Rinoa's Post WCG Grand Final Blog

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rinoa

eSports Coordinator

10-05-2010
1 of 2 Riot Posts

The end of a gaming event is always bittersweet for me. I'm happy to be back at the Riot Office but at the same time I sincerely miss the WCG Grand Finals already. It was a pleasure working with Marcou, ZenonTheStoic and the four teams that participated in the tournament. Covering an eSports event can be really stressful so I appreciate all the feedback and comments from the community, I only strive to improve the quality of my coverage in the future!

With that being said, I think it's safe to say that I couldn't have asked for a better grand final match. I don't think I've felt that anxious watching a video game final before so I want to applaud both SK-Gaming and CLG for putting on such a good show. Also, props to Another Story and China Hero for coming out and experiencing competitive LoL even more as well as showing such good sportsmanship though they have been exposed to the game less.

Saturday was the 3rd/4th place decider match as well as the Grand Final. Another Story coming out on top over China Hero was definitely a surprise to everyone, it's always nice to see upsets in a tournament. I loved seeing some new champion choices in those games like Nasus and Rammus, this tournament as a whole is probably changing people's opinions on the meta game in terms of what's viable or what are the best choices.

The grand finals between CLG and SK-Gaming was definitely the highlight of the event for me. They got to play on the main stage which was really nicely setup by WCG. There were two large screens being held in the middle of the stage, all sorts of different colored lights and two large tables for the teams on stage. There were around four sections of seats in the audience so that many people could watch but our crowd was so massive that there were people standing and watching as well.

The first game was the biggest eye-opener of the tournament, especially for the North American community since we don't see Twisted Fate picked much at all in ranked games. That was some of the most flawless TF gameplay I've seen in a while so props to SK. SK-Gaming's split-push gameplay completely devastated CLG and you could see it on their expressions. I had view of bigfatjiji's face the whole time and he definitely looked nervous and demoralized a bit.

The last two games were evident of CLG's eager spirit to come back and win. Bigfatjiji reminded SK-Gaming of why they banned Anivia in the first game and CLG really held it down when it came to map control. The final game felt clear-cut almost from the very beginning. Congratulations to Counter-Logic Gaming for their epic and most-deserved WCG Grand Final victory.

Everyone made their way to the Target Terrace for Riot's afterparty that night to unwind after such a crazy match. I felt so stressed out just observing the games, so I can only imagine how it was for the players. Everyone lucky enough to receive a red Riot wristband took elevators up to the Target terrace. There were nice views, friendly folk and lots of free drinks! The party was filled with many Riot employees as well as our loveable League of Legends community members. I enjoyed getting more time to talk to some community members and just have a good time. Everyone mostly split off after the party ended, I myself retired pretty early that night because I was so exhausted.

Sunday, the final day of the event, had the closing ceremonies and grand final matches for other games. I watched some of the counter-strike grand finals with Chauster, bigfatjiji and Kobe24. HotshotGG took his live-streaming personality over to our booth and commentated some of the final games that day, including a Riot vs. community match where Riot won!

In the evening, everyone gathered at the main stage for the closing ceremonies. Sponsors were called on the stage to speak a few words and we got to watch some video montages of the event. League of Legends was the first game to be presented with the winners on stage, I guess this time they wanted the best, first. Marc Merrill aka Tryndamere presented the three teams with their medals as they marched onto the stage. All the LoL'ers in the crowd made it a point to yell out the loudest cheers, what an awesome community!

Sunday night was the WCG player party at the ESPNZone. I wanted to hang out with some of my friends that I didn't get to see much at the venue so I didn't get to say bye to all the LoL teams The party was upstairs in a few different areas. There were arcades and games for free, food and drinks. People that wanted to play some games and have fun were in the upper area where all the arcades were and the downstairs area had a more lounge feeling. It was a nice opportunity for everyone to mingle, including all the competitiors, WCG Ultimate Gamer folk and staff.

Here are the VOD's for the Bronze match and the Grand Finals:

Grand Final 1: SK-Gaming vs. Counter-Logic

Grand Final 2: Counter-Logic vs. SK-Gaming
Bans: (SK first) Morgana | Twisted Fate | Galio | Sona
Picks: (CLG first) Amumu | Shen + Janna | Ashe + Taric | Miss Fortune + Kassadin | Garen + Anivia | Tristana

Grand Final 3: Counter-Logic vs. SK-Gaming
Bans: (SK first) Anivia | Twisted Fate | Galio | Garen
Picks: (CLG first) Ashe | Morgana + Janna | Sona + Amumu | Shen + Kog'Maw | Taric + Annie | Kassadin

Bronze medal match:

3rd/4th match: Another Story vs. China Hero 1
Bans: (AS first) Garen | Morgana | Kog'Maw | Twitch
Picks: (CH first) Ashe | Galio + Miss Fortune | Shen + Taric | Kennen + Warwick | Amumu + Cho'Gath | Nasus

3rd/4th match: Another Story vs. China Hero 1
Bans: (CH first) Kog'Maw | Twitch | Garen | Miss Fortune
Picks: (AS first) Galio | Morgana + Ashe | Janna + Gangplank | Warwick + Shen | Ezreal + Rammus | Taric

That's all folks! Attached are photos from the event, credit goes to Nika Harper aka Nikasaur and Kara Leung.

Primavera

10-05-2010

Numbah wan!
Yaaaaa! Gj! Numbah Wan!
#1!

lZN5nmfDBTc1bgRT

10-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primavera View Post
Numbah wan!
Yaaaaa! Gj! Numbah Wan!
#1!

wat

CaptnBarbosa

10-05-2010

LoL put on a great show!

Morzas

10-05-2010

bigfatjiji told me that he scored with over 9000 chicks at WCG

Jubez

10-05-2010

hotshot is rockin some fresh jeans in the picture where hes doing commentary

SarenArterius

10-05-2010

which one is you?

DunKillMePlz

10-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primavera View Post
Numbah wan!
Yaaaaa! Gj! Numbah Wan!
#1!
Bigfatjiji numba wan! ima play ashe just like Bigfatjiji

Frozt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

The Council

10-05-2010

Jealous of not being there.

Ravel

10-05-2010

Wow.., gamers look weird holding flowers. They should have given them keyboards or something...