I need some help understanding elo

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tempestphile

11-09-2012

There are mixed theory of this, but should 3 person have simliar elo if their stats is like this?

a) 0 win 0 lost
b) 200 win 200 lost
c) 1000 win 1000 lost

Surely the last guy has more experience, but he could end up in a lower elo then the other 2 guy? Or am i somewhat off the tangent and that the match played is formulated also in elo calculations?

Malice the Red

11-09-2012

My understanding is that they should have similar but most likely not equal. The matchmaking is random, and your elo movement has to do with not only win vs loss but the elo of the players envolved

AlyCat103

11-09-2012

You can't determine your actual elo based on w/l.

To gain elo you have to win a game. And the amount you get depends on what your teams odds of winning/losing were for that game.
If you win a game that matchmaking thought you should lose you gain more elo than if matchmaking thought you should have won that same game.

say you've played 10 games and have 4 wins and 6 losses - you can go up in elo despite having a negative w/l ratio. Here's an example of a break down:

game 1: at odds to lose - won game +14 elo
game 2: at high odds to lose - lost game -10 elo
game 3: odds to lose and lost -12 elo
game 4: high odds to lose and lost -8 elo
game 5: hgih odds to lose and won + 16 elo
game 6: odds to win and won +12 elo
game 7: high odds to lose and won +16 elo
game 8 high odds to lose and lost -10
game 9 high odds to lose and lost -8
game 10 high odds to lose and lost -8

If I did my math correctly - this set of games results in a higher elo gain than loss (you gained 2 elo). The same wins and losses could have also resulted in a negative net elo.

In general people say if you win more than you lose, you gain elo - but there are exceptions.

Players with the same w/l ratios do not have the same elo.
The more games games you play - the more accurate your elo rating is (larger sample size). Eventually you should get to a point where you win ~50% of your games (your true elo rating).