Barrier destroys gameplay, here's why.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Evolnemesis

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypWalk View Post
The problem I have with barrier is that it is too good against burst ad/ap carries. Riot wants to have assassin and bursty types be viable again. Popping a barrier during the ult of one of these champs will destroy their combo abilities that are supposed to kill quickly. If you survive the burst usually its pretty easy to survive. Personally I'd like to see burst characters return to play but this wont help their cause.
It is good against those champs I agree. But also remember that Morello said that one of the specific goals of the new items and masteries will be to make AD/AP burst champs a lot stronger and more viable than they are now, including getting rid of some stuff that currently makes it hard for them to get kills like strong early flat resistances. It probably is overpowered if you were put it in SR now against those champs, but it's really hard to judge the effect until we see the other changes coming with S3 for those champs as well.

chuckdeez59

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2012

I absolutely HATE barrier for all of these reasons. I love aram so much that I get over the fact barrier is a super op spell.

If i were to see it on SR....what a sad day. I REALLY hope riot doesn't go through with this. I know they've ignored aram and all of the problems that go along with it, but that should at least take into account problems like op summoner spells. aram has taught us that.

Celestya

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2012

I'm not entirely sure what plagued you guys to decide to even think about Barrier on SR. It makes a ton of executes just get hard countered (especially early game) and I can't imagine it having much longer of a CD than 200s. So essentially if you're Garen, you don't get to kill people for the first 11 levels of the game. That's really ****ing awful.

Princess AzŻla

11-08-2012

It is not uncommon to see 10 people all with flash/ignite and I'm sick of it.

All I see in this thread is QQ that there is finally a counter to flash/ignite and people are too scared to try taking other spells.

iKeychain

11-08-2012

To be honest, flash is just as bad. It's a free get-out-of-jail card.

IncendiarySpade

11-08-2012

I hate barrier on Murderbridge. It's essentially a 5 of with flash. It really needs to be nerfed on murderbridge. The skill should be a clutch save like cleanse or heal instead of a "hey look i got 5000 more hp for 32 minutes. I'd prefer the barrier lasting for 1 or 2 seconds providing a small-medium boost in hp, or even a huge boost of hp it doesnt matter if it only lasts 1 or 2 seconds, like a zhonyas summoner spell!

Fant√°

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snightx View Post
hmmm Darius with a Barrier? Guess now he has become even more OP... what else is new....? What about a Mundo with a Barrier.... or a Kat? OMG!!! GG T.T
or you can use barrier to counter darius ult

Muramasan

11-08-2012

I always thought "thank god this isn't on summoners rift" but now it is ugh.

GuteNacht

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xetios View Post
Shields are more problematic than a heal. You can negate a heal. Barrier is better than heal in every possible way.
I don't wholly agree with you. It's true that the cd is lower and that it can't be reduced by ignite type attacks, but it's a temporary shield. Heal gives you that health, and you keep it. Barrier gives you a shield, and you lose it after a few seconds, whether or not it's depleted.

Rottweiler12

11-08-2012

I commend riots efforts towards giving more options and variety to the game, and i also commend morello's elegance when it comes to answer the things people say (given that they come up with some silly arguments). Personally i think barrier would be good for summoners rift, and i also think that some people just wanna preserve their agressive play-style and the ability to easily kill other champs. Lemme quote what was said in the first post
"1) Barrier is almost always used defensively. You only use this spell, when it's already too late. It has no other use than saving your ass.
2) It punishes aggressive play. Imagine someone trying to kill you with a flash+ignite or some spell. You use Barrier to escape. That guy has two spells on cooldown and no escape for a long time, for nothing. This is made worse by the fact that its cooldown is much lower than flash's.
3) It rewards bad play. Wrong positioning? Just use Barrier to get out for free.
4) It is crazy OP. It's basically +25% HP for free.
5) Unlike Heal, there is no counter to it.
6) Its strengh is even more multiplied with the amount of armor and magic resist a player has."

my thoughts on this:

1) this adds to game variety and options for everyone, just because u dont like more defensive options doesnt mean no1 likes it, i would like it, and if riot plans on making it avaliable then they like it to

2) This spell, just like any other spell, will have a cooldown, its not like you are gonna be able to spam barrier nonstop. this means that IF YOU WANT TO FLASH + IGNITE then ur gonna have to make sure ur target doesnt have barrier or that its on cooldown, just like any agressive play, you gotta time it to make sure u can follow up and kill

3) How can this "reward" bad play? its nosense. if you've played the game you know that a barrier with, lets say 200-300 hp isnt gonna SAVE YOU FROM BAD POSITIONING, a carry hits for much more than 300 hp a hit, it can only HELP YOU scape, you speak as if this is a kayle's ult or tryndamere's ult

4) i dont think riot will make it 25% hp worth of shield, that statement is just ridiculous, it is nowhere near OP, and as ive said before, this shield will be AVALIABLE FOR EVERYONE, and it will have a cooldown. its not like an op champ that only 1 person can pick, it will be a BALANCED SPELL that ANYONE can get

5) There are counters, silencing a target prevents it from using SS, stun too, ignite also. in fact the barrier is very much like heal but only for urself and not for the whole team, hence why it should give you more hp than the heal

6) if ur worried because a tank will have some extra hp then ur just doing something wrong, and i dont think many tanks will take this spell anyways, why would a tank take this shield when theres flash or exhaust?