Creative Design AMA - Zed, the Master of Shadows

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ALLIIAN

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2012

How does Zed think of Akali and Kennen?
How old were Akali and Kennen during the massacre, and were they part of the organization?

How does Shen think of Zed? Shen believes in true balance, interesting controversy

Will Zed have a special interaction with the other ninjas, with Shen, or no interaction at all

RiotRunaan

Writer

11-06-2012
6 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolvor View Post
So Zed is rival of Shen but what about Akali and Kennen?
His primary rival is Shen, but he is still a great enemy of Akali and Kennen.

Quote:
Is Shen's father going to used more?

and

Is Shen's lore going to be changed?
I'm not sure what you mean by "used" more, but he's an established character, so could potentially reference him in future stories.

We will eventually do an update to Shen's lore to encompass more of his story with Zed, but we don't have an exact time frame of when this will happen.

Quote:
Let's see... dark techniques that were hidden away long ago, resurrected by a vengeful individual who challenged the strictures and stance of an established organization. Sounds like Zed has an awful lot in common with Diana. What would these two think of each other?
These dark techniques are assumed to be corrupting (with no proof) and the Solari apparently saw no benefit in living in balance with a Moon-worshipping society; might there be a link here?
I talked about this a bit before. Their lives certainly have had some similarities, but they have little reason to interact. On top of that, both of them are pursuing their goals, which are pretty far removed from each other, as no connection between the Order of Shadow and the Lunari was intended.

Quote:
Will Zed be raising an army against the balance, or at least his own faction of ninja's who oppose balance as Shen, Kennen, and Akali maintain it?

What is Zed's reasons for joining the league, instead of just killing the other ninjas beyond politics?
He's already got an army of sorts, and it will keep growing. They intend to end "balance" as Ionia has known it for so long--but of course, the Kinkou are going to try to stop them!

Mentioned before: he likely joins the League to pursue Shen, Akali, and Kennen. He could also be seeking more hidden knowledge or clues to lead him to forbidden power.

Quote:
Has the skin Bladestorm Zed any relationship to his lore? Is it pre-shadow box Zed uniform? and if it is Shall we wait for a Shen "matching" skin?

One last thing, Great job i am looking forward to see him in action.
No, his launch skin will have no connection to canon as of right now, sorry!

Thank you, the team is really proud of our badass shadow ninja--I really hope you enjoy him too! : )

Quote:
As were Zed and Shen friends outside of their rivalry? What does Zed think of the other two of the Kinkou Trio?

Finally, if Zed and Shen were equally strong before Zed learned the forbidden arts, does that mean that Zed is stronger than Shen is right now? If not, what did Shen have to do to catch up to his former rival?
Shen had no animosity towards Zed initially. He saw him as a strong fellow student and respected him quite a bit. Perhaps he was even a little jealous of the fact that from his perspective, Zed's training was easier, as the master's training of Shen was incredibly strict. If they'd had a better understanding of each other, they might've ended up friends or at least allies.

Zed thinks Akali is a powerful ninja whose talent is wasted with the Kinkou, and he thinks Kennen is a disgrace.

Finally, Shen has come into his own as the Eye of Twilight. For the moment, he and Zed are likely evenly matched.

Quote:
This is probably a little too much speculation, but Zed ordered his followers to kill the other ninjas. Was Zed just sitting around doing nothing while Shen saved a few of his clanmates? Because according to the lore, Zed had surpassed Shen in power, and if he had fought him head on, then none of them would have escaped alive, while the shadow ninjas slew everyone, and while Zed deals with Shen, unless Shen had grown stronger by following the path of balance through and true.
It is a lot of speculation for what we've spelled out in the bio. I don't want to get into too much detail, because we'd like to save the play-by-play for a space in which the story has room to breathe. Essentially, though, Shen wanted to fight Zed, but he focused his efforts on getting his fellows to safety. Despite Zed's efforts, Shen managed to escape. Shen had in fact grown stronger by following the path of balance--when Zed took over the temple, Shen had truly become the Eye of Twilight.

AlaztorX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2012

Is Shen's father truly dead? Or he an Zed have some deeper,evil connection?

Kamku

11-06-2012

Would zed be willing to save shen if giving the chance?/vice versa

i think killing your dad is a good reason to left him fall off a clift >.<

silly one next

What other emotes did you have in mind for his joke? there are alot of games he could play with himself and alot of potential in a joke of him interacting with himself so did any of your favorites just not make it?

NotBuzzJack

11-06-2012

How does Zed see Ryze? Ryze is keeping knowledge from people in that scroll.

AlaztorX

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRunaan View Post
Nothing with Vayne or Leona, no, sorry! : (

Good question--I'll have to look at him in-game!

Kitae has spoken about this in the past, but essentially, explaining why a champion joined the League in previous bios usually felt like a one-liner without much depth and drew focus away from the character's story. Read Kitae's explanation here!

Zed doesn't consider the Void a threat. He probably finds Lux childish and naive... and he's not really fond of light being thrown around while he's trying to do his shadowy moves, after all. : )

We're deliberately saving the question of what happened in the temple for a different story. As for the others you've mentioned--well, we'll have to wait and see how/if those develop... : P

It's fairly simple, on a spectrum of light and darkness, where balance is the middle ground, shadows seemed an understandable representation of the far end of that scale.

We feel that connections between champions, be they friendship or rivalry or somewhere in between, add to the depth and "big picture" of the League of Legends universe. We develop them where we can--they're fun for players (especially in game--who doesn't like killing their champion's lore rival?), and we get a lot of mileage out of them. Plus, they leave open the potential for so many future stories!

And for the last question... as soon as we're able to talk about them. These things take a lot of time!

I'm not really sure I understand the first question--he stacks up pretty well, I'd say, as champions are typically of comparable power levels.

For the second question, Zed will prove his superiority in any way he can.

He may have had a "favorite student" at one point... but this particular student is no longer a part of his Order. :O
Akali?

Yoshimoryuken

11-06-2012

Was akali Zed's favorite student?
Can we beat Zed in game if we turn shadows off?
If zed had a student that turned out to be equal to him in power what would happen?
Is zed going to play a pivotal war in some coming war for ionia?
cookies?

Yoshimoryuken

11-06-2012

Pivotal war hurr durr, i meant pivotal role my bad

NickDunbar

11-06-2012

Will Zed have "This unit is a Flippin ninja" buff"

LightEcho

11-06-2012

Shen has shadow dash ... shadow magic was forbidden and its practitioner killed his father. Explain yourself riot. Is Shen secretly in league with Zed? Did Shen turn to the inorder to equal his rival?
Okay but seriously some feedback good lore great champ, awful ,awful,awful name.
Also there seems to be a large influx of evil/corrupt Ionians lately, Varus,Syndra,Zed any plans to counter balance this with more of the regular variety?
Or better yet an overzealous Ionian who takes enforcing balance into their own hands perhaps even holding themselves above this standard to better pursue this path?
And finally most important of all what is Zed's Shadow's name? Shadow bro? Willump2?