Creative Design AMA - Zed, the Master of Shadows

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LordOfLoot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2012

Why was the ninja master made into Shen's father? This doesn't seem to add anything to Zed's lore, but it makes Shen's story a little weird. It seems far less compelling that Shen's father was tortured when Shen's father ordered the torturing. Also Shen's father is the master of a ninja clan, which makes me think he is one if not the most resilient person(s) to torture in Runeterra.

Grand Viper

11-06-2012

Okay...lessee...

Zed is the Master of Shadows and Akali is the Fist of Shadows...

If Akali punched Zed's shadow, would he feel it?

RiotRunaan

Associate Creative Designer

11-06-2012
3 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbx View Post
Was Zed evil before being banished, or would there have been a way to make him realize his powers are no good? Was Zed evil only because of being alone and warped by darkness, or because he was enveloped in darkness from after the box's opening?
Good questions! You're really getting at the heart of Zed's story here. I hesitate to say that Zed is truly evil at all, because that's truly up to interpretation. There are a few turning points in his story--his choice to open the box, his banishment, and his return to the temple. One can choose to think that Zed was "evil" from the beginning, or that at any of these points he might have had a chance at redemption, or that there's still a chance at redemption in the future--it's pretty subjective, and we like it that way. Heck, you can even blame the master entirely! Perhaps Zed was right from the beginning! :)

From my personal standpoint, there's a lot to be said for the way that Shen's father treated Zed. Perhaps if the master had been more forgiving, or if he'd noticed Zed trying to gain his favor and responded, Zed might have chosen a different path.

Quote:
Do the Kinkou consider Zed beyond redemption and a personal enemy to balance that they find repugnant, or do they look at him as a small part of a greater issue that must be taken apart slowly, rather than at once?
They consider him a very formidable enemy, but I doubt they consider him utterly beyond redemption. The Kinkou wish to re-establish the balance upset by Zed's delving into forbidden arts, and there are multiple paths to that goal. Perhaps they can reason with him and convince Zed of his misdeeds, or perhaps they'll have to destroy him to regain order. Either way, the Kinkou will do what needs to be done.

Quote:
What does Zed think of Diana? Both of them have had hardships with getting others to accept a newfound revelation.

Edit: Of course, their stories aren't entirely similar. Diana's worship of the moon was never shown as inherently evil, while Zed's shadow powers were always forbidden knowledge.
Zed and Diana are both very single-minded about their goals, so I doubt they spend a lot of time sympathizing with each other. If they were ever to open up, they might find some common ground.

Quote:
How does Zed feel about Varus? How does Varus feel about Zed? When is Skribbles gonna give me that pic of Varus' Tatt?
Varus is very busy trying to have his vengeance against Noxus, and I doubt Varus really registers on Zed's radar at all. Zed might respect Varus' choice to seize dark power to achieve a goal, though.

I'll be sure to bother Skribbles about that picture of Varus' tatt. Skribbles is such a flake, man.

Quote:
When is he going to be released?
Actually, I'm not entirely sure! I'm sorry I can't give you any more information! : (

Quote:
Somebody (not necessarily Runaan) please explain why Zed cried out in pain but the other dude died.

I am not so steeped in lore that I Understand what is going on here.
Again, we left this intentionally vague--you'll find out what happened in that room in another story someday!

Quote:
What does the Order of Shadow stand for? If balance is a lie to them, what is their truth? I know the Kinkou stand for balance and equilibrium, but don't shadows represent a type of balance as well in a way (i.e. shadows as a distorted reflection of the self, representing our darker/repressed side)?

Are Zed et al. really diametrically opposed to Shen and his colleagues? Do they have a greater agenda that gives their training a purpose?

Does the box relate to anything we know about already in game?

Does Zed have any lieutenants worthy enough to join the Fields of Justice on their own?
Zed's Order of Shadow wants its students to fully realize their power and potential free of the constraints Ionia's "balance" places upon them. No power should be out of reach--no matter the consequences. Zed's order is under no illusion that they walk a dark path, they fully embrace it.

No, the box is a new element, we haven't discussed it before.

I touched on this lightly before, but Zed remains the leader and most powerful among the Order of Shadows, and this is intentional. He wants to remain the master of his students. None shall be his equal.

Quote:
I have to ask since it isn't spelled out, was the Kinkou Order the ninja order destroyed in Zed's lore or were they different organizations? Now that Zed is in possession of the dark arts box, did he enter the league after learning all its contents or is he still training? Were the contents of the box once part of the order's teachings or were they secrets taken from enemies?
As we've presented it now, the Kinkou Order was destroyed by Zed and rebuilt by Shen. We're going to have to smooth out some of the information in the ninjas' bios (Shen, Akali, Kennen) to really make this clear and to go into detail, but that'd the direction we'd like to take the story.

Zed is always training--he is a master of his technique, but that doesn't mean he cannot become more powerful. Perhaps there are other dark techniques out there, too, that Ionia hid away...

Good questions about the contents of the box, but whether or not the Kinkou ever taught the dark techniques or if they were used by the order's enemies is something we'd like to leave to speculation for now. :)

Para

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2012

Aside from Shen, how does Zed feel about Akali and Kennen? Love triangle between Zed and Shen for Akali maybe? xD

NotBuzzJack

11-06-2012

Quote:
Perhaps there are other dark techniques out there, too, that Ionia hid away...
That along with the Pit of Pallas, makes me think Ionia has a pretty dark past. So I would like to ask, is the box related in any way to the Rune Wars?

Alastaria

11-06-2012

It all makes sense to me now. Zed's master was actually the one who wanted the powers of the box for himself but could not actually open the box (He's traumatized by a Shaco Jack-in-box attack) so he elaborated the events so Zed could "incubate" the powers for him. When Zed realized he could not reach the peak of his powers and came back, the master led him to the box so he could open it once again. Once the box was opened ... DUN DUN DUN The master killed Zed. With his new shadow powers he devoured Zed's shadow and shadow melded to his image and now is the ultimate ninja warrior... or so the rumor says.

Kamku

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastaria View Post
It all makes sense to me now. Zed's master was actually the one who wanted the powers of the box for himself but could not actually open the box (He's traumatized by a Shaco Jack-in-box attack) so he elaborated the events so Zed could "incubate" the powers for him. When Zed realized he could not reach the peak of his powers and came back, the master led him to the box so he could open it once again. Once the box was opened ... DUN DUN DUN The master killed Zed. With his new shadow powers he devoured Zed's shadow and shadow melded to his image and now is the ultimate ninja warrior... or so the rumor says.
and he woulda got away with it too.

if it wasn't for that meddling kennen.

Leotamer

11-06-2012

If the two orders would meet, would Zed be able to take them out alone (the trio), or would Zed get his students to help him?

spicygochu

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para View Post
Aside from Shen, how does Zed feel about Akali and Kennen? Love triangle between Zed and Shen for Akali maybe? xD
akali loves kennen. i'm surprised people don't already know this.

Arrakasta

11-06-2012

Now that Zed has joined the league, would he look for more students in the main continent? And, hypothetically speaking, how would Zed fit within Noxus and/or it's values? I mean, Zed wants people to gain more power, and to make themselves more powerful. And Noxus wants it's people to become stronger. Hope this last question isn't too confusing and that I managed to explain it well. And one last thing, does Shen hates Zed? I mean, Shen wants balance, and hate can break that balance by guiding one to darker paths, like what happened with Varus. Once again, I hope this questions aren't too confusing and that you can answer them, thanks