Creative Design AMA - Zed, the Master of Shadows

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KeŠnu

11-06-2012

I'm really looking forward to buying Zed, is the patch to buy him coming out tonight? Also a lot of people are drawing comparisons between Zed and Shredder from TMNT, did you in fact get the concept from Shredder?

Evelynn Butt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2012

Is the fact that his name is Zed a tactical hint that we'll be getting more Canadian champions soon?

ploki122

11-06-2012

What was actually in the box so that it was "forbidden" while still being easily taught to any others to-be ninjas... I feel this one is a little bit weak, how can there be other shadowers when they haven't interacted with the box.

Timechild

11-06-2012

I got a couple questions about him.
1.Why did he join the League?
2.Does his allegiance lie with Ionia?
3. Shen's bio says " Shen is one of these shadow warriors..." What is the difference between his shadow ways and Zed's?

moogle890

11-06-2012

Is Zed's shadow sentient? If so, is that why the art of shadows is forbidden?

Would he ally himself with either Syndra or Diana? All three champs have similar situations in their backstories and might get along.

steady the boat

11-06-2012

how does zed effect akali and kennen?

penguinoid

11-06-2012

Zed's name, when i looked it up, means "Justice of God". Looking at his backstory, it seems in some ways his intent was to deliver his own form of "Justice" against his master for banishing him in his youth and never really giving him the praise he desired. Was the name "Zed" and it's meaning intentionally picked for him or did you guys pick that name because it sounded unique and different?

Chucky

11-06-2012

When Zed was first revealed it was clear to some players that he looked like "Shredder" from TMNT. I loved the character that Shredder was and I think it makes Zed that much cooler. Along with this, his clone brings some nostalgia to MK fans as well. When you guys design a champion, aside from the actual theme of the champ themselves, how do you guys choose which elements you like to include in the final design? (i.e The resemblance of "Shredder" and the nostalgia to Noob Saibot from Mortal Kombat)

Jonofthefunk

11-06-2012

I got two questions :3

#1: What does he think of Master Yi and Wukong, and the Wuju Style in general.

#2: If the shadow arts weren't forbidden in the first place, and Zed was actually respected for training hard and honing his skill to where he could finally beat Shen in a straight up duel, could he had been replacing him in the Kinkou 3 with Akali and Kennen?

RiotRunaan

Writer

11-06-2012
2 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Song View Post
Can you elaborate on the situation with Shen's father?
I can if you're a bit more specific. What would you like clarified?

Quote:
What makes the ability to create shadow clones of yourself, and by extension, the box, so "forbidden"?

Just seems like another tool, like teleportation, or stealth, both of which the other ninjas have no problems using.
We wanted to keep the reasoning behind the forbidden nature of Zed's techniques vague, because we didn't want Zed to be "wrong" for accessing and utilizing them in an absolute sense. They were forbidden long ago with the goal of balance in mind, and elder masters like Shen's father believe these specific techniques to be inherently corrupting--that using them leads one down a path of darkness and inhuman cruelty. To maintain balance in Ionia, they were suppressed. Are they corrupting? Perhaps, perhaps not. Zed doesn't believe so.

Quote:
What caused Zed to cry out in pain after following his old master into the temple?
Aha, I knew this question would pop up pretty quickly! This is another thing we'd like you to speculate on, because for the moment, we're saving that for later. : ) You'll find out what happened between Zed and Shen's father in a different story someday.

Quote:
What does Zed think of Yordles?

Does Zed know anything about Hiten Style, Zelos, Irelia, or anything in that regard?

What does Zed think of Syndra, and vice-versa?

Does Zed get annoyed by Talon being called "The Blade's Shadow"? And does Talon dislike Zed for ripping off his style?

What does Karma think of Zed, and what does Zed think of Karma?

Is Zed interested at all in the SHADOW Isles?

And finally, does could Zed and Nocturne have a potential partnership of darkness?
-Rodents, of course. Especially that Kennen fellow--what a disgrace! : )

-I don't think Zed has had much interaction with the Hiten Style or its practitioners at this point. He might have caught wind of its existence in his travels through Ionia, but to Zed, all techniques that are not his techniques are negligible until they stand in his way.

-Ohh, this is an interesting one. Though their paths have been different, Zed and Syndra have similar goals. Both believe the 'balance' that has maintained Ionia for so long must crumble for Ionia's people to come into their own and realize their full potential. Syndra might take interest in Zed's power, and given the right circumstances, an alliance between the two could "tip the scales" in Ionia all the more.

-Talon's not one to concern himself with Ionian affairs unless he's given a target and, so far, there's no reason for Zed to be on his list. That said, I think their styles are pretty different--you don't see Talon making shadow images of himself, and if you mean from a visual standpoint, well, there's plenty of "arm-mounted blades" to go around.

-Karma sees Zed as a dangerous force of chaos in Ionia and believes he must be stopped. For Zed, Karma is just another perpetrator of "balance" that stands in his way.

-Haha, no, Zed has no interest in the Shadow Isles right now. He has a lot more to be concerned with than legends and rumors of the undead horrors there. : )

-Zed and Nocturne, hm? That could be very interesting!

Quote:
When does Zed's story take place in relation to Shen joining the league?

Will the other three ninjas have a story rework?

Does Zed's story hint at a possible second ninja triumvirate?
The timeline is a little unclear right now, but it's safe to say that Zed's story takes place before Shen joining the League.

We have a LOT of awesome ideas on how to add more to the stories of the three ninjas now that Zed has hit the scene. I can't promise an immediate rework of their bios, but the story of the Kinkou is one we definitely want to develop. There's so much to explore here!

As for the third question, the triumvirate is a relationship of balance and trust. Zed prefers to stand above his fellows--none shall be his equal.

Quote:
Is the current design goal to always introduce champions that have enemies (lorewise) either in the league or with planned champions?
Not necessarily. We really like to do this when it makes sense and adds to the character, but it isn't always a goal we set out with for every champion. As a side note, who said new champions always have to have enemies and not friends...?

Quote:
for once will you guys just tell who the voice actor for Zed is please. rumor is it's Steve Blum
Can't say, but it's definitely not Steve Blum! Sorry!