Preseason Itemization Preview

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

krazerrr

11-08-2012

Hey Xypherous! I'm so excited for the new armor pen changes and the itemization changes, but I was wondering about a certain monkey in the league.

1. Will Wukong's ultimate also take into consideration the new black cleaver as well as armor pen (i'm not actually sure if armor pen applies to his ult currently)

2. Will Wukong's passive ever get changed. Currently, it has no presence in lane. You only notice it in team fights when there are 3 or 4 enemy champions around you.

Hopefully you can answer my questions. Wukong's my favorite champion in the league right now, and i think he really needs some love

Super Explosion

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Fysh View Post
Wow this makes me so happy.
I usually enjoy playing the unconventional champions that you rarely see anymore (teemo, sejuani, fizz etc) and I'm tired of my buddy telling me there is no point because in "higher elo" (I'm currently 1k elo) play they are all so easily countered that they have no place, and that's why the higher elo play focuses on a rather narrow list of champions as compared to lower elo play.

Hopefully these item changes will take care of that (at least to an extent.)
There's a gradient of champions as to who gives you more for your time and skill.

Balancing the champions is about evening that out, which they're trying to do here with some more item choices.

Hopefully it will work, since I'd like to play assassin champions without feeling that I have to work twice as hard for basically the same gameplay effect as another champion.

It's not just that they get countered, it also tends to be that they feel bad when you play the lower-gradient champions contrasted against the higher ones with a similar effect.

So for example, play Sejuani and Nautilus back to back in the jungle, and try to gauge just how much you can do to affect the game with each.

How much each rewards your skill.

Riot tries to get that metric even and balanced between champions across the majority of players at every elo.

Darklightning

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaare View Post
I don't think they'd implement this. These boots would make all other boots obsolete.
Hmm, well I appreciate you looking at my idea. Wanted support, but attention works too.

Why do you feel all other boots would become obsolete? Surely everyone wouldn't pick this up? In fact, I doubt most would. A DPS wouldn't typically get this as you have better selections. Maybe a support might.

Also, it doesn't need to be boots. I want to focus on the active. An ability to decrease mobility from spells and abilities for a period of time in a specific area. If the cooldown was high enough and the cost was high enough, it would inspire one purchase for the team. Probably a tank, or a few specific supports. (At least in high ranked games.)

I feel there aren't sufficient counters to high mobility champions. You have exhaust, but a flash sufficiently separates you from them to the point where it is almost resolved before they reach you.

Brain storm with me Astaare (and others)

Voyagin

11-08-2012

"1. Flat Armor Penetration and % Armor Penetration values are generally being lowered"

That's "kick me in the crotch, spit on my kneck" fantastic.

ROG Psyonix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2012

I take it the entire cleaver recipe is being reworked to brutalizer + longsword? am i correct or is there some other item that it brutalizer combines with?

Rkane

11-08-2012

Keep the price for the Brutalizer as 1337, otherwise 6v4 won't make sense

Labcown

11-08-2012

This is kinda off-topic from the whole BC discussion going on (My first impression of it, however, is very positive!), but with the new "proposed" Miracle, stats have dropped off from it's build up item.

It seems to me like there was an unspoken (Maybe spoken/posted) rule about items that build from other items MUST keep their original stats and then build onto them. This seemed to be very narrowing in how you can approach item design, because you can't design good items with unique actives if that nagging "stat balance" was in the way making Item X overpowered if it had the stats from it's components AND active/passive ability.

Will Season 3's items be seeing this rule revoked in favor of more unique items with more active/passive abilites?

Oh, and on top of that, will there be more items with unique interaction, such as auras and actives?

Skullfaction

11-08-2012

Quote:
For example: Let’s say I have 50% Armor Penetration and 20 Flat Armor Penetration versus a target with 120 Armor.

Currently, on Live, I would ignore 20 of his armor via Flat Penetration (100) and then 50% of the remainder, leaving him with 50 Armor.

After this change, I would ignore 50% of his armor (60) and then 20 of the remainder, leaving him with 40 armor.
everyone should take note that the differences between the two calculations is always your flat armor penetration times your %armor penetration.

MrEnglish22

11-08-2012

As excited as I am about new items (new items > new champs 100% of the time), I'm worried that this will make tanks much, much weaker.

Though, I'm only basing this off one change that is coming. Can't wait for more info!

Astaare

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklightning View Post
Hmm, well I appreciate you looking at my idea. Wanted support, but attention works too.

Why do you feel all other boots would become obsolete? Surely everyone wouldn't pick this up? In fact, I doubt most would. A DPS wouldn't typically get this as you have better selections. Maybe a support might.

Also, it doesn't need to be boots. I want to focus on the active. An ability to decrease mobility from spells and abilities for a period of time in a specific area. If the cooldown was high enough and the cost was high enough, it would inspire one purchase for the team. Probably a tank, or a few specific supports. (At least in high ranked games.)

I feel there aren't sufficient counters to high mobility champions. You have exhaust, but a flash sufficiently separates you from them to the point where it is almost resolved before they reach you.

Brain storm with me Astaare (and others)
Heh, actually I think I misread your original post. When you said
Quote:
it would either disable or remove the effect of flash, ghost, and abilities that allowed someone to move faster than their movement speed
I thought for some reason that you meant their base move speed. I had a mental image of an active that reduced you to base movespeed and prevented you from flashing, lol. I see now that that wasn't what you meant.

As for your actual idea... I like it. J4 players would probably love it (no more flashing out of his ult).

Problems I see with it: Well, the price of this item would probably be fairly high relative to the other stats it provides, since that active is so powerful. The cooldown would have to be pretty high, or the duration very short, since otherwise it would feel like a single item just made the ghost/flash/shurelia's/etc that I've got feel like a complete waste (it'd feel pretty bad if your lane opponent could prevent you from flashing away during every single gank). Basically what you already said. This active probably would need to be on an item other than boots, so you'd have to give up a slot for it (think about it like Quicksilver Sash: powerful active, simple recipe, not a ton of stats).