Asking for Honors

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

first time Vayne

11-07-2012

Lately, I've noticed a recurrence of people asking for honors after games.

I consider this to be the same as trading honors with your friends. If you were genuinely pleasant in-game, you will receive honors. Perhaps mention that you are honoring some people.

But outright asking for honors from the group and especially directly offering honor trades is not only tacky, it defeats the purpose of the Honor system. Honor will never be as successful as it has potential to be if people ruin the image of having ribbons by trading and asking for unearned honors.

I reprimand and report people who ask for honors which they did not deserve. I don't want to be your mommy, but I care about this community and want to see it prosper. Currently, the community environment is rather poor, but it used to be way worse before Honor. Honor has great potential to mitigate trolling and raging if we all play by the rules with it. Let's not dampen its chances of success.

Anyone feel the same way?

first time Vayne

11-07-2012

To add to my previous post, I currently have dozens of Teamwork and over one hundred Honorable Opponent honors as well as handfuls of the Friendly and Helpful ones, ALL of which I earned HONESTLY and without EVER asking for even one. It's completely possible to earn your honors the right way, and your rewards are greater in the long run because games are generally more pleasant. That's the purpose of the Honor system. Don't abuse it.

I believe Riot should make Honor abuse punishable... There should be a report option for that. Thoughts?

SomeCallMeEd

11-07-2012

Eh, it happens in any game with some sort of "status symbol". They feel they NEED a ribbon to be either A) Noticed, B) Feel superior, C) Be competitive, or D) Looks.

Same with Hats in Team Fortress 2, Capes in Runescape, Challenge Transmog Gear in WoW, etc.

I wouldn't outright report or ban em, just ignore em and take pride in the ribbon you earned by being a good and mature player.

gogy09

11-07-2012

I never get honor from the opposing team. I guess I pwn them too much they get pissed off.

first time Vayne

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeCallMeEd View Post
Eh, it happens in any game with some sort of "status symbol". They feel they NEED a ribbon to be either A) Noticed, B) Feel superior, C) Be competitive, or D) Looks.

Same with Hats in Team Fortress 2, Capes in Runescape, Challenge Transmog Gear in WoW, etc.

I wouldn't outright report or ban em, just ignore em and take pride in the ribbon you earned by being a good and mature player.
I know exactly why it's happening, but that NEED for A,B,C,D isn't the unfortunate part needing changing. That is exactly why the Honor system can work. The unfortunate part needing changing is that some players would rather cheat to achieve A,B,C,D instead of follow the intended path of the Honor system (i.e. being honorable). Their shortcut is indeed shorter, but it will make the community worse than before if left unchecked.

If we do nothing about people achieving ribbons illicitly, then having a ribbon will lose its luster. People will just assume that we cheated to get them, and players will stop trying to earn them by behaving honorably. I've already seen a guy griefing in another thread about how he ignores ribbons because they're probably traded for. That's actually what motivated me to OP this.

Sorator

11-07-2012

Definitely agreed that asking for honor should be reportable. I certainly don't give it because someone asks, and I've actively decided not to give it because someone asked. (Mentioning something more like "remember to honor" is fine by me, because that's not exactly asking for it for yourself. But "honor plz"... no, just no.)

I don't think those who ask for it will ever actually get a ribbon, honestly, because Riot seems to have already thought of that. But still.

Darkwolfyy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2012

I just ignore the people that ask for it, chat doesn't change my opinion at all. I reward those who played well with teamwork and enemies who are humble in defeat as well as played decently with honorable opp. Sure it would be nice to get those (frame & Ribbon) for yourself but I don't care as much as to request people to honor me.

If i was good, I was good and hopefull people see that and give me an honorable opp. or teamwork etc., if not, oh well, there's always next game.

LogicalTautology

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogy09 View Post
I never get honor from the opposing team. I guess I pwn them too much they get pissed off.
I think you'll find that there exists another reason you don't get Honour from opponents. One that is made abundantly clear in your post here, actually.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

11-08-2012

I have 12 Friendly, 12 Helpful, 60 Teamwork, and 13 Honorable Opponent, but no ribbon.

SnipesXP

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorator View Post
Definitely agreed that asking for honor should be reportable. I certainly don't give it because someone asks, and I've actively decided not to give it because someone asked. (Mentioning something more like "remember to honor" is fine by me, because that's not exactly asking for it for yourself. But "honor plz"... no, just no.)

I don't think those who ask for it will ever actually get a ribbon, honestly, because Riot seems to have already thought of that. But still.
I also agree, another thing that I noticed is that people think honor directly equates to skill. what I'm saying is that I see a lot of very rude players who say they deserve ribbons because they are really good.
I've seen this a few times, for example, I was just playing with some of my friends in normals, we all hard random'd in twisted treeline, of course it didn't go well (my luck with hard random is pretty bad). I think i ended like 0/3/2, and my 2 other friends were a little negative too. Anyways, (back to what i was saying) after the match the one of the people said, "You don't deserve your honorable opponent medals, you guys suck" and then asked for honor because they "pwned" us.

tldr; I agree with the person above me, and some players think that ribbons are rewarded to skillful players, not honorable players