@RIOT - Ideas for ranked inactivity!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Exarch

06-07-2013

Hello Folks,

Some people love ranked - the competition, stress, risk, and reward. Some people aren't a fan - disliking the above notions and preferring a more "casual" game environment. The problem is that once one has been "placed" in ranked, they cannot become unplaced, but will continue to fall through all the way to Bronze V if they cease ranked activity.

This is an issue for a few reasons. First of all those who decide that they don't enjoy ranked after playing 10 or more games will eventually end up being represented as Bronze regardless of their actual skill. The reason for this is obviously to avoid players from reaching a certain level and simply ceasing activity in order to maintain that level. This is understandable, but there has to be some solution to those who decide not to play ranked.

For example, I was placed in the upper half of Silver II at the beginning of S3. After deciding that ranked really isn't "for me" I have fallen all the way down to the bottom of Silver III and will keep falling unless I play a ranked game every 2 weeks or so.

I don't wish to be represented as a lower skill level than I possess, nor do I wish to have a title I don't deserve (for attaining a rank and then not playing).

I propose a potential 1-time "opt-out" of ranked, allowing players who have been placed in ranked to "opt-out", essentially banning them from ranked for a set amount of time (possibly 2-3 months?) and removing their ranked status for the current season, effectively "unplacing" them.

This would help to solve the problem of those who wish to not have ANY rank and wish to not continually fall through the ranks, while not providing a cheap and easy way for players to "reset" their rank due to discontent with their status.

I think this would be an easy implementation and would help alleviate the feeling of disappointment of watching one's rating fall further and further simply due to not playing. I know personally I'd rather be unranked than watch my rank fall down into the abyss.

Another potential solution would be to re-implement the Season 1-2 idea of no ELO/MMR decay at a certain level, for instance Silver III or somewhere in that area. That way players couldn't "seal" their rewards level in Gold, but wouldn't fall into Bronze simply due to inactivity.

These are only potential ideas based on my own thoughts and I welcome other opinions and ideas .

Thoughts? Ideas? Comments? Concerns?

Evenoix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-07-2013

I think this might get abused for people who had a really bad placement at the beginning of the season to try and re try...

Exarch

06-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenoix View Post
I think this might get abused for people who had a really bad placement at the beginning of the season to try and re try...
I'm aware of that, which is why I proposed that it would ban you from ranked for a long time, maybe even for the rest of the season.

I would even be fine if it was an opt-out for the whole season.

Age of Oblivion

06-07-2013

Um.... if you don't care about playing ranked games, then why do you care if you get placed in Bronze V?

Exarch

06-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Age of Oblivion View Post
Um.... if you don't care about playing ranked games, then why do you care if you get placed in Bronze V?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordion View Post
I don't wish to be represented as a lower skill level than I possess, nor do I wish to have a title I don't deserve (for attaining a rank and then not playing).

Did you even read my post?

You'll get people LoLkinging you in normals and harassing you for being Bronze, etc...

Age of Oblivion

06-07-2013

Quote:
Did you even read my post?

You'll get people LoLkinging you in normals and harassing you for being Bronze, etc...

Idiots are idiots wherever they may be found. If you don't want to play League in ranked, that's fine. But presumably you are only playing to have fun then - so if people whining at you about being Bronze detracts from your fun, just mute them. If people on the forums are calling you a n00b because you're Bronze but you have a fantastic KDA in normals, laugh at them for the idiots they are and move on. I see no need to corrupt a perfectly workable system merely to try to stop trolls from being trolls.

Siosilvar

06-07-2013

Quote:
To which the correct response is "I got matched with you, moron, you're no better than I."

Exarch

06-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Age of Oblivion View Post
Idiots are idiots wherever they may be found. If you don't want to play League in ranked, that's fine. But presumably you are only playing to have fun then - so if people whining at you about being Bronze detracts from your fun, just mute them. If people on the forums are calling you a n00b because you're Bronze but you have a fantastic KDA in normals, laugh at them for the idiots they are and move on. I see no need to corrupt a perfectly workable system merely to try to stop trolls from being trolls.
It's barely corrupting a working system. Giving me the option to decide I want nothing to do with ranked anymore has no negatives if safeguards are built into the system to keep people from abusing it (resetting rank, etc...) There's a reason I've intentionally not finished my placement matches on my 2nd account, and I wish I could set my account back to that state, but obviously that is unviable. That's why I would wish to remove my ranked status completely and also remove my chance to go back into ranked for the rest of the season, as there has to be a way to keep abuse out of the system.

This would not even be very difficult for RIOT to implement, and they could even charge like 1300 RP or something for the service, allowing them to make money off of it as well. That is the kind of thing I'm suggesting.

My reasons for wishing to do so may not be shared by all, but I believe they are valid and may apply to many other members of the league community.

Exarch

06-07-2013

bump for exposure!

Glorkle

06-07-2013

The only reason you'd want this system is that you were getting harassed by people cause of your rank. This isn't even a system problem, it's a community problem. People would still harass you with this, they'd just say "Wow you aren't even ranked noob".

I'd rather they use their resources in more useful ways.

The system is designed simply. You don't play ranked for a while, you decay. So you can't just get to Gold and then never play ranked again and say you are gold. Either play a ranked match and get over it, or decay.