Barrier destroys gameplay, here's why.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Saikaici

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galgus View Post
I'll admit that I haven't played the ARAM map, but I think you are discounting the stick-in-the-fight risk-taking help it provides for aggressive play.
This is a point that should be kept in mind...

I definitely would like to see Barrier stuck in SR because it's an alternative, and people won't just take barrier + flash all the time. With an adjusted cooldown and maybe slightly less of a shield.

Mk5StrikerEureka

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paprikachu View Post
Hello GD.

I'm pretty sure everyone reading this has at least tried ARAM once. Almost everyone takes either Barrier, Heal, or both. This destroys gameplay, and here's why:

1) Barrier is almost always used defensively. You only use this spell, when it's already too late. It has no other use than saving your ass.
2) It punishes aggressive play. Imagine someone trying to kill you with a flash+ignite or some spell. You use Barrier to escape. That guy has two spells on cooldown and no escape for a long time, for nothing. This is made worse by the fact that its cooldown is much lower than flash's.
3) It rewards bad play. Wrong positioning? Just use Barrier to get out for free.
4) It is crazy OP. It's basically +25% HP for free.
5) Unlike Heal, there is no counter to it.
6) Its strengh is even more multiplied with the amount of armor and magic resist a player has.

Flash does not suffer from any of these problems. It does not give you stats, it can be used offensively and it only buys you a small amount of time, you can still be outrun by champs with higher movement speed.

tl;dr: Remove Barrier, or nerf it at least. It makes the game boring and extremely frustrating.

Edit: Clarified my arguments a bit.
I dont know if this is a troll thread but Flash is the biggest problem, Flash is a true promoter of rewarding bad plays. It rewards aggressive game play due to the fact that if you fail to kill your target or find yourself out of position you can get away over a wall or tree. So how is this fair for those that are actually skilled?

Stop Crying, shield is only in Aram while flash is in all the modes.

Gath Immortal

11-08-2012

Quote:
Unlike Barrier, Flash can be used offensively. Things like Flash + auto attack or Flash + some spell, be it a summoner or champion spell.
Disagree, barrier CAN be used to supplement your offense if you are turret diving a low health enemy or close to death yourself but still in the fight.

H0p0nP0p

11-08-2012

how can barrier not offensive? ex, garen walks in, spinstowin, barrier! barrier is FINE! reason barrier is used in PG is due to the fact that u r always towerdiving without the abilities to HEAL at base.

everything u described is FLASH. "get out of jail free" except barrier doesnt give u abilities to go through things. AND heal HEALS EVERYONE AROUND U FOR HALF HP.

no counter? IGNITE goes rite passed barrier, TRUE DAMAGE GOES THROUGH BARRIER.

ENUF SAID.

That Ezreal

11-08-2012

Barrier on SR would be just horrible

Kidrik

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2012

Quote:
Hello GD.

I'm pretty sure everyone reading this has at least tried ARAM once. Almost everyone takes either Barrier, Heal, or both. This destroys gameplay, and here's why:

1) Barrier is almost always used defensively. You only use this spell, when it's already too late. It has no other use than saving your ass.
2) It punishes aggressive play. Imagine someone trying to kill you with a flash+ignite or some spell. You use Barrier to escape. That guy has two spells on cooldown and no escape for a long time, for nothing. This is made worse by the fact that its cooldown is much lower than flash's.
3) It rewards bad play. Wrong positioning? Just use Barrier to get out for free.
6) Its strengh is even more multiplied with the amount of armor and magic resist a player has.

Flash does not suffer from any of these problems. It does not give you stats, it can be used offensively and it only buys you a small amount of time, you can still be outrun by champs with higher movement speed.

tl;dr: Remove Barrier, or nerf it at least. It makes the game boring and extremely frustrating.

This is absurd.
1) I use Barrier offensively on an initiator all the time in ARAM.
2) If people are flash diving you, you can flash out. It's almost like they just used two summoners for your one and now have no escape for a while.
3) Wrong positioning? Just use Flash/ghost to get out for free! What the hell roit pls
4) Flash is crazy op, get over walls from pursuers and gapclose, exhaust reduce enemy ad by 70%, cleans making my cc worthless op op op op
5) Unlike heal my barrier is temporary and I cannot shield my whole team
6) the amount of healing from heal is just like other health in that it acts like health. OP.

I mean really? You're some ARAM pro and you've never popped barrier before initiating a tower dive on Mundo or Shyvanna or someone?

Evolnemesis

11-08-2012

Quote:
Hello GD.

I'm pretty sure everyone reading this has at least tried SR once. Almost everyone takes either Flash, Ignite, or both. This destroys gameplay, and here's why:

1) Ignite is almost always used offensively. You only use this spell, when you don't have enough damage to kill someone with your regular abilities. It has no other use than stopping people from saving their own asses.
2) It punishes good play. Imagine someone trying to kill you with their abilities. You are not out of position at all yet this lets them get around your team or kill you despite your own movement or cc abilities which were designed to be able to save you if used properly. This is also not fair for someone trying to attack the more mobile champs who managed to take advantage of their bad positioning or blown cooldowns and made worse by the fact that flash adds an unnecessary movement ability to already very mobile champs with strong escapes/initations whose cooldown is much shorter than Flash.
3) It rewards bad play. Wrong positioning? Just use Flash to get out for free.
4) Ignite is crazy OP. It's basically -25% HP for free and counters Heal AND Barrier.
5) Except for Flash, there is no counter to it.
6) Its strength is even more multiplied with the amount of mobility a player has.

Barrier does not suffer from any of these problems. It does not give you a get out jail free card, it can be used defensively but it only buys you a small amount of time, you can still be outrun by champs with higher movement speed.

tl;dr: Remove Flash, or nerf it at least. It makes the game boring and extremely frustrating.

Alahiria

11-08-2012

yeah people are going to start choosing flash/barrier and adc's everywhere are going to be screwed

CrypWalk

11-08-2012

The problem I have with barrier is that it is too good against burst ad/ap carries. Riot wants to have assassin and bursty types be viable again. Popping a barrier during the ult of one of these champs will destroy their combo abilities that are supposed to kill quickly. If you survive the burst usually its pretty easy to survive. Personally I'd like to see burst characters return to play but this wont help their cause.

CrypWalk

11-08-2012

Awkward double post.