Suggestion for Riot - Champion Rentals

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DreamsOfGrandeur

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurvel View Post
New suggestion. Allow players to vote on a free champion or champions (only 1-2) for coming weeks?
All Teemo, all the time.

(You all probably don't want to admit it, but Teemo is very popular.)

Harvester

11-10-2012

I do kind of wish the champion rotation either included more champions per week or lowered how often some champions repeat...Amumu has been free quite often despite being a relatively cheap champion.
He is free this week and he was also free 4 weeks, 7 weeks, and 12 weeks ago. And then there is Alistar who is free ever 5 or so weeks.

Champion rentals= Bad
Changes to the Champion Rotation= VERY Good

MasterEvilAce

11-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotKiddington View Post
We actually implemented this feature once few years ago, and the reception was overwhelmingly negative, so we turned it off, and never touched it again..
Sometimes people don't know what they want.

I think the champion free week is fine... however, it could use some tweaks. Some champions are just way too common (Caitlyn), which causes others to show up very rarely. Biggest example is Karma. She's supposedly not viable for whatever reason, but people who play her tend to do well. When I'm with one, or against one, I'm not even sure what she's capable of, because I can't try her myself. Spending RP/IP on a champion that I won't care for is asking a lot. I know she's getting a rework, but it's not here yet, so to me, that's irrelevant.

I'm also interested in trying out Fizz, Akali, and Draven... I'm not sure the last time any of those were free to play, I may have missed them.. but they are rare picks indeed.

NinetyNineTails

11-10-2012

I'd like champion rentals, but not for 'real' money (i.e. IP). Maybe get a three day champion rental for three every month? You can have two in reserve.

Though that might actually seriously affect Riot's bottom line, since everybody will rent new champions before buying, instead of just buying all of them. (I'm not unsympathetic to Riot on this; gotta keep the lights on somehow)

exe3

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-10-2012

I like that in Smite you can try every champion in a custom game. *shrugs*

AwkwardSilence

11-11-2012

whether or not rentals are a good idea, I think the op does make a good point that with the influx of champions makes it more difficult to test a champion your keen of. Not to mention that champs as a whole are getting more intricate and difficult to play. So easier champs like ashe will always be in rotation for new players.

FraggingBard

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jortalus View Post
Rental content in general gets a hugely negative response. Just look at the uproar surrounding the temporary ward skins.
That's not quite the same. It's wards being only rentals that seems to be the sticking point. If you could rent for 10IP a week or buy for 500IP, there would be a lot of people with really cool ward skins. But seeing as how you can't switch between ward skins, and how they're only rentals, at the moment it's just IP/RP down the drain. Especially since they're available for 52 weeks, having to buy them once a year is kinda lame and smacks of accountant meddling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeviper View Post
i understand why people would want this, but isn't that exactly what the free rotation is for
Theoretically yes, but Riot favours certain champions. Chances are, you're going to find Ashe or Cait in that free week. Doesn't matter what week it is, there will be Ashe or Cait. Or both. Champions like Talon, Lulu, Nautilus, they're not available nearly as often. New champions won't be in there as often either, they'll be in the rotation directly after they're released, then might not show up for another six months.

Trusting in the Free Week to get you unlocked access to the champion you want is a lesson in patience.