more to it, but it's still developing since it's a new mode.

Summoner's Rift has an ironclad meta rotation; one top, one mid, two bot, and a jungler. Top is a tough bruiser that can hold their own against the high damage high sustain duelists, mid is an AP mage with some CC for ganking who takes advantage of the highest levels gained, bot is a ranged carry who scales extremely well with items (Someone who is useless without them, anyway) and their support (a character who does well without gold or items). The jungler kills the neutral camps, ganks lanes, and secures buffs/dragon/baron, each high priority neutral monsters that the other team will also want and try to prevent them from having.

Technically LoL is a MOBA, not an RTS, although it was spawned from an RTS machine. A lot of the things you would like to know (or probably need to know) are things that aren't easily taught, and come about by experience.