Preseason Itemization Preview

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Code03

11-07-2012

LEVITHIAN.... WHATTTTT? lol

Sotriuj

11-07-2012

My questions, hope you snipe them!

-What actions or changes are we going to see making initial items meaningful, giving some viable choice aside from boots + 3 pots. Are we seeing reworked dolan's items, just more interesting cheap alternatives, consumable sustain reworked (I have in mind how it works in Dota, where you can stop the regenerating effect by just hitting the enemy)?

-Will snowball items (Leviathan, Mejais, Sword of the Occult) see some changes on viability, or are you just going to leave those items at this state?

-What about item actives? I always felt like the item actives on League are lackluster compared to Dota's inmense posibilities, are we going to see some improvement on this area?

-Will the GP5 items remain at the same status? In general, what will happen for supports and their 0 cs itemization, will we see something as Soul Shroud more appealing?

kotabear4400

11-07-2012

I think a shop tab in the game lobby would be useful so you can check out all of the items without going into the game or having to go searching online. There is already the champions there and they have a place in the shop which will have all the same stuff.

Beaumains

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupkitchen101 View Post
It's very clear to me that Sword of the Occult, Leviathan, and Meja's are too high risk of items with VERY little reward to keep all game and take up an item slot. As much as it would seem from a design stand point that they probably aren't really the best for League, and should be removed in this coming sweep of changes, you guys have gone and added Bone Tooth Necklace which seems to contradict this .

Are there any plans for reworks, the addition of possible upgrades for these items, or just the plain removal of these items all together?
You have a point about the risk-reward factor, and Riot has commented about the passive play that can be encouraged by wanting to keep stacks (needing to keep them rather). One solution may be to put the 20 stack passives on at the beginning, or at a lower stack count (e.g. 10-15 stacks), thus making them worthwhile even without full stacks. Right now a stacked Mejai's feels required on champions like Vlad, and that can be rather hard to come by.

whippette

11-07-2012

-Please note that this is a JOKE. Do not take it seriously-

Hey guys,

Iím Xypherous, a Technical Designer here at Riot Games. Iíve been working a bit [only a bit?]
on the goals for itemization changes as we head into the preseason, focusing mostly on specialization, player self-expression[wait what]
and adding new gameplay patterns [Patterns never good. Cancer is a pattern]
in the game. We wanted to fix a lot of the existing problems that players have with items [Problems with items?! isn't atma removed? What other problem could there possibly be?]
and try to add more depth in terms of itemization. Let me go over the major goals we have for the preseason item changes:

Clean up / Reworks

We have some items that need a lot of love [are we talking about a dog here?]
and some items that simply donít have a place in the current framework [nice word to say they op as ****]
in the game.

We either made these items relevant for a specific purpose [more quicksilver slash!]
or removed them if they were too problematic to balance [You mean extremely op for no reason or you too lazy to solve it] .
Some super-niche or narrow-scope items have been remade to work on a greater variety of champions.[What the hell is this expression for?]

Specialization

There arenít enough items to allow each champion to really feel like they have their own unique build.[No **** there is 100 champions and 50 items]
We also want to add more items that allow you to specialize for the particular game that youíre in.[Isn't pretty much always "Are you vs AP or AD team]
Weíre adding items to give players in each role alternate primary builds that fill out their teams better. [ADC karma op]
If your carry needs to do more AoE damage, he has an option for that.[You mean the ****ty iona spark?]
If your primary AP caster needs additional CC capabilities, thereís an option for that, too.[Deathfire gasp is not a cc]

We want players to have a degree of specialization in terms of playstyle [I would like a phd in specialization please]
and to buy items that complement that playstyle rather than simply giving them the highest raw stats.[I would like 5 hourglass that stack so it implemants my suicidal playstyle]

Gold and Statistics Pass

Weíve done a complete gold and statistics pass on the entire item shop. Many statistics have been reevaluated to better reflect how much gold they are worth at a particular stage of the game.[Finally a count on philo stone?]
Premiums have been adjusted across many items to reflect how difficult they are to build or how niche they are, rather than their raw statistical strength.[Second time i see the word niche]
Items that grant early Resistances / Attack Damage / Attack Speed have all been reevaluated in terms of strength.[5 dorans blade not op anymore? boohoo]

Breadth and Depth

One of the most important things we tried to accomplish during the preseason was to ensure that your mid game items didnít pigeonhole you into certain choices later in the game.[That animal expression aka pigeonhole]
Weíve also endeavored to give mid-tier items more late game options so that you donít run into dead-ends as the game progresses.[The only dead-end you find is if you play karma adc..nvm, if you play karma..at all]
If you build Wardenís Mail in the mid game, you shouldnít feel compelled to buy Randuinís Omen every game..[who does?]
We wanted to make sure that at each stage of item progression gave you upgrade choices later on. [Notice here the S in choices, that means 2 choices. Probably not more]

We know that some of your favorite items might be affected by the coming update.[Warmog was my best friend, if you dare touch him...]
Iíll be discussing many specific examples in depth leading up to the patch. If youíd like more information on a specific change, reply to the thread and Iíll answer your question if I can.[Are you single]

KrŽambrÝx

11-07-2012

Season 3!! yeaaah

Endless Chambers

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFlameFox View Post
Are we going to see more items with passives, actives, on-hits, and auras? Will we see a greater variety of items to build on carries? Part of the balance problem with adcs is that they all build the same items. Youmuu's Ghostblade is a good item for carries with no escape like Varus but it's a little underpowered. And melee carries like Master Yi, Fiora, and Trynd are nonexistent, if there was a item for them that provided a small aura flat armor debuff so it couldn't be built on ranged ads that might help. Support champs are fine in lane but I remember watching a team fight during MLG where Taric dazzled someone then stood there looking good. If there was more active support items he might not have looked so useless.
This. I'm often FORCED to support when I prefer to play kill champs. Its not that I hate supporting and only want to be able to kill someone, its that I want to do something other than saving/aiding the carry when things are about to go down. At least give me something to spam: an item, or energy/resourceless champ.

proXc

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viro Melchior View Post
Hi, I'm Brand.
I bought an Evil Tome, and now have 40% CDR (runes, masteries, blue buff, elixir, take your pick).
I also bought this nifty new item that lets me do some CC effect on a 60 second cooldown.

Have an E. You're on fire! Q to the face. Stunned. Stun over? Item CC!. That expires? Oh look, Q is off cooldown again!
NOMNOMNOM
Both masteries and Summoner Spells, eg. CLEANSE, are being worked on. So I highly doubt that what you think is what'll happen.

m1lfr3d

11-07-2012

just a question...any chance of a price drop on the gunblade??

Alan Lyxion

11-07-2012

I'm excited for new items, but I have a feeling that AD casters/assassins are now going to be strong as heck.