Hows Volibear?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cocoboy

Senior Recruiter

11-09-2012

Ive always wanted to play him, but I just never bought him? What are his roles in the game? He he considered a good champion for what hes worth? Thx.

LegitKajit

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2012

He used to be good, but after Warmogs nerf, Atmas Nerf, HoG Removed, FoN Removed <------(everything in his core kit)

Jesus......

Colonel J

11-09-2012

Just pick Udyr.

Mutant Diplomacy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2012

Basically, he suffers from having no sustain outside of his passive. As it turns out, his passive just isn't enough to keep him alive. Spell Vamp doesn't work for magic damage on-hit, so he's going to die in almost every fight. On top of that, he's suffered a series of nerfs on the grounds that he was "super OP on release", but was bad for all the reasons that are still there today.

The roles he can fill are done much better by a number of different champions. Most obvious: Udyr and Warwick

Maybe when the new on-hit items for S3 come out, Volibear will be worth using.

Bear Furlong

11-09-2012

He is fun and can wreck unaware people really easily. He isn't the best choice but an unchecked voli is scary.

Simplici7y

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegitKajit View Post
He used to be good, but after Warmogs nerf, Atmas Nerf, HoG Removed, FoN Removed <------(everything in his core kit)

Jesus......
...Ionic Spark removed...

TheGrandDuelist

11-09-2012

He's a good jungler if played properly, but that's about the only place he fits right now.

The McSmashy

11-09-2012

Volibear is fantastic. He's a very strong earlygame champ and a top-lane bully. You can often get kills around level 3 if you play agressively and don't let your enemies sit back and farm or regenerate. Just gotta be kinda ballsy to do it.

Generally you want to start Boots + pots unless you KNOW you're going to be playing passively (Hint: Never). Start W, then QE, max W first, then E. If you're winning your lane, double dorans blades will make you never lose a fight again (Man, if only Volibear scaled on HP, too OH WAIT).

You want to be tanky AS on-hit. Ionic Spark (WHILE IT STILL LASTS), Wits End, Wriggles if you need the sustain, I'm a fan of Phage into FM but it's not always the best.

Don't rush Warmogs, you'll make your team cry tears of blood. Please, no.

Lategame you'll transition from an on-hit home-wrecker to a tanky initiator. Swap out Wits End for a FoN, Atmas starts to look appealing if you pick up a Warmogs, Randuins is always a good choice otherwise. You peel like a monster, slow people in an area, and lightning so hard Statikk had to get a name change because he was afraid of mocking Volibear.

In lane, you're a duelist. You're not someone who builds just health and wins from it, you build health and damage and your health turns into more damage and wins you fights because of it.

Don't be afraid to just use W on someone as a bit of harass, especially if they're around half health. It causes a lot of people to freak out, back off, and chug a potion or two. Keep the pressure, you should use your W on the enemy champion whenever it's off cooldown, unless you expect to duel them to the death soon.

Don't believe the lies! Ignite doesn't counter your passive, your passive counters ignite. Ignite will never out-damage your passives healing, at worst it breaks even. But you just saved yourself from an ignite kill because you're Like Eighty Percent Thor. And if they didn't take Ignite, or used it too early? It's mauling time!

Youkai Ningen

11-09-2012

I honestly think Volibear is a great and really underestimated top lane champion, he does well in quite a few match ups. Especially against an ad champion if you are able to build a doran's shield or two they work really well with Voli. He does a good chunk of hybrid damage, especially at level 6. I try to harrass with my q and w as much as possible. and save your w for as long as you can to get the most damage out of it, his e uses up qutie a bit of damage so I try to avoid using it as much as possible unless my jungler is coming to gank. The typical combo I try to do is walk up auto, q auto and if I can get a few more autos in I will if not I will use w here.

Speaking of ganks he sets them up very well with his flip and his slow, his passive is also pretty strong when baiting people. I can't tell you how many times it has saved me while I bait someone in to fighting me with my jungler nearby.