A Guide to Self Preservation (WIP)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ryzeonline

11-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM90 View Post
It's fine. I just keep a list of all of my thread links on my desktop and bump them when I get home. :P
They say that bumping without adding anything isn't being constructive, but I am pretty certain that getting more exposure on how to keep yourself alive is.
I totally agree, there some threads that deserve to be sticky'd or... "put in front of more eyes", and it is a shame and a tragedy when these go unsung and undiscovered.

Good for you for aiming to help people out, I hope more learn how to stay alive.

KTM90

11-13-2012

Informing others of the Summoner's Code in this thread.

KTM90

11-15-2012

I'm back, and the server is set to Busy? Unfortunate. I usually get my first win of the day when I come home at night.

Oyxl

11-16-2012

I tell my friends the same thing as you explain OP. 'm currently in the process of perfecting the skill called "survival". I'm mostly doing this on Jayce and Lulu, since they have the poke to stay out of firing range (most of the time) and my tanky supports/junglers go in with the intention to cause panic and death, so the risk increases.

I'm ending most of my winning matches with LULU with 1 death. I tell my teammates to take it slow and not give away kills early, in the context that if you survive, your opponents will get impatient and start offering you their lifes. I often face ADC or any Carry that wants to go in and start a brawl, inevitibly dying. They're not built to survive and they don't have the mental capacity to think of surviving as a primary objective.

We had a Tryndamere last time. He went in solo, versus 5, made one kill and died. When I asked him not to do this, he told me he was the one carrying this game, because, look at my(trynd) kills. I told him to look at his kill/death ratio and that a 1v1 exchange is only worth it if you get a shutdown.

In my experience, you either have the power to dominate early lane, or you do not.When you recognize that you do not, your aim should be survival.Farm, farm farm. If you can't farm due to being forced to your tower, make sure your support gets the last hits instead. In fact, I've often had to solo bottom lane about 50% of the time, due to the constant up and down teleporting of my carries (low hp).

I'm not level 30 yet, but I'm absolutely certain that the key to victory is either in100% early lane dominance, or in not giving away kills to your opponents and duking it out in the teamfights. And wards, of course.

ryzeonline

11-16-2012

Well said, Oyxl

KTM90

11-17-2012

Lately I've been working on my ADC skills with Graves. He's my favorite character (from outside of an ability standpoint). "Don't die yet, that was just a warning shot... heh..." =P
It seems like stacking two Doran's Blades and then getting a Frozen Mallet works pretty nicely. It effectively increases your damage because the slow will allow you to get more hits in while they are running away. I'm looking at Black Cleaver vs Last Whisper though. Early on the Cleaver will probably ignore the most armor, and it probably always will for those with less than 100 armor. I mean 40% of 100 is 40 and 3x15 is 45. Of course that does mean I am less effective against characters with more defenses, but the Cleaver will allow me to pop more hits because of the attack speed bonus. I kind of skipped over getting Infinity Edge though which seems like a good choice. The actual load out I was using so far was: Boots->HPx2/MPx1->Doran's Blade->Berserker Boots->Doran's Blade->Giant's Belt->Frozen Mallet->BF Sword->The Black Cleaver->Brutalizer->Avarice Blade->Youmuu's Ghostblade->Zeal (I was working on getting Phantom Dancer if I recall correctly). I suppose after those items I could have gotten the Infinity Edge, but considering that I didn't have a defensive item right then perhaps Aegis of the Legion would have been a good pick (even more health, and defensive stats in both areas as well as an aura that I can share). My original thought was to get a Blood Thirster for more damage and sustain though I believe. My score was 19/1/17 and my longest spree was 14.

KTM90

11-17-2012

Please read that wall of text and educate yourself.
You'll make everyone on your team happier when you don't die.

Pawstruck

11-17-2012

This guide is really kind of hyperbolic. THE most important thing you can do is work with your team. Also, CSing is more important than simply not dying. Did you know CSing *one minion wave* gives you more gold than a non-shutdown champion kill?

The more you know.

KTM90

11-18-2012

I find that hyperbole can get a point across easier sometimes.
[Shrugs]
That's a good point though about farming.
I don't think I have much mention of it.

ryzeonline

11-19-2012

Dude, so much of what you share here is *uncommon*, *misunderstood*, and all around helpful -- don't take it bad if anyone hates on your awesome guide