Institute Grand Library. [Open RP].

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Esenine

11-26-2012

Esen tried to make himself as inconspicuous as possible as he made his way to the children's section.Looking over his shoulder to reassure himself that no one was watching, he then took 5 books meant for children.He darted straight to the borrowing counter, hoping beyond hope that the librarian would not judge him in the process of borrowing the books.He comforted himself with the thought that, once it was over, he would never take up a request from his yordle brother ever again.

Ever.

((My first time Rping, i am sorry if i sound a little dry or excessive, constructive criticism is welcome.))

Colonel qt

11-26-2012

((better then me ;-; ))

Goau

11-28-2013

The Grand Library of the Institution of War. Upon its seemingly endless isles are rows upon rows of books, tomes, scrolls, and other relics of the past, each stored, archived, tested, and, in an increasingly likely occurrence, used by the summoners and the Champions of the League of Legends.

Among its countless written works are small, tent-like encloses. In fact, they are tents. Some summoners prefer to live where they work. In this case, one summoner, a scribe really, had made his home in a small area of the library, complete with two additional rooms for sleeping and bathing and laundry. As small and cramped as it was, the scribe liked his living arrangement.

One day, he received very surprising news.

Two messengers stepped toward the sleeping scribe, his head on his folded arms. "Summoner Goau, you have been promoted to the rank of curator of this wing. Congratulations!" The first messenger said cheerfully.

I look up sleepily and smile lazily. "Oh... That's nice." I say, and then lay my head back down on my arms on my desk, slowly returning to sleep.

I feel something shaking my shoulder, so I look up with tired eyes. "Sir... Do you understand what this means?" The first messenger asked.

I raise my head and my right hand to my mouth to cover a yawn. When I finish, I nod as I rub the sleep from my eyes with my right hand. Hiding my confusion with a smile.

The other messenger tapped his partner on the shoulder. "I told you he'd be so happy he wouldn't know what to say. Now, let's get going." He said, and then the two of them started away.

I yawn again, my mouth opening wide as I arch by back and stretch my arms, and then fold my arms over one another and lay back down on my desk.

A few minutes later, I jolt up and awake!

"Wait! I'm a curator now!"

------

The Arcane Wing of the Grand Library is home to many books, tomes, scrolls, and even items of magic. Within this wing, scribes are taught to use a self-cast spell that enables them to perfectly copy other books in any language they know. They are bound by oath to not reveal how this is done, but it does require the use of certain spells and training.

Among the books, some old and held together only with the aid of restoration magic and others as new as published last week, there are a number of powerful, though not dangerous, items of magic. These include wards, lens, orbs, pens, papers, journals, and other items that were never meant for combat, but for the use, preservation, improvement, and innovation of knowledge; as well as its recording.

While this wing is far from combat, it is protected. Sentry wards, wards linked to patrolling golems that utilize the Fields of Justice's turret lasers, watch every isle with their unblinking gazes. Another security measure is the rental system; should a rented book be taken and not returned, it will be teleported back to the library and into the 'Returned' tray.

Any attempt of copying one of the books will result in the activation of Ignition, an improved but in testing stage of Ignite; however combustion would be a better name for it. The spell activates from the process of copying the book, rather than the original book itself. Such a violent and sudden burst of fire can burn up the original book, the copy, and possibly the one who tried.

If the original book survives, its teleport spell will place it in a tray marked 'Confiscated'. When this is noticed, a team of firefighters are to be informed and attempt to put out the fire, and law-enforcers are to arrest any who checked out the books.

Recently, Goau, a summoner and scribe, was promoted to the rank of curator of this wing. As such, he has a number of responsibilities and privileges others of his wing do not. He can move the sentry wards, set the golems' patrols, blacklist people from entering or checking out some to all of the books, and more.

However, he is also a summoner and thus a mage, and enjoys experimenting with his spells and items he has either bought or been given. One such item is his Journal of Justice, which has been in many tribunal cases to reveal whether or not what was said was a lie and watch the true scenes play out.

Because of this recent promotion, he is unsure of how to do his job, as before he was only a scribe and librarian, but now he is tasked with overseeing all of the workings of the wing he use to work in and now leads.

To make the task easier to transition into, he has decided to clear the wing's blacklist, but increased the number of sentry wards and golems. In addition to this, he has purchased and made it so there is more available sitting room. Another addition is a monthly event, secret until revealed.

((I am going to try and revive this thread, see if this is valid for the RP forums, and/or if this should be moved to a new thread. ... Not sure what else to say... Happy Thanksgiving everyone!))

RayOfLight17

11-28-2013

((No joke, I've been thinking about setting up a thread for the library for weeks now. A new thread would probably be better, though.))

Goau

11-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayOfLight17 View Post
((No joke, I've been thinking about setting up a thread for the library for weeks now. A new thread would probably be better, though.))
((Asked the same thing in the List of Places thread, and they said there was already a library thread that had died.))

RayOfLight17

11-28-2013

((Well, this looks like the perfect place for my character to be.))

Summoner Jim Bookman entered the Arcane wing of the Library, bringing along multiple papers, books, and writing utensils. Strapped to his back was a sheathed sword,which was the subject of the day's research. As he did almost every day, Jim sat at a table far secluded from the rest of the general traffic, placing the stack upon the table along with the sword. Opening one of the books, Jim began to complete mathematics that would be involved in the future enchantment.

Goau

11-28-2013

((Seems as good a place as any. By the way, Goau is wearing a tan-brown robe with the Institution's crest on it. I'll make the edit on my profile page tomorrow.))

Making his daily rounds, well in this case new daily rounds, Goau made sure the sentry wards were working properly and that their connected golems were functional. With this being his first day as curator, it was a slow process, which was to be expected. If not for his earlier training two years ago, he wouldn't even know how to make sure the connection between the two worked.

At least he would go through further training over the weekend when a replacement for him showed up. If only the former curator hadn't disappeared so suddenly.

As he made his final checks, he noticed someone, another summoner by the look of his robes, with a sword. It did not look like one of the items from the library, but it was certainly not a part of his wing. Judging by the way the other summoner was seated by himself, Goau guessed he was doing personal research of some kind, so he continued with his task; climbing up on a rolling ladder to check on the ward hidden there.

RayOfLight17

11-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goau View Post
((Seems as good a place as any. By the way, Goau is wearing a tan-brown robe with the Institution's crest on it. I'll make the edit on my profile page tomorrow.))

Making his daily rounds, well in this case new daily rounds, Goau made sure the sentry wards were working properly and that their connected golems were functional. With this being his first day as curator, it was a slow process, which was to be expected. If not for his earlier training two years ago, he wouldn't even know how to make sure the connection between the two worked.

At least he would go through further training over the weekend when a replacement for him showed up. If only the former curator hadn't disappeared so suddenly.

As he made his final checks, he noticed someone, another summoner by the look of his robes, with a sword. It did not look like one of the items from the library, but it was certainly not a part of his wing. Judging by the way the other summoner was seated by himself, Goau guessed he was doing personal research of some kind, so he continued with his task; climbing up on a rolling ladder to check on the ward hidden there.
Jim continued working through his research, finding a mana gate in the spell that wasn't being used to full efficiency. He noticed the entrance of a tan-clad summoner, but paid little attention to him. Seeing his movements, he could tell that he was going to check the wards on the nearby bookshelves. Still looking through his research notes, Jim called out, "If you're checking the ward, it's broken, along with all the others in this section. Been that way for the past six months."

Goau

11-28-2013

Goau paused from reaching for the ward, his left hand gripping the top of the shelf for balance and his right out stretched toward the ward. "Really? This one too?" He asked, calling back down as he took hold of the ward.

The scribe examined the ward, testing it with a spell, before letting out a sigh and climbing down, ward in hand. He then sat down on one of the lower rims and began the task of repairing it. "Do you work in one of the other wings? If so, can I ask which one?" He asked.

As to the wards, he had noticed that nearly all of them either did not cast their full vision, were not connected to a golem, or had simply ceased working due to an overload. This one in particular seemed only to have had its connection severed. Aside from the wards, the golems were also outdated and low on energy. He'd be lucky if they continued functioning through the day, and blessed if they were still working to the beginning of the weekend.

RayOfLight17

11-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goau View Post
Goau paused from reaching for the ward, his left hand gripping the top of the shelf for balance and his right out stretched toward the ward. "Really? This one too?" He asked, calling back down as he took hold of the ward.

The scribe examined the ward, testing it with a spell, before letting out a sigh and climbing down, ward in hand. He then sat down on one of the lower rims and began the task of repairing it. "Do you work in one of the other wings? If so, can I ask which one?" He asked.

As to the wards, he had noticed that nearly all of them either did not cast their full vision, were not connected to a golem, or had simply ceased working due to an overload. This one in particular seemed only to have had its connection severed. Aside from the wards, the golems were also outdated and low on energy. He'd be lucky if they continued functioning through the day, and blessed if they were still working to the beginning of the weekend.
"I'd be very surprised if there are any that still work like they should." Jim looked up from his work to continue the conversation, "No, I don't work in here, although I've thought about it a few times. I simply spend time here. A lot of time. And it's a good thing those wards don't work, otherwise some of the staff might get caught in a backfire if they came to look." If Goau was to look at the flooring, he would notice scorches and water damage in the carpeting.