Preseason Itemization Preview

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

XxSaggyballsxX

11-07-2012

know theres hundreds of pages on here, but if you could respond thatd be great. will the passive on items like the cleaver's be applied on magic and physical moves? for example, ezreals ult?

Vicious Badger

11-07-2012

Quote:
The Black Cleaver•+45 Attack Damage
•+10% Cooldown Reduction
•+10 Armor Penetration
•Passive: Dealing physical damage to an enemy reduces their Armor by 5% for 6 seconds. This effect stacks up to 5 times on the same target.
Hate it :I liked the old one better

Desmond Law

11-07-2012

This is not exactly on what you're talking about, but can we get Personal Rec Item Pages? You guys have a lot of posts telling us how to do it manually via folder editing, but it's really confusing and has to be updated every patch.

Goliath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2012

Stark's Fervor anyone?

Thunderfrog

11-07-2012

I like this on Kogmaw. Keep peppering with your ult then close in and murder with W and AA's.

Mid Ahri

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
Gold and Statistics Pass

We’ve done a complete gold and statistics pass on the entire item shop. Many statistics have been reevaluated to better reflect how much gold they are worth at a particular stage of the game. Premiums have been adjusted across many items to reflect how difficult they are to build or how niche they are, rather than their raw statistical strength. Items that grant early Resistances / Attack Damage / Attack Speed have all been reevaluated in terms of strength.

Breadth and Depth

One of the most important things we tried to accomplish during the preseason was to ensure that your mid game items didn’t pigeonhole you into certain choices later in the game. We’ve also endeavored to give mid-tier items more late game options so that you don’t run into dead-ends as the game progresses. If you build Warden’s Mail in the mid game, you shouldn’t feel compelled to buy Randuin’s Omen every game. We wanted to make sure that at each stage of item progression gave you upgrade choices later on.

We know that some of your favorite items might be affected by the coming update. I’ll be discussing many specific examples in depth leading up to the patch. If you’d like more information on a specific change, reply to the thread and I’ll answer your question if I can.
I have a couple questions about this, won't this as a whole make early and mid game a lot more passive? Especially with the jungle being changed so that junglers aren't ganking 24/7?

Quote:
Since lots of you were interested in diving immediately into some specific details, I've decided to bump up the first item preview post. This is posted later in the thread as well, but I thought I'd edit the OP for visibility:

Today I’m going to talk about Armor Penetration and its effects on the scaling of our Attack Damage Casters class.

Let’s take a look at one of the core items for this class – The Brutalizer:

The Brutalizer has long been the trifecta of Attack Damage, Armor Penetration and Cooldown Reduction that these characters lean on for early game dominance. However, Flat Armor Penetration as a statistic overall has been pretty overpowered in compensation for the fact that items with the stat don’t typically scale at all into the late game. This turns these characters into early-game gambit characters, out to dominate the early game as quickly as possible before they become irrelevant.

To adjust for this, we’re making two major changes:

1. Flat Armor Penetration and % Armor Penetration values are generally being lowered, but now Flat Penetration is calculated AFTER % Penetration

2. Brutalizer builds into more than one thing

Quote:
The Black Cleaver
  • +45 Attack Damage
  • +10% Cooldown Reduction
  • +10 Armor Penetration
  • Passive: Dealing physical damage to an enemy reduces their Armor by 5% for 6 seconds. This effect stacks up to 5 times on the same target.
Wouldn't this be too strong on some champions? Like Rengar or Renekton? Especially if the point I brought up earlier is true, eliminate early/mid game for all but a few champions?

Quote:
What about Last Whisper? How does this work with Last Whisper?

Last Whisper grants you % Armor Penetration while Black Cleaver reduces the opponent’s armor.

Let’s look at an enemy with 400 Armor. Black Cleaver will reduce their armor by 25%, leaving them with 300. Last Whisper will allow you to ignore 40% of the remaining 300 armor, which means their effective armor against you will now be 180.
You forgot about the 10 armor pen, putting them at 170 =P

Quote:
Last Thoughts

We hope that this change helps create a smoother scaling curve for many of our AD casters without causing them to utterly dominate and kill everyone. While these changes allow them to ignore armor much more effectively, the characters in question will be making heavy tradeoffs by simply not dealing as much raw damage as they could have with a B.F. Sword build against soft targets. Additionally, these iterations of The Brutalizer and The Black Cleaver allow our more spell-focused ranged carries like Corki or Graves to have a viable alternative to Last Whisper that will give them great utility if they find themselves on a team with lot of physical damage characters.

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for more!

-Xypherous
My tier list of items is this -
Tier 1 item: Can buy with 475 gold or less (doran's items, faerie charm, etc.)
Tier 2 item: Costs between 476 and 2000 (pickaxe, giant's belt, phage, etc.)
Tier 3 item: Costs more than 2000 (abyssal scepter, infinite edge, frozen heart, etc.)

My question is about more late game items, some games tend to get to a point where people have full builds and nothing to do with all the gold they're earning, thus resulting in a stand off and whoever wins next team fight auto-wins. Are you going to implement any "Tier 4" items to maybe turn the tide of battle at such a late game point if it's at said stand still?

exe3

11-07-2012

How does Black Cleaver interact with Blade of the Ruined King's active which does physical damage? Does the shred still count even though the physical damage is coming from an items active?

LightEcho

11-07-2012

More than a bit sad about the loss of black cleaver. Rest in peace cleaver plank.
This new item is cool but the once you start comparing it with LW you realize its as almost as niche as old black cleaver.
Why exactly did cleaver have to be remade? It was niche but as far as i understand niche is fine as long as its not useless.

LordKin16

11-07-2012

I will now be building the Black Cleaver for Wukong.
DAT MUDACLUCKIN ULTI!!!!
(WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!)

KAISER OV SVAUG

Recruiter

11-07-2012

I'm not gonna lie, I seriously love you guys at riot, you always explain the reasons behind every decision to us and actually talk to your player base. Also i love your jump to riot post function on the forums, so useful. Keep doing what you guys do, can't wait to see the new changes implemented, they seem very intriguing