Barrier destroys gameplay, here's why.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Strong Like Bear

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Correct, numbers are being changed for SR. You could say the same thing about Heal, and it doesn't destroy the game.
I have two very, very important questions. (And one statement)

1) - Is it going to be affect by ignite? If not, is the value going to be lower than heal since there is no counterplay to using barrier in full-on engagements.

2) - Assassins are already punished heavily - if this spell becomes popular, assassins are going to have an already harder time bursting the already hard-to-kill squishy characters that currently build at least one defensive item or have high mobility and escapes (See - 90% of AD carries; Any AP carry that builds Negatron, Zhonyas, or has a flash-type ability).

Not really a question, but a statement.

3) What is the logic behind implementing barrier in Summoner's Rift? As in, was there a specific reason the developers felt Barrier needed to be introduced or was it simply for the sake of change?

HeyLPG

11-06-2012

Quote:
Correct, numbers are being changed for SR. You could say the same thing about Heal, and it doesn't destroy the game.
Says the man whos personal quest has been to mitigate all sustain.

AlphariusRising

11-06-2012

Quote:
What does it add to the game that heal doesn't?

jzstyles

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2012

Quote:
And a longer cooldown please? On murderbridge that thing is up constantly.

messymike

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paprikachu View Post
Hello GD.

I'm pretty sure everyone reading this has at least tried ARAM once. Almost everyone takes either Barrier, Heal, or both. This destroys gameplay, and here's why:

1) Barrier can only be used defensively. You only use this spell, when it's already too late. It has no other use than saving your ass.
2) It punishes good play. Imagine someone trying to kill you with a flash+ignite or some spell. You use Barrier to escape. That guy has two spells on cooldown and no escape for a long time, for nothing.
3) It rewards bad play. Wrong positioning? Just use Barrier to get out for free.
4) It is crazy OP. It's basically +25% HP for free.
5) Unlike Heal, it can't be negated.
6) Its strengh is even more multiplied with the amount of armor and magic resist a player has.
1) Whats wrong with a defensive spell? Right now Heal is the same exact thing. The other spells "save your ass" by killing the enemy faster or reducing their damage.
2) It punishes overly aggressive play, not good play. If you get baited into blowing all your cooldowns on someone with barrier under a turret, guess who the noob is...
3) Rewards bad play? I honestly think you meant to put this under the flash section. Barrier lets you stay in the fight, flash gets you out of it.
4) Its crazy OP even though we haven't seen if they are adjusting its values yet.... lol K
5) Heal cannot be negated, it can only be reduced.
6) This is probably true, as with any shield. Whats wrong with tanks being able to have a tankier shield than an assassin? 1 extra right click from an ADC? Especially with the armor pen changes next season, this will not be a problem. Also, the same exact thing happens with heal.

Enoby Darkness

11-06-2012

It's not even broken. It's just INCREDIBLY frustrating, in a similar vein to Heal. However, it IS getting its numbers tweaked.

Cha0sniper

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphariusRising View Post
What does it add to the game that heal doesn't?
It's temporary health and heal isn't, so there's more counterplay.

Mynt

11-06-2012

Cleanse counters Ignite.

And Exhaust, and grants bonus tenacity for 3 seconds as well.

McDracos

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by octavian1127 View Post
By the main theory i'm seeing as to why Barrier is bad for gameplay, isn't Ignite also bad for gameplay? It has no counterplay, it can only be used offensively, it can't be mitigated, etc....
Cleanse (for the damage part), QSS, and Alistar ult all get rid of ignite, and the first two are available to everyone.

UnseenSpecter

11-06-2012

I seriously hate how summoner spells are a lifeline instead of just a small addition to your kit. To me, summoner spells should just give you that small, extra bit of 'umph'. The little extra chase capability (ghost), a small gap closer (flash), a little extra damage to finish off a fleeing opponent (ignite), temporary CC/damage reduction to give you an edge in a fight (exhaust), a small bit of survivability to get out of tight situations (heal). And most of these summoner spells are counters for each other: Get exhausted? Flash away. Enemy ghosting away? Exhausted. Enemy about to pop heal to stay alive? Ignite. Then we have Barrier. It just gives an obnoxious amount of effective HP. Darius ult? Barrier. Ignited me when I have a sliver of HP left? Barrier. AP carry about to nuke me? Barrier. Now let's flip this around. Enemy pops barrier? Well... sucks. Barrier is annoying enough in Proving Grounds, don't bring it to Summoners' Rift. I'd be more happy if it was entirely removed from the game.