Preseason Itemization Preview

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

telefone

11-07-2012

Can we expect more champion specific items like bonetooth necklace?

Budclaw

11-07-2012

This is good, very good.
When you said about Warden's mail and feeling compelled to buy Randuin's Omen, Glacial Shroud also came to mind. Will glacial shroud have more options as opposed to just Frozen Heart?

LeBlurgot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2012

Will we be seeing many changes to AP items with utility, such as Deathfire Grasp and Rylai's Crystal Scepter?

As well as that, will we perhaps see a late game item built from Haunting Guise to account for a lack of late game flat Mpen, especially considering the % and flat penetration priority switch?

SuperCostaBro

11-07-2012

So about that Nashor's Tooth...

Moobeat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2012

What's happening to the super underused items like Tiamat, Malady, Nashor's Tooth?

Also, are you doing anything with consumables?

IS1919c0afb0e5a67513f39

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
[aws3]news/November_2012/2012_11_07_S3_Itemization_Preview/Xypherous_Top_of_Post.jpg[/aws3]

Hey guys,

Iím Xypherous, a Technical Designer here at Riot Games. Iíve been working a bit on the goals for itemization changes as we head into the preseason, focusing mostly on specialization, player self-expression, and adding new gameplay patterns in the game. We wanted to fix a lot of the existing problems that players have with items and try to add more depth in terms of itemization. Let me go over the major goals we have for the preseason item changes:

Clean up / Reworks

We have some items that need a lot of love and some items that simply donít have a place in the current framework in the game. We either made these items relevant for a specific purpose or removed them if they were too problematic to balance. Some super-niche or narrow-scope items have been remade to work on a greater variety of champions.

Specialization

There arenít enough items to allow each champion to really feel like they have their own unique build. We also want to add more items that allow you to specialize for the particular game that youíre in. Weíre adding items to give players in each role alternate primary builds that fill out their teams better. If your carry needs to do more AoE damage, he has an option for that. If your primary AP caster needs additional CC capabilities, thereís an option for that, too.

We want players to have a degree of specialization in terms of playstyle, and to buy items that complement that playstyle rather than simply giving them the highest raw stats.

Gold and Statistics Pass

Weíve done a complete gold and statistics pass on the entire item shop. Many statistics have been reevaluated to better reflect how much gold they are worth at a particular stage of the game. Premiums have been adjusted across many items to reflect how difficult they are to build or how niche they are, rather than their raw statistical strength. Items that grant early Resistances / Attack Damage / Attack Speed have all been reevaluated in terms of strength.

Breadth and Depth

One of the most important things we tried to accomplish during the preseason was to ensure that your mid game items didnít pigeonhole you into certain choices later in the game. Weíve also endeavored to give mid-tier items more late game options so that you donít run into dead-ends as the game progresses. If you build Wardenís Mail in the mid game, you shouldnít feel compelled to buy Randuinís Omen every game. We wanted to make sure that at each stage of item progression gave you upgrade choices later on.

We know that some of your favorite items might be affected by the coming update. Iíll be discussing many specific examples in depth leading up to the patch. If youíd like more information on a specific change, reply to the thread and Iíll answer your question if I can.
Sounds great! I was wondering if you have created more viable item options for AP junglers (Diana, Fiddlesticks, Nautilus, Elise etc.), as well as AP items that provide not only movement speed but attack speed as well. An equivalent of Phantom Dancer for AP casters. It would help them immensely. Hope you'll reply Xypherous Thanks!

Creeping Death

11-07-2012

Any sneak peak for an item that would make renekton a more viable choice?

WarlordAlpha

Recruiter

11-07-2012

Quote:
We’ve also endeavored to give mid-tier items more late game options so that you don’t run into dead-ends as the game progresses. If you build Warden’s Mail in the mid game, you shouldn’t feel compelled to buy Randuin’s Omen every game. We wanted to make sure that at each stage of item progression gave you upgrade choices later on.
This is almost certainly my favorite part of this entire post. I don't run into this as much with AP carries (and we won't even talk about AD carries), but I know that if I'm playing a tanky bruiser top, like J4 or Darius, I might want an early hexdrinker. That's fine, but I may not want Maw later on, I might want something that gives more resist and less damage like (the now-defunct) warmogs. Now I either have to take a big hit on gold and sell Hexdrinker, or build a Maw which gives me way more damage and way less survivability than I really want.

Now, on these same lines, a question for Xypherous: what are you guys doing with the current handful of what I'll call "orphan" mid-tier items, items that aren't slot-efficient enough in an end-game build and don't build into anything. You know, items like executioners calling, and especially the tenacity items like moonflair spellblade? Are you going to give them upgrades, like how you gave Hexdrinker an upgrade path to Maw, or how you gave Chalice an upgrade path to Athene's? Or are you just going to straight-up remove them and make existing mid-tier items build into late-game items with the desired effects?

Along those lines, could you go into more detail on how the item rework plans to address the tenacity items?

AquastarBlue

11-07-2012

How will burst mages that sort of fall off be affected by the new item changes. I would love to see AD assassins and LeBlanc become more viable options because they tend to fall off or struggle due to low itemization (and with the nerf of DFG).

BeastBox

11-07-2012

Quote:
If youíd like more information on a specific change, reply to the thread and Iíll answer your question if I can.
Well your day just got booked ...