Preseason Itemization Preview

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Darc Samus

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
[aws3]news/November_2012/2012_11_07_S3_Itemization_Preview/Xypherous_Top_of_Post.jpg[/aws3]

Hey guys,

Iím Xypherous, a Technical Designer here at Riot Games. Iíve been working a bit on the goals for itemization changes as we head into the preseason, focusing mostly on specialization, player self-expression, and adding new gameplay patterns in the game. We wanted to fix a lot of the existing problems that players have with items and try to add more depth in terms of itemization. Let me go over the major goals we have for the preseason item changes:

Clean up / Reworks

We have some items that need a lot of love and some items that simply donít have a place in the current framework in the game. We either made these items relevant for a specific purpose or removed them if they were too problematic to balance. Some super-niche or narrow-scope items have been remade to work on a greater variety of champions.

Specialization

There arenít enough items to allow each champion to really feel like they have their own unique build. We also want to add more items that allow you to specialize for the particular game that youíre in. Weíre adding items to give players in each role alternate primary builds that fill out their teams better. If your carry needs to do more AoE damage, he has an option for that. If your primary AP caster needs additional CC capabilities, thereís an option for that, too.

We want players to have a degree of specialization in terms of playstyle, and to buy items that complement that playstyle rather than simply giving them the highest raw stats.

Gold and Statistics Pass

Weíve done a complete gold and statistics pass on the entire item shop. Many statistics have been reevaluated to better reflect how much gold they are worth at a particular stage of the game. Premiums have been adjusted across many items to reflect how difficult they are to build or how niche they are, rather than their raw statistical strength. Items that grant early Resistances / Attack Damage / Attack Speed have all been reevaluated in terms of strength.

Breadth and Depth

One of the most important things we tried to accomplish during the preseason was to ensure that your mid game items didnít pigeonhole you into certain choices later in the game. Weíve also endeavored to give mid-tier items more late game options so that you donít run into dead-ends as the game progresses. If you build Wardenís Mail in the mid game, you shouldnít feel compelled to buy Randuinís Omen every game. We wanted to make sure that at each stage of item progression gave you upgrade choices later on.

We know that some of your favorite items might be affected by the coming update. Iíll be discussing many specific examples in depth leading up to the patch. If youíd like more information on a specific change, reply to the thread and Iíll answer your question if I can.
What items are you looking to give AD casters? Will you be introducing items that give attack damage - spell vamp, or more armor penetration items? How about items that use a similar sheen passive, but in a super version, but isn't a trinity force? The other items have super versions (phage --> frozen mallet, zeal --> phantom dancer, sheen --> ?)

FullFlex

11-07-2012

Im so exited for the new items! maybe we will have some new op champs in season 3......

MostDark

Recruiter

11-07-2012

Great Works keep it up <3

DrnkTnkMnkyPnch

11-07-2012

id love to see different levels for items... like if you have a full build and the game just is not going anywhere.. a summoner can upgrade certain levels of certain items they have.. this allows customization that will give one team an edge based on what items and when you level them up... just a thought

Salbahi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2012

when is the next patch cmon already T_T

k2water

11-07-2012

ive been wondering if your going to improve mobility for ap casters, like you did with the hat in the newer 3v3.

Tempestphile

11-07-2012

So say like if you build Avarice blade for the early gp5, or glacial shroud for some early defense, mana and CDR, you have more choice late game into what it builds into, instead of the same old FH every game?

PharIVIacisT

11-07-2012

I just wanna know if you guys have fixed Renekton and similar champs falling off hard late game with the new items/tweaks since you wont do anythhing to the champ(s). Would like info on this thank you.

Peffern

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best Mage NA View Post
First of all, I'd just like to say I am very excited and can't wait to see some of these items! Being able to buy warden's mail (very gold efficient item) without having to buy Omen? Sign me up!

Anyways, my question stems from the role I play most (AP Carry). While I know it's cool to ask about spellvamping AD bruisers, etc, do you have anything lined up for some of the tankier AP mids? Champions like Brand, Malzahar, Elise, Fiddlesticks, Malphite, Morgana, Vlad, Rumble, Syndra, and Ryze are all champions that have to get pretty close to function properly. I feel like, barring some of them with natural defensive abilities/builds (Ryze, Rumble, Morgana, and Vlad), a lot of these Champions could benefit from a Movement Speed + AP item or a item with some resists + decent ap. Rylais gives you pseudo movement speed, but nothing that will actually help in the way I'm looking for.

Sometimes you get a champion like Elise, Malz, Fiddles, and Brand that literally explode the moment they get near an opponent, or simply never catch up to their prey. It really makes the role feel stagnant when your only options are Rod of Ages, Rylais, Abyssal, and Hourglass as tanky AP items. Moreover, if you're getting abyssal for the MR and aura you might aswell get haunting guise, too. That then just drags you in an entirely different direction (you'll want hat to maximize the guise) and you can see the frustration. Having to build GA as your most cost efficient resists item and get no ap from it feels bad. Buying Banshees for the hp/mr and getting no ap feels just as bad when the enemy Darius has his FMallet and Force of Nature/etc. I feel as champion design opens up, you're left with an under-performing role that's mainly due to itemization.

I also understand some champions (Ryze, Morgana, Rumble, and Vlad again) might be too good with more items to choose from, but I don't think this should effect what could be otherwise good champions/picks like Brand/Elise/etc.

Either way, thanks for your time and I can't wait to see more about what's to come!
I can't agree with this enough. I play mainly tanky APs like Morgana and Ryze and the lack of items beyond Abyssal/Banshees or Zhonya's for resists or RoA for health drives me insane. If you get fed as an AP, you effectively get locked into a glass cannon-y build (get some AP, get deathcap, get MOAR AP MOAR MOAR MOAR!!!). I would love to see this changed.
Also, I play Ahri a lot, and I find that since she alternates between being an amazingly mobile assassin when her ult is up and a waste of poking power when it is down, a movespeed and AP item (or even movespeed and mana) like the Wooglet's Witchcap on TT would be an amazing both early game and late game on her and others. I hope that whatever comes will be great and hopefully include some of this stuff.

aqlegend

11-07-2012

what sort of items can we expect for tanks, supports, mages, or even some rare-er roles like hybrid, or tanky mage?