Barrier destroys gameplay, here's why.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mark Akitaki

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paprikachu View Post
Hello GD.

I'm pretty sure everyone reading this has at least tried ARAM once. Almost everyone takes either Barrier, Heal, or both. This destroys gameplay, and here's why:

1) Barrier is almost always used defensively. You only use this spell, when it's already too late. It has no other use than saving your ass.
2) It punishes aggressive play. Imagine someone trying to kill you with a flash+ignite or some spell. You use Barrier to escape. That guy has two spells on cooldown and no escape for a long time, for nothing. This is made worse by the fact that its cooldown is much lower than flash's.
3) It rewards bad play. Wrong positioning? Just use Barrier to get out for free.
4) It is crazy OP. It's basically +25% HP for free.
5) Unlike Heal, there is no counter to it.
6) Its strengh is even more multiplied with the amount of armor and magic resist a player has.

Flash does not suffer from any of these problems. It does not give you stats, it can be used offensively and it only buys you a small amount of time, you can still be outrun by champs with higher movement speed.

tl;dr: Remove Barrier, or nerf it at least. It makes the game boring and extremely frustrating.

Edit: Clarified my arguments a bit.
i can see where you are coming from, but think of it this way. the object of the game is not to get kills, people over commit burning all their spells to get a kill, i feel like that can also be bad game play. if you burst someone and they get away with 100 health and pop barrier so that you can't kill them, thats fine. are they going to stay in lane? no, so u push to the tower, they lose cs and experience, which puts u ahead anyways. and since they brought barrier, they can't be too aggressive, they dont have any aggression with their summoner spells. now that they are behind they can't even get a easy kill with ignite, it makes a weak lane even weaker. and forces them to play passive and get harrassed. it can work in your favor, but not always. it's not op, but it is a good item, i do not think it needs a nerf

pengin9

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRkid View Post
Not every mechanic in the game has a direct counter. True damage has no real counter in this game its just something you have to learn to deal with.
the counter to true dmg is health

Fantá

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Correct, numbers are being changed for SR. You could say the same thing about Heal, and it doesn't destroy the game.
That's because you can just ignite them and it just counters the heal, but what counters a shield?

msgerbs

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha0sniper View Post
It's temporary health and heal isn't, so there's more counterplay.
Except Barrier can exceed your current health. You see veigar is about to drop an atomic bomb on your squishy ass, you hit barrier, and you could be at 100% HP and still see benefit. If you try to counter burst with heal you have about a 0.1 second window to use it in BETWEEN SPELLS, assuming you're not stunned.

msgerbs

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojs View Post
I don't know why people are saying it will destroy game play without even trying it. Those people who say it can only be used defensively are wrong imagine all the crazy dives that will happen. I think it will be very strong on junglers especially for securing early kills and contesting dragons/barons
No. You jungle with smite. Barrier doesn't help you kill buffs.

Tenshyo

11-07-2012

I agree with all of the first page, Barrier should NOT be on Summoner's Rift. It's much to rewarding to improper positioning and really bad plays, as OP stated.

Team fight breaks out, you'd see 4-6 Barrier's just show up.

Barrier in ARAM is completely fine, as there is nowhere to run or escape to. However as we all know, Summoner's Rift has plenty of escape routes and safer area's to escape to.

I can also see the benefits of it, take jungling for example, the jungler would no longer need a leash for first buff, thus letting their team mates spend more time in lane. Which honestly would be the ONLY reason I would use it IF it is actually is going to be on SR.

MigeruX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Correct, numbers are being changed for SR. You could say the same thing about Heal, and it doesn't destroy the game.
Even with the numbers changed. This is going to make Caitlyn's ultimate USELESS.

Zertryx

11-07-2012

in before everyone complains Barrier is useless when it comes out on SR after patch ...

Topsy Crets

11-07-2012

I still have a feeling that Barrier will be broken in SR. Just like Heal was before the slight nerf.

msgerbs

11-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topsy Crets View Post
I still have a feeling that Barrier will be broken in SR. Just like Heal was before the slight nerf.
I hate to break it to you, but heal was buffed for S2.