Twisted Treeline AMA Recap

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Unredeem

11-10-2012

I'm not commenting on the forums, buying RP, or providing feedback any more as long as this abomination continues to be shoved down our throat.

ratcharmer

11-10-2012

Do you intend to try to make support champions viable on TT? (you mentioned trying to balance it so more champions are viable there)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unredeem View Post
I'm not commenting on the forums, buying RP, or providing feedback any more as long as this abomination continues to be shoved down our throat.
*comments on forums to say he refuses to comment on forums*
;-P

FraggingBard

11-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot GTez View Post
Nocticate: Can you keep the old TT as a custom game mode?

Volibar:
We want to make sure that we don't split the focus of our players for each game type. For the same reason we probably won't ever go create a 5v5 map that's really similar to Summoner’s Rift, we didn't want to split the TT community between two maps – especially if competitive play is to grow on TT, having two maps, even in custom games, is detrimental to that.
While normally I'd highly agree with not splitting a playerbase, in this case it won't matter as much. If you want a competitive TT then just make the new TT an official map mode playable in tourneys on par with SR. Throw money at it, seems to work so far. :P

The crowd who plays against AI or just has no interest at all in ranked will play on the old map, while the ranked crowd will play on the new one. Keeping the old map as a custom mode only serves only to entertain the non-ranked section of your playerbase.

In theory anyway.

Unrelated to that, the new TT is actually decent. Well, the new items are. The altars are annoying and having a few jungle camps serves only to trick people into thinking jungle is viable even though it's so easy to gank that any jungler will end up feeding horribly.

But the new items are fun, they make champions like Olaf and Fiora much more playable against ye olde Darius/Garen steamroll.

FraggingBard

11-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unredeem View Post
You're assuming people read these. Everyone knows the easiest way to satiate an audience is to give them a podium. It's like voting, parties make deals with each other to determine who wins. You just get to feel like you're influencing it somehow which keeps you happy.

If anything your post will just be added to Morello's wall of fame where he lounges around basking in his unholy glory. Dude's like Dracula but with less Disney.

FraggingBard

11-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratcharmer View Post
Do you intend to try to make support champions viable on TT? (you mentioned trying to balance it so more champions are viable there)
In my experience, keeping mind that a sample of 1 is statistically negligible, supports are actually really useful if you build them right on the new TT. Given how the jungle is easily accessible and can't be warded, jungling is highly risky and can easily throw a game if the other team realises they get to gank with impunity. Because of that, a support with a GP10 build (runes, masteries, a few items) will benefit highly since they leave your two teammates free to farm, while helping to push a lane hard if the other team has a jungler. Should be enough to get you a quick advantage which will win the game if you can capitalise on it. IE: Push the lane, cap both altars, destroy the other team through superior damage, buy up, destroy through superior items, /dance on their burning nexus.

With a support and Blade of the Ruined King you can take along squisher champions too which means champions like Fiora are not only viable, they're powerful. Makes things interesting at least. Garen is good, but not that good. Or you can take Teemo with a GP10 build, grab Blackfire Torch and pretend you're a sentient Wriggles Lantern with a bonus of negating any auto attackers on the other team. For full effect, try a novelty account called "Rise of the Wards" and shroom it up.

mynameislomic2

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-11-2012

I agree that we will all get along with the new TT. But the most important point I hate the new TT is that it requires more teamwork than the old TT, thus making some People (bad match making) lose dealing he cant carry like they do on the old TT. I am looking forward to see that the old TT is still avaliable.

My Desired Name

11-11-2012

Why play TT when you can play Dominion now? They're the same thing, with different team sizes. It's basically just replaced a 3v3 version of SR with a 3v3 version of Dominion, instead of just adding it. Doesn't make any sense. Who cares if it divides the community up a little bit, it's not like everyone's going to abandon the other maps or not play the new one. Don't get me wrong, I like play the new TT alot but I miss the old one too..

Eunson

11-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by APictureofagoose View Post
The new [Treeline] map is AWESOME guys! I don't know what everyone is so against!!! I could see how you would hate it if you lose every time so let me tell you the new STRATEGIES.

1. ONLY PLAY BRUISERS (only 15/88 champs viable now)
-Better get used to playing and seeing the champs!
2. LEARN TO STOP HAVING FUN (Altars... Go get them!! Why? Cause standing in 1 place is fun!)
-Forget the burdens of laning 1v1, figuring out someone's play styles and adapting counter strategies because this is definitely not what a strategy game is about.
3. NEVER FARM, ONLY GANK (Last hitting is dumb and hard)
-Run back and forth, speed buff to bot, speed buff to top, repeat until you have 10 kills.
4.LEARN TO NOT CARE (Impending ganks keep you in constant panic and theres nothing you can do to defend yourself if you fall behind.)
- Lose the first team fight and spend the next 25 minutes slowly being grinded down! FUN
5. PRACTICE ON DOMINION (Because 100% of the community loves Dominion)
-They also love having a map completely changed 3 weeks before the season's end and being forced to play it.

I've played this map about 20 times and the curve of learning matches the rate of enjoyment. At first it's terrible because you don't know whats going on but then it gets slightly better when you figure out what I've listen above. However, it becomes terrible again because every team will do the same thing, every single time, every single game. Play bruisers and only team fight. For some reason having a team fight every minute kind of makes team fighting less enjoyable.
lol

A Dark Figure

11-12-2012

Quote:
Nocticate: Can you keep the old TT as a custom game mode?

Volibar: We want to make sure that we don't split the focus of our players for each game type. For the same reason we probably won't ever go create a 5v5 map that's really similar to Summoner’s Rift, we didn't want to split the TT community between two maps – especially if competitive play is to grow on TT, having two maps, even in custom games, is detrimental to that.

This makes me very concerned with the game. I have played for over 2 years on the same 5v5 map, it was always fun to sometimes play the 3v3 map for variety but I never enjoyed playing an entirely different game (dominion, new 3v3, ARAM) Now I am left with no variety, and it looks like there will be nothing for me to look forward to in the future of this game.

Pedroche

11-12-2012

Hey, im just wondering, you guys removed wards, but teams with champions like Teemo or Shaco, Nidalee, Caitlyn, etc, get some map awareness that cant be balanced unless you got yourself one of them on your team. i know there are items you mentiones above that gives you map awareness but how can you compete with Teemo mushrooms?